Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have a new 13 inch MBP. Can I connect it to an old 30 inch cinema display? Will I need an adapter?

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, you need a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. eBay probably has some:

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
1.) Is this the easiest way to quickly connect and disconnect the Mac from the display?

2.) Will photos and video from the Mac look good on the display?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
1.) Is this the easiest way to quickly connect and disconnect the Mac from the display?

Thanks!

1. Yes, as only that adapter supports the 2560 x 1600 pixels.

2. Probably, if it is still in top shape.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

Thanks!

If you want full resolution on that 30-inch display, then you need the listed mDP to dual-link adapter. Apple's is almost $100 - and Monoprice has a similar one for less than $75. Apple's provides a USB connection to the display. The Monoprice adapter uses USB for extra power, but not for connection to the USB ports on the display. Both give you the full res video, however.

And, yes, photos and videos will look good.

simsaladimbamba meant "supports the 2560 x 1600 pixel" - I'm guessing :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.