Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hi all,

Could you please offer your advice on what inexpensive (under $100) or free Mac image editing apps can do dropshadows?

I used Photoshop on OS 9 for years, but this eventually required firing up an old iMac just to do a dropshadow, so I gave that up.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Spend the money on Pixelmator if you need it for more than once or twice over the next few days. Pretty good program for $30.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hi guys,

Many thanks for your suggestions, appreciate it.

Oops, my bad, I should have specified that I need something that will work on SnowLeopard. I was going to jump on Pixelmator, but it requires Mavericks according to the site, and um, I ain't a gonna be goin there... :)

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Hi guys,

Many thanks for your suggestions, appreciate it.

Oops, my bad, I should have specified that I need something that will work on SnowLeopard. I was going to jump on Pixelmator, but it requires Mavericks according to the site, and um, I ain't a gonna be goin there... :)

Yep, Pixelmator is always moving forward -which was the reason I updated to Mountain Lion & then Mavericks. But anyway, you're in luck. There ARE earlier Acorn versions available for previous OS X's. Scroll all the way toward the bottom of the page: http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Ok, I've got Acorn. It does look like a pretty useful program, most likely worth the modest price. I'm pretty sure I'll wind up buying it.

I'm sorry to report that making drop shadows is about 10 times more work in Acorn than using Photoshop in System 9 (pre-OSX), a twenty year old program. Hmm, maybe I don't really need drop shadows so much...

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Ok, I've got Acorn. It does look like a pretty useful program, most likely worth the modest price. I'm pretty sure I'll wind up buying it.

I'm sorry to report that making drop shadows is about 10 times more work in Acorn than using Photoshop in System 9 (pre-OSX), a twenty year old program. Hmm, maybe I don't really need drop shadows so much...

There's a box in which you check Layer Shadows, and then you tweak the offset and size & opacity. I used an older version of Adobe Creative Suite, but Acorn doesn't seem any more time consuming ---just different interface. Perhaps it's unfamiliarity with the GUI?

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Perhaps it's unfamiliarity with the GUI?

Yea, I think that's it. Thanks to your post I dug deeper in to the manual (which looks pretty great) and discovered some other ways to drop shadow that should be pretty easy once I've done them a few more times.

Thanks again for solving my question. On top of being able to drop shadow, Acorn looks like it will be a useful addition to my image toolbox in other areas as well.

Once Mavericks gets to version 9.34 :) I'll give your other suggestions a try.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Yea, I think that's it. Thanks to your post I dug deeper in to the manual (which looks pretty great) and discovered some other ways to drop shadow that should be pretty easy once I've done them a few more times.

Thanks again for solving my question. On top of being able to drop shadow, Acorn looks like it will be a useful addition to my image toolbox in other areas as well.

Once Mavericks gets to version 9.34 :) I'll give your other suggestions a try.

I'm glad it's working out for you. I bought Acorn a week ago after having read a lot of good stuff about it on these forums for a few years, so i can't say I'm very proficient with it yet, myself. I was happy to see that the Dev's website has a lot of helpful tutorials and a community forum too. All good stuff and encouraging for future development.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hi all,

Could you please offer your advice on what inexpensive (under $100) or free Mac image editing apps can do dropshadows?

I used Photoshop on OS 9 for years, but this eventually required firing up an old iMac just to do a dropshadow, so I gave that up.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Pixelmator on sale for $15 over the next week. Good chance to grab it for cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.