Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I am soldering TRRS but want to ignore App/Mic function and just use a simple TRS connector for easy repair in the future as well.

Is it possible to solder 3 wires instead of 4? Seems like it should be since Ill still have G-L-R.

Thanks

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I am soldering TRRS but want to ignore App/Mic function and just use a simple TRS connector for easy repair in the future as well.

Is it possible to solder 3 wires instead of 4? Seems like it should be since Ill still have G-L-R.

Thanks
Why not just get a 3 pole?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Why not just get a 3 pole?

TRRS is 4-Pole right? That's what my headphones already are. At least I think they are. They are the Beats jogging earphones with volume control. Not a mic or app control.

I took apart the jack to see how it was soldered. There are 4 wires.

One wire that goes lowest on the side of the jack, one that goes a bit higher also on the side and two that are BOTH soldered to the top of the jack tip. Which is interesting because I thought no two wires are supposed to touch let alone be soldered to the same area.

So are you saying TRRS can be 3-pole and 4-pole?

I thought TRRS is 4-pole and TRS is 3-pole.

Mine looks like this. Cannot fix to factory as that seal can only be done in factory.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413+kLYGo6L.jpg

But I want to use this for ease of repair plus TRRS isn't readily available in Japan.http://cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/earbud-stereo-jack-plug-wiring.jpg

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
TRRS is 4-Pole right? That's what my headphones already are. At least I think they are. They are the Beats jogging earphones with volume control. Not a mic or app control.

I took apart the jack to see how it was soldered. There are 4 wires.

One wire that goes lowest on the side of the jack, one that goes a bit higher also on the side and two that are BOTH soldered to the top of the jack tip. Which is interesting because I thought no two wires are supposed to touch let alone be soldered to the same area.

So are you saying TRRS can be 3-pole and 4-pole?

I thought TRRS is 4-pole and TRS is 3-pole.

Mine looks like this. Cannot fix to factory as that seal can only be done in factory.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413+kLYGo6L.jpg

But I want to use this for ease of repair plus TRRS isn't readily available in Japan.http://cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/earbud-stereo-jack-plug-wiring.jpg
TRS is 3 pole, if you are not going to use the mic you don't need the forth pole. I don't know if you can just not wire it. That might cause a weird grounding issue. Left, right, ground, mic is what the 4 poles are.

Actually that is most likely a balanced plug in which case you need all four poles wired.
HiFiMan_RE262RE272_plugdiagram.jpg

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
yes but if you're not using the volume control button on the chest cable then why would you need 4 pole? why would there be a grounding issue when I'm still grounding it?

4 wires = M-G-L-R

I am simply not connecting M.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
yes but if you're not using the volume control button then why would you need 4 pole? why would there be a grounding issue when I'm still grounding it?

4 wires = M-G-L-R

I am simply not connecting M.
You might get a buzz from the unconnected pin.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
You might get a buzz from the unconnected pin.

Thats assuming I'm using a jack that has that many pins right? I mean if there are only 3 connecting points on the jack I buy and I only use 3 out of my 4 wires then.........?

Anyway here is my original jack. Had to melt the factory rubber to see how the original jack looks. Iactually can't find ANY online that are just like it. Some are close but not exact. Above the sleeve mine seems to be a solid pice of metal with no bands like other jacks. Well actually I guess there are three distinct areas to solder to. Notice how the two wires connect together at the top. I thought this is supposed to be a no no.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 331
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 258

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
What you should have done is cut away the outer plastic cover on the cable, and checked the continuity of the cables underneath with each of the poles of the connector... now it's a mess (not impossible, just a mess)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
What you should have done is cut away the outer plastic cover on the cable, and checked the continuity of the cables underneath with each of the poles of the connector... now it's a mess (not impossible, just a mess)
That jack is useless now, the whole thing is warped.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Ummm I never planned to use that jack.

It had to be destroyed to get at it to look at it. It was factory sealed with something that would never come off unless you burned it.

I actually have the identical jack on an extension cable that came with the headphones so I could use that if I wanted to BUT I don't want to use it AND I can't because again the factory uses some hard stuff that is bonded to it an can only be burned off.

Anyway off topic. I want to repair using the easier jacks.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ummm I never planned to use that jack.

It had to be destroyed to get at it to look at it. It was factory sealed with something that would never come off unless you burned it.

I actually have the identical jack on an extension cable that came with the headphones so I could use that if I wanted to BUT I don't want to use it AND I can't because again the factory uses some hard stuff that is bonded to it an can only be burned off.

Anyway off topic. I want to repair using the easier jacks.
They are sealed so you can't pull them apart.:p

What are the headphones?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
They are sealed so you can't pull them apart.:p

What are the headphones?

As I mentioned above, the Beats jogging earphones. Best sound quality in earphones I've ever heard. I think the Beats studio headphones suck but these are insanely good. Don't want to spend another $200+. Got them as a present. I also linked to a picture above of the original cable.

The jack is inaccessible unless you destroy them or put in some rubber eating liquid solution I guess.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
As I mentioned above, the Beats jogging earphones. Best sound quality in earphones I've ever heard. I think the Beats studio headphones suck but these are insanely good. Don't want to spend another $200+. Got them as a present. I also linked to a picture above of the original cable.

The jack is inaccessible unless you destroy them or put in some rubber eating liquid solution I guess.
Beats are overpriced for what they are, but anyways. Are they in ear or cans? and can you get a model number?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Beats are overpriced for what they are, but anyways. Are they in ear or cans? and can you get a model number?
the studio cans are overpriced, these are not. Better than any other earphones out there and I've heard most of them including ones from traditional pro audio brands. Especially the brands out there making jogging earphones.

http://www.beatsbydre.com/earphones/powerbeats/black/900-00005-01.html

But I really am just looking for a simple stereo jack to solder because I don't need the volume control function.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
the studio cans are overpriced, these are not. Better than any other earphones out there and I've heard most of them including ones from traditional pro audio brands. Especially the brands out there making jogging earphones.

http://www.beatsbydre.com/earphones/powerbeats/black/900-00005-01.html

But I really am just looking for a simple stereo jack to solder because I don't need the volume control function.
If you don't want the volume jack just get a standard TRS jack. You will need to find out what wires go to what.

Just splice the cord and re-solder.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
If you don't want the volume jack just get a standard TRS jack. You will need to find out what wires go to what.

Just splice the cord and re-solder.
but you said there might be buzz. Why would you say that? Also when I said TRS you said why not get a 3-pole which is what TRS is so what did you mean? Are you actually an electrician? :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
but you said there might be buzz. Why would you say that?
The TRRS has 4 pins a standard TRS is only 3. I don't know if the empty ring will cause interference. The 3 ring TRS would function as a standard stereo plug. Plus the normal TRS should be easier to find.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
The TRRS has 4 pins a standard TRS is only 3. I don't know if the empty ring will cause interference. The 3 ring TRS would function as a standard stereo plug. Plus the normal TRS should be easier to find.
yeah TRS is easy to find in Japan but TRRS I need to get on ebay or something. Ill try out the TRS at least and see what happens. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.