Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
There's really nothing funny about it. The people that pay that type of money aren't there as spectators, they are developers running a software business and they see that amount of money they spend for a WWDC ticket as chump change and is going to be a tax write-off anyway.

Exactly! I know one iOS / MFi developer where the WWDC fee ($1600) is less than two days full time at his billing rate. Can easily see him working off a Mac Book Pro between sessions and hotel rooms.

----------

Just "for fun"? You do realize you've taken the opportunity away from other developers, correct?

Not really, I am sure there will be a secondary distribution for those who do not buy a ticket but won the opportunity. Then again, who know what kind of black mark that makes on someone's Apple developer account.

Last edited:

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Just "for fun"? You do realize you've taken the opportunity away from other developers, correct?
Nope, incorrect. Apple will sell all the tickets. So if I don't purchase the ticket by the 14th, the open slot will simply go to another happy developer.

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Not really, I am sure there will be a secondary distribution for those who do not buy a ticket but won the opportunity. Then again, who know what kind of black mark that makes on someone's Apple developer account.

I think that a secondary random distribution open to "all" developers is unlikely, unless there's a really large percentage who don't purchase. If they have extra tickets, they'll reach out to specific developers/companies to fill them.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I'm going to WWDC -- I'm all paid up. A dream come true

Congratulations, that is awesome.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the make up of people who go to these? How many are successful developers and how many are aspiring to become successful developers? How many are private developers and how many work for large companies that develop popular software?

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
I'm thinking of a 28-32" 4k 60hz display for same $999 Thunderbolt Display.

If they could make it decent that would work. So far it seems like every cheap 4k screen is pretty awful.

I remember back in the day (97?) they first introduced their flat panel displays - even though they were over $1,500 they were some of the first "decent" ones out there that didn't have terrible color issues.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I really hope Apple announces Photo Viewer or something for iCloud.

I want to be able to see my photos on icloud.com like you can with OneDrive, DropBox, etc. I hate that there's no file viewer. Apple is pushing icloud.com a lot with iWork stuff, so they need to enhance the rest of the experience to match - let me control my files, folders, view pdfs, images, etc..

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
That's stupid. You can't even enter the lottery unless you're a part of the developer program before the lottery started, so he couldn't have won something he could never have entered from the start.

I hope your job is worth dealing with that sort of thing...

I knew he couldn't enter the lottery.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
dysfunctional

I knew he couldn't enter the lottery.

He knew he couldn't enter the lottery either, but you could have entered… Very dysfunctional (passive aggressive), and quite sad behavior. A simple 'No' would have been more effective, but that is a rare thing in this industry. But…

WWDC is NOT for bottom feeders like your boss, you, and also me.. But, being an independent developer, I'm going anyway…

tomwilson

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the make up of people who go to these? How many are successful developers and how many are aspiring to become successful developers? How many are private developers and how many work for large companies that develop popular software?

From my experience its a bit of everything - from *long time* mac developers, through to people who have never made an app before but want to, through to people who just got their company to pay for it and don't have any interest in it at all :)

I 'won' the lottery but I went last year and its a long way to go for me (Australia) so I'm not sure if I'm gonna pay for it or not.. been hovering on the purchase button all night as I'm running out of time :eek:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Congratulations, that is awesome.

The only stat well verified is that it's 100% nerds and not a single good looking female in sight. :)

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
From my experience its a bit of everything - from *long time* mac developers, through to people who have never made an app before but want to, through to people who just got their company to pay for it and don't have any interest in it at all :)

I 'won' the lottery but I went last year and its a long way to go for me (Australia) so I'm not sure if I'm gonna pay for it or not.. been hovering on the purchase button all night as I'm running out of time :eek:

Cool thanks, Maybe someday I'll get to attend.

The only stat well verified is that it's 100% nerds and not a single good looking female in sight. :)

Amen, maybe there are some strip clubs nearby.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I finally got a quick head count amongst my close developer buddies. Nothing scientific about this, but for purposes of reverse engineering any kind of biasing :)

9 people entered (excluding myself), 3 independent developers 2 from small (<5) person shops, 4 from 20+ person companies (but < 50, so still small businesses), at least 4 had been to WWDC before (I say at least, since 2 folks didn’t indicate, and I’m not 100% sure). All iOS [only] developers.

~33% (3 of 9), none from the same company.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Same here. And time has run out...

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I find it curious that there's not been a batch of new lottery winners. I assumed that the next batch would be notified within a reasonably short period of time after the first batch's time ran out.

Not that I really care as I have my ticket already, but just find it interesting.

(Even got a B&B booked vs. a ridiculously expensive hotel. Just as close to Moscone, but with a full kitchen and much more space -- for about $1000 (yes, you read that right... $1000 less for a 7 night stay in Frisco).)

Oh, people in San Francisco love when you call the city 'Frisco'. Just FYI.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I find it curious that there's not been a batch of new lottery winners. I assumed that the next batch would be notified within a reasonably short period of time after the first batch's time ran out.

Not that I really care as I have my ticket already, but just find it interesting.

(Even got a B&B booked vs. a ridiculously expensive hotel. Just as close to Moscone, but with a full kitchen and much more space -- for about $1000 (yes, you read that right... $1000 less for a 7 night stay in Frisco).)

Oh, people in San Francisco love when you call the city 'Frisco'. Just FYI.
They sure do love it. Also "San Fran".

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
They sure do love it. Also "San Fran".

Darn, I forgot about that one..

Right; Frisco and/or San-Fran are both loved by those who live up in San Francisco.

Also, make sure you pronounce the two words, "San" and "Francisco" as two separate and distinct words. In absolutely NO CASE should you ever run those two words together. They are distinct words; make sure they stay that way.

eyephonesix

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
Scott Forstall probably didn't get one.

No, because he'd get a free ticket as a given, obviously. :)

----------

Darn, I forgot about that one..

Right; Frisco and/or San-Fran are both loved by those who live up in San Francisco.

Also, make sure you pronounce the two words, "San" and "Francisco" as two separate and distinct words. In absolutely NO CASE should you ever run those two words together. They are distinct words; make sure they stay that way.

Fran Sancisco? :p

My friend repeatedly spells "San Diego" as "SanDiago", all one word, regardless of how many times I silently correct him by answering back spelling it correctly... >__>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.