Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristenp

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
I've been using a Vantec USB 3.0 hub. I have one 2.5" external drive and one corded mouse connected to it.

The hard drive works fine. The mouse, however, occasionally isn't detected and doesn't work when coming out of sleep mode or upon rebooting. I have to unplug the hub and reconnect it. I don't know if it's an issue with the hub or the mouse. It's a logitech. Not a huge deal. Just a minor annoyance since I also have a trackpad and bluetooth mouse.

rndman

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2013
Which USB 3.0 Hub?

I had bought the HooToo 7 port hub from amazon. It was working fine. But point when I browsed the manual it came with had a not stating that it should not be used with 2012 Mac Mini.
On contacting the manufacturer they asked me to return it for refund and also confirm that none of HooToo models should be used with 2012 mac mini.

Ha.. I thought I got the hub, but...

Any recommendations about a USB 3.0 hub that you may have..

TIA

iizmoo

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2014
Been using unitek 4 ports that look like a little power strip with my Mac Pro for a few weeks, getting really good transfers and reliable. Got it for $19 from newegg. Had an intel X-25M 120GB in external and it was running at top manufacturer speeds, so I'm happy.

Trying to find a 7 ports too, but it seem most of them need extra power and have terrible ratings, so I'm sticking with the 4 ports.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
Inateck 4 + 1 charging port has been really great.
Works with everything I have plugged in, runs 3 x 2.5in drives that need it's
power / Logitech mouse/ old canon scanner & printer / thumb drives / camera

Full bandwidth through from the Inateck USB3.0 KT4004 card too.

Not bad for approx $28 !!!

M.

alex1966

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
I got a Trust USB3 hub for £10 from 7 day shop works at full speed with my Hitachi 500gig portable mx3 drive through the Startech thunderbolt hub.

alex1966

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
does hub shipped with power supply work without for low power device like usb key or self power HDD?

If you are asking about the Trust yes it powers a portable HD, don't know how well it would work direct to a mac though.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
does hub shipped with power supply work without for low power device like usb key or self power HDD?

The Anker one definitely does. And if you don't get the Anker hub, make sure to get a strong enough power supply. USB 3 hubs need the power!

----------

I bought the anker hub.
http://www.amazon.com/Anker®-7-Port...5761&sr=1-3&keywords=anker+7+port+usb+3.0+hub

Good quality. But is it normal, the external hard disk not to be visible in my mac when I connect it to port1, and be visible when I connect it to port7?

You know, sometimes, a problem with a drive can be remedied by everything from using a different USB port (or other bus, such as Thunderbolt), to a different cable, which does not even have to be malfunctioning.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I am looking for a USB 3.0 hub that is more than just a small box with wires dangling. I have been looking at the Macessity SlimKey V2 stand but the reviews seem mostly terrible. Is there another similar stand (preferably with front facing ports) that does well? I am constantly running out of ports on my Mac Mini.

wwohl

macrumors regular
May 2, 2013

Beyond docks, hubs and the ATD... I don't know of any other USB expansion devices..

Just get a USB hub (they sell them 4-13 additional ports) and hide it under the desk somewhere. They're all "a box with wires"

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Beyond docks, hubs and the ATD... I don't know of any other USB expansion devices..

Just get a USB hub (they sell them 4-13 additional ports) and hide it under the desk somewhere. They're all "a box with wires"
I have a glass desk so hiding anything is not possible.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Just looking for a good usb3 hub with at least 3 ports. Be nice to be able to charge iPads as well, and not mess up wifi or bt? Any recommendations?

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Just looking for a good usb3 hub with at least 3 ports. Be nice to be able to charge iPads as well, and not mess up wifi or bt? Any recommendations?

Just make sure you get one with a VIA VL812 chipset to avoid all the external hard drive ejection issues.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVOTR5C/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I have. It is a 4 port hub plus 1 additional dedicated charging port that isn't attached the pc. I love it.

TX Mac User

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
Vantek 7 port USB 3 hub

I've done a bit of testing, and this Vantek hub (model number UGT-AH700U3-2C) supports UASP, has had no deleterious effects on my wireless connections, and has dedicated iPhone and iPad charging ports. Those charging ports are in addition to the seven standard USB ports, incidentally. I've tried it with several drives, enclosures and drive docks and they've all performed quite well.

I'm very impressed thus far; it does require an external power supply, however.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
This USB 3.0 hub has an aluminum case (better shielding) and a VIA Labs VL812-B2 chip with firmware v9090.

I can recommend the StarTech USB-IF certified cables:
2 meters: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOIC88C/
1 meter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DX7BKEC/

USB-IF certification:
2 meters: http://www.usb.org/kcompliance/view...f60efdcd2eea3046ea&referring_url=/kcompliance
1 meter: http://www.usb.org/kcompliance/view...cca31e5d18c002d5cd&referring_url=/kcompliance

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Hello,

I just bought a rMBP 15in and I love it. I have an apple cinema display that I use when I want to work on my photos.

What I have with a usb connection:

- Keyboard
- Mouse
- External usb3 hard drive with my photos
- Apple usb ethernet connector.

I don't want to plug all this stuff every time I want to work. The best way would be to connect all theses devices to a usb3 hub so I'll just have to plug one cable.

I want this hub to be powered (charging ipad would be a nice to have).

This really needs to be a good hub so I can have full speed of my external drive

Anyone have recommendations ?

thanks !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.