Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:43 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Hyundai Bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata Models Later This Year

Hyundai today announced that it will bring Apple's CarPlay technology to its Sonata automobile lineup starting next year. This introduction makes Hyundai the first volume automobile manufacturer to bring CarPlay to the market and leaves Honda as the only one of five brands featured by Apple as launching CarPlay support in 2014 yet to make a specific announcement.

The first Hyundai automobiles to offer the voice-driven system will be the company's popular Sonata line. Models that are equipped with the CarPlay-compatible navigation systems will debut later in the 2015 model year.
Quote:
Hyundai's latest Audio Video Navigation (AVN) systems are already recognized for their beautiful, yet intuitive interface and advanced feature set. Our engineers took advantage of the vivid eight-inch touchscreen to integrate CarPlay for an experience that iPhone users will instantly recognize.
CarPlay allows an iPhone to integrate into the car's infotainment system, providing Siri voice-controlled access to messaging, voice calls, Maps and music. The technology initially debuted as a factory-installed option in new 2014 luxury models from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo and will be available as an aftermarket add-on via Pioneer and Alpine-branded receivers.

Article Link: Hyundai Bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata Models Later This Year
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:45 AM   #2
840quadra

Really astonished they didn't go with something featuring Samsung components.
840quadra is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:46 AM   #3
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

I still do not see how this stuff is legal. All of these states are going to "hands free" and this just encourages you to multitask while driving.
mattopotamus is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:47 AM   #4
wlossw
macrumors 6502

Car play is definitely something that will influence my next vehicle purchase. I don't know that I would purchase a Hyundai just because it has it, but I may delay my purchase until my already selected brand supports the standard.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Cali Fornia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
I still do not see how this stuff is legal. All of these states are going to "hands free" and this just encourages you to multitask while driving.
Are you serious? CarPlay distracts you still less than the messed up standard interfaces most cars have these days, and these are legal too.
Cali Fornia is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
We shouldn't stop progress because some people are stupid. Nanny state sucks.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:58 AM   #7
MacKyron
Banned

Quote:
Operating a radio is legal. CarPlay doesn't allow composing texts onscreen.

Also, not sure how you missed it but CarPlay uses "Siri Eyes-free" mode, which relies heavily on voice commands. Your current iPhone has it now, give it a try.
MacKyron is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:00 AM   #8
number9
macrumors 6502

Of course, per the Hyundai press release, CarPlay is only available on models equipped with the navigation system, which includes the 8-inch touch screen display. The step lower 5-inch touch screen display does not come with the navigation.

On the 2014 Sonata, the 8-inch navigation system is currently part of a $3,000 premium or technology package depending on the trim level you start with.

The car will still be cheaper than the other currently announced OEM CarPlay options, but you're still going to pay a few thousand dollars to get CarPlay along with a bunch of other features you don't necesarily want on the Sonata.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:02 AM   #9
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Spotify is on CarPlay now? I thought it wasn't...
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:02 AM   #10
jmcrutch
macrumors regular

Sucks that in order to get CarPlay you have to pay the egregious price that car mfr's charge for their navi systems which you will then not use because you are using Car Play.

I want a car that has a super basic infotainment system with a touch screen that I can then use doe CarPlay. Hate paying twice essentially for the same feature set.
jmcrutch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:03 AM   #11
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Fornia View Post
Are you serious? CarPlay distracts you still less than the messed up standard interfaces most cars have these days, and these are legal too.
Legal, yes. Safe, not. It's next to impossible to determine if drivers were distracted wading though their screen options when involved in an accident, so there won't be enough proof to outlaw it. Just viewing a navigation map is often enough distraction to cause havoc, let alone wading though menus and icons.
JHankwitz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:05 AM   #12
MH01
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 840quadra View Post
Really astonished they didn't go with something featuring Samsung components.
Cause they are a Korean car manafacturer or cause Hyundai make cheap cars?

Sonata is their luxury car right?

Last edited by MH01; Apr 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM.
MH01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:06 AM   #13
hansonjohn590
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
While I tend to agree with that sentiment, idiots who play with their phone put others at risk when they drive a death machine. That being said, I feel it helps progress along....I think we are going to see a lot more progress with Siri from this.
hansonjohn590 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:08 AM   #14
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Quote:
I am not saying I agree with those rules, but it is crazy b.c they are distracting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKyron View Post
Operating a radio is legal. CarPlay doesn't allow composing texts onscreen.

