Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I'm still running ios6 on my ipad 3 and I don't see any reason to upgrade. It runs smoothly. But I just want to see how other people who did upgrade to 7 are doing these days?

Thanks

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm still running ios6 on my ipad 3 and I don't see any reason to upgrade. It runs smoothly. But I just want to see how other people who did upgrade to 7 are doing these days?

Thanks

If you are happy stay put. My iPad 3 is still running 5.1.1 and it will stay that way. I may even put that sucker in a time capsule. :D

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
If you are happy stay put. My iPad 3 is still running 5.1.1 and it will stay that way. I may even put that sucker in a time capsule. :D

out of curiosity why didn't you upgrade to ios 6? don't see a reason not to

----------

Thanks

7.1 much smoother than 7.0

generally happy with it, i prefer consistency between my phone and tablet.

this may sound too metaphoric, but ios 6 feels very solid and tangible while ios 7 feels much lighter and... in a way... weaker. this is way more apparent on ipad than iphone.

but if you're question is if it simply runs well, it does. stable, smooth, quick enough.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Nothing to scream home about, but its a lot better on 7.1 than it was on 7.0

Still better than my old iPhone 3G running 4.2.1 - That was a bad time.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
At the time I didn't want to lose the Youtube and Google map apps and I read there were some battery issues with iOS 6.

Those apps are incomparably better now, although at this point you'd have to give into iOS 7.

Really though, both of them completely outshine what they used to be when they were native apps. One of the better decisions Apple has made.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Those apps are incomparably better now, although at this point you'd have to give into iOS 7.

Really though, both of them completely outshine what they used to be when they were native apps. One of the better decisions Apple has made.
And/or Google.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
iOS 7.1 is better than 7.0 on iPad 3, but iOS6 is smoother.
Scrolling in Safari is better on iOS.
I have iOS 7.1 on my iPad3, it's working quite well, but my iPad was faster and snappier on iOS6.

BUT, alla applications have an iOS7 look and feel now, and it doesn't match very well with iOS6 ...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Yeah i'm sure they are much better now but I actually prefer the Youtube UI format on the iOS 5 version. Be that as it may iOS 5 is ultra smooth on the iPad 3 and Apple disabled some iOS 7 features like blur effect for whatever reason.

Now if iOS 8 is available for the iPad 3 and is a much better and complete experience on the iPad 3 I will consider it at that time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'd say mediocre to well. iPad 3 never had stellar performance to begin with.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
And/or Google.

True. In the end it benefitted both companies.

----------

Yeah i'm sure they are much better now but I actually prefer the Youtube UI format on the iOS 5 version. Be that as it may iOS 5 is ultra smooth on the iPad 3 and Apple disabled some iOS 7 features like blur effect for whatever reason.

Now if iOS 8 is available for the iPad 3 and is a much better and complete experience on the iPad 3 I will consider it at that time.

You won't miss blur effect. Some even prefer it. You only notice it missing in notification and control center, and a bit in apps like safari at the top bar. It's that an airdrop, which I do actually miss on the iPad. That is due to hardware limitations and I don't believe you'll see it on the iPad with iOS 8.

Other than the blue and airdrop, it's a complete experience.

If you have any interest in playing playlists on youtube, or playing music from youtube in the background while using other apps, this is where the new version will be beneficial to you.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You won't miss blur effect. Some even prefer it. You only notice it missing in notification and control center, and a bit in apps like safari at the top bar.

Nah, I miss it on my iPad 2 so that's another strike against iOS 7 for me. Oh and that reminds me that at least blur effect is in spotlight (iPad 2) so that's even worse that it was removed on the iPad 3.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I've got nothing to gripe about. I own a 32GB iPad Air and a 64GB iPad 3rd Gen, both with VZW radios in them. I ran 7.1 starting with Beta 5 and now the GM, and I'd planned on selling the 3rd Gen but it's very serviceable. Interface issues aside - I like iOS 5 and 6, but I thought 7 was laggy on both iPads. iOS 7.1 makes the iPad 3rd Gen work for me - it's used in my small business - and nobody dislikes the interface, and it works very well. I took it on a road trip this weekend and used it for mail and a couple of simple games, then used its mobile hotspot (I have UL data) to provide LTE data to my rMBP to watch a few Coachilla sessions (QOTSA rocked!).

I actually didn't miss the Air, which my business partner took with him. IMO, 7.1 made my older iPad desirable to use again. I don't mind the look and feel of iOS 7. I left the 3rd Gen with a friend to use for 7-10 days, and she was going to buy a Galaxy Tab 10.1 on Saturday (she owns a Galaxy SIII), and now she wants an iPad - so my old "tank" sold over a Samsung user. There you go.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Thanks

iOS 7.1 runs fine on my iPad mini which is slower than your iPad 3.

PalmerL

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
I haven't noticed any issues with iOS 7.1 on my iPad 3. If you like the look of iOS7 like me than there is no reason not to update :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.