Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scvrcfan8080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Hey guys I have an iPhone 5 on sprint and the cell data cuts in and out if I go onto a big web page or get directions or having lots of apps open that use the internet. It goes back on in 15 seconds. It's getting to be a problem. It's not jail broken and I've have restored it several times, so I don't know what's wrong. Should I reinstall the sim?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey guys I have an iPhone 5 on sprint and the cell data cuts in and out if I go onto a big web page or get directions or having lots of apps open that use the internet. It goes back on in 15 seconds. It's getting to be a problem. It's not jail broken and I've have restored it several times, so I don't know what's wrong. Should I reinstall the sim?
Are you in an area currently undergoing Network Vision upgrades? If you are, it's likely that you are experiencing network problems.

Sprint has been upgrading about ~38K towers, replacing all the equipment. This involves turning towers on and off and testing.

Did it just start recently, or has this been an ongoing problem?

Scvrcfan8080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
It has been an ongoing issue, I live in Thousand Oaks, CA and I don't know if they are doing it. If I try to load something big on cellular data, it just completely cuts out, the data, it happens all over. Anywhere. And it's happening now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It has been an ongoing issue, I live in Thousand Oaks, CA and I don't know if they are doing it. If I try to load something big on cellular data, it just completely cuts out, the data, it happens all over. Anywhere. And it's happening now.
Hmmm¬well if it's not NV upgrades then I would suggest taking your phone in to have it checked as this does not sound normal. If you bought Applecare+, Apple can replace it if there's an issue. If you're covered by TEP then you'll have to deal with Sprint and Asurion.

At the very least an Apple store can check it. They do that for free and they'll tell you if there is anything wrong with it. From there you can decide. If you don't have AC+, or TEP you can probably get an Out Of Warranty replacement for around $269 if there is something wrong with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.