Also, not sure how you missed it but CarPlay uses "Siri Eyes-free" mode, which relies heavily on voice commands. Your current iPhone has it now, give it a try.
Did not know you could not access the text while driving.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:09 AM   #15
MH01
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Have not looked into the CarPlay integration.
While driving a car, can you receive and reply to SMS messages using CarPlay?
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:10 AM   #16
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
Of course, per the Hyundai press release, CarPlay is only available on models equipped with the navigation system, which includes the 8-inch touch screen display. The step lower 5-inch touch screen display does not come with the navigation.

On the 2014 Sonata, the 8-inch navigation system is currently part of a $3,000 premium or technology package depending on the trim level you start with.

The car will still be cheaper than the other currently announced OEM CarPlay options, but you're still going to pay a few thousand dollars to get CarPlay along with a bunch of other features you don't necesarily want on the Sonata.
which make more sense to go with the aftermarket ones from pioneer or alpine.
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:11 AM   #17
iBlazed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
We shouldn't stop progress because some people are stupid.
Pretty ironic comment considering that signature line of yours...
iBlazed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:11 AM   #18
TechViking
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
Have not looked into the CarPlay integration.
While driving a car, can you receive and reply to SMS messages using CarPlay?
Here is a great video with Apple and Volvo showing off CarPlay for the XC90 model coming this fall:

http://vimeo.com/88210154

It shows sms integration among other things.
TechViking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:13 AM   #19
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrutch View Post
Sucks that in order to get CarPlay you have to pay the egregious price that car mfr's charge for their navi systems which you will then not use because you are using Car Play.

I want a car that has a super basic infotainment system with a touch screen that I can then use doe CarPlay. Hate paying twice essentially for the same feature set.
Yeah that really sucks. I wonder exactly what the hardware requirements for CarPlay are. Seems like this is just a way for OEMs to upsell you expensive infotainment packages.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
Pretty ironic comment considering that signature line of yours...
Depends how you define progress.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:18 AM   #20
CrazyNurse
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrutch View Post

This will be available in aftermarket head units, too. With Pioneer and Alpine onboard, most others will follow.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:23 AM   #21
cdmoore74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I agree. People can’t even handle talking on their phones/texting let alone interacting with an 8” display while driving. Whatever happened to just driving, listening to music and occasional gps? I ride a motorcycle and it scares the crap out of me that a person is looking at their display rather than the road. So many people on the road have no common sense.
Once the first carplay related accident harms someone I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple is sued. Just look at the word “Carplay”. You should not be playing around in a car; period! This goes for Google and Microsoft as well.
cdmoore74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:24 AM   #22
LordVic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Legal, yes. Safe, not. It's next to impossible to determine if drivers were distracted wading though their screen options when involved in an accident, so there won't be enough proof to outlaw it. Just viewing a navigation map is often enough distraction to cause havoc, let alone wading though menus and icons.
If they follow along with many laws, for example, they'll have to limit the interactivity with the unit based on speed.

In Ontario, most headunits you buy will shut off MOST user interaction above 20km/h, leaving only basic radio and map controls. Advanced entry and functionality is unusable while in motion.

This likely will also apply to anything running Carplay (Or at least I assume it should). And here in Ontario, it is also illegal to have any mobile electronic device in your hands while driving, thus removing the use of the iPhone directly while driving. police here can give you a hefty ticket ($150 i think, but it might have been raised) and earn demerit points on your license for motor vehicle infraction should you be caught just holding your cell phone while your car is on the roadway or in motion.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:28 AM   #23
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Talking to Siri may be multitasking but it's definitely hands free.
Talking to a passenger is multitasking too you know.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:29 AM   #24
LordVic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yeah that really sucks. I wonder exactly what the hardware requirements for CarPlay are. Seems like this is just a way for OEMs to upsell you expensive infotainment packages.[COLOR="#808080"]
from what i've seen, Carplay will run technically on most entertainment units that are already built around the QNX car platform. However, I dont think we've seen what Apple requires to be "carplay compatible" in means of actual power of the hardware.

Many cars out are already using the QNX