Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
And how many of those millions would PAY FOR IT? I really don't think you, or the supposed experts, get it. A lot of people go to ROMs because they're free and easy.

I bet a lot more would pay for it than your obviously pessimistic and unrealistic mind. I'm not bothering to reply to you anymore as you're just being deliberately obtuse and ignoring any logical and sensible debate.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I bet a lot more would pay for it than your obviously pessimistic and unrealistic mind. I'm not bothering to reply to you anymore as you're just being deliberately obtuse and ignoring any logical and sensible debate.

When you have a logical and sensible point, I'll listen to it.

Also, I can storm off and pretend to have the high ground as well.

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany

Sorry to intrude here, but I'm not sure if your arguments are perfect financially. You suggested that they could make £1 million on the side easily, but consider that Nintendo is making about $6 BILLION per year, and the latest Pokemon game alone has made more than $500 million so far, 6 months after release, and while they may make a $50 or $100 million loss this year, they still have over $10 billion in the bank. £1 measly million from smartphones would be completely inconsequential for their bottom line.

The AppStore on the other hand has been taken over by braindead, manipulative freemium games. Honest $1 games are actually doing worse and worse by many indie developer's accounts, so Nintendo would enter a stagnant or shrinking market (paid downloads) with a niche product (retro games).

And lastly, you are not considering the downsides for the company. Offering retro games on smartphones would take away one exclusive feature of their current devices and therefore diminish sales (again, 3DS hardware sales brought in $1.5 to $2 billion last year and are profitable), and these games would be presented in a substandard manner without proper controls and with odd screen resolutions and emulation quirks, which would likely disappoint mainstream customers more than encouraging them to buy more Nintendo products.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
BTW, justifying Apple's decision to forbid any kinds of computer / console emulators supporting arbitrary (and not just a pre-set) titles by stating 99% of the users would surely load illegally acquired cartridge dumps on them,

the same could easily be stated on video players. Many-many users torrent their movies, particularly in poor(er) countries. Apple still doesn't ban third-party players from their store by stating those players allow for playing pirated videos. Why? The answer is pretty simple IMHO: emulators running legacy games may indeed cause Apple financial loss when people just play with old games instead of purchasing remakes / emulated "native" versions from the AppStore.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Sorry to intrude here, but I'm not sure if your arguments are perfect financially. You suggested that they could make £1 million on the side easily, but consider that Nintendo is making about $6 BILLION per year, and the latest Pokemon game alone has made more than $500 million so far, 6 months after release, and while they may make a $50 or $100 million loss this year, they still have over $10 billion in the bank. £1 measly million from smartphones would be completely inconsequential for their bottom line.

The AppStore on the other hand has been taken over by braindead, manipulative freemium games. Honest $1 games are actually doing worse and worse by many indie developer's accounts, so Nintendo would enter a stagnant or shrinking market (paid downloads) with a niche product (retro games).

And lastly, you are not considering the downsides for the company. Offering retro games on smartphones would take away one exclusive feature of their current devices and therefore diminish sales (again, 3DS hardware sales brought in $1.5 to $2 billion last year and are profitable), and these games would be presented in a substandard manner without proper controls and with odd screen resolutions and emulation quirks, which would likely disappoint mainstream customers more than encouraging them to buy more Nintendo products.

I'm sure Nintendo have considered porting their games to iOS, it could be a market for them. I do not think it will hinder their own sales and profit margins if they released older games.
Look how Sega have released Sonic and the like into the iOS space, Im sure that has netted them some money, rekindling older gamers interest.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
It's still an emulator and there's additional games. Also it let's you do BASIC on it. Me, and others, have never said about loading your own ROMs, just about other games being available. It's all been a general debate about emulators, apart from you and 1 other who are then throwing in a stipulation of adding your own ROMs.

Most ports in various systems/OSes load an emulator of the official machine, but that is taking the def too broad. If you can't load your own roms/files/apps on them then you can't call it an emulator in the sense everyone everywhere uses them. You are trying to play semantics to support apple when they have never supported proper emulators and they DO shut them down even when they are not using reverse engineering; meaning they are legal but unofficial emulators.

If I make an app w a legal but unofficial emulator I will get said app deleted from the App Store.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Nintendo are missing a trick here with being stubborn and not being open to change. They could release their own official emu, give a game away with it and then offer an entire back catalog via in app purchase for like £1 and make a ton for games they have gathering dust! Even if it's only NES/SNES/GB/GBA games! Even some original DS games too.

EXACTLY. If Super Mario Bros appeared on the App Store for around $5.00 think how much money they would make.

Gaming on mobile is huge... Can't Nintendo continue to make great games for different platforms, and release its own hardware when the hardware of other people fails to meet what it wants to do? IE 3D games on the 3DS.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Actually Nintendo said in January they do not expect to turn a profit this financial year. Nintendo are clearly on a downward trend finicially, or are you ignoring that fact?! I mentioned Sega, because I'd Nintendo don't sort something, they're going to end up doing the same as sega or going bust.

I never said they should stop doing their consoles, but should do it in addition. Additionally I never said they should only do it on Apple devices, I said all mobile devices. Go back and read my posts before shouting me down.

Nintendo selling on steam, xbox, & ps4 is the wrong idea as it will impact their own console sales. You clearly do not grasp the point here do you?!

Just to make it clear, what I was saying is Nintendo should sell their old, previous gen games (NES/SNES/GBA/GB/N64/GameCube) on mobile devices (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile) since this is a market they don't have any real prescience in, which will boost income, whilst keeping current gen stuff to the current devices, so they don't impact sales on there.

That clearer? :)

I just read this today, since I logged in. The tone was so obnoxious.

Jojo999

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
I downloaded 3 roms but all r facing sound lags problem. How may I solve it? I'm using ipad mini with retina with 60fps btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.