Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SweetDove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
We're switching carriers so I'm going to be able to get a 5s!

I've always used an otterbox defender, but it makes it hard to use swipe gestures and I really would like to use the fingerprint reader. I'm looking at the gold colored phone.

I'm looking for:
Non-yellowing

Covers front of phone sufficiently either with lip or screen cover.

Protects against drops on gravel/concrete from at least chest height. (I tend to have my phone fall off my lap when getting out of my car. I live on a rock road)

The otterbox has been stellar protecting against my clumsiness and I'd be heartbroken if my phone broke.

Any recommendations? I was looking at the tech21 in blue, but that isn't really clear...

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I'm using the Spigen Ultra Hybrid crystal clear. I accidentally tripped on the sidewalk and out flew my 5s that I was handing to a friend which fell on the concrete. No scratches to the case and no damages to the iPhone. So far I like the look of my Ultra Hybrid crystal clear case better than my Black one. Both are great. I do switch them up.

No yellowing. The grip is nice. Scratches on the back are less noticeable than the frosted cases. After a month of use I have maybe one little line but I wouldn't worry because plastic scratches and two this case is only $10. But it feels better than most $50 cases.

http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Japane...397614279&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+ultra+hybrid

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
I'm using the Spigen Ultra Hybrid crystal clear. I accidentally tripped on the sidewalk and out flew my 5s that I was handing to a friend which fell on the concrete. No scratches to the case and no damages to the iPhone. So far I like the look of my Ultra Hybrid crystal clear case better than my Black one. Both are great. I do switch them up.

No yellowing. The grip is nice. Scratches on the back are less noticeable than the frosted cases. After a month of use I have maybe one little line but I wouldn't worry because plastic scratches and two this case is only $10. But it feels better than most $50 cases.

http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Japane...397614279&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+ultra+hybrid

Ditto...!!

I'm using the same case for my gold iPhone 5s...and it's my fav case too.

phillyi

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
+2 on the ultra hybrid!

I've tried several cases (clear and otherwise) and this is by far my favorite.

And in case any of you guys have to replace your lightning cable and looking at the amazonbasics cable it IS compatible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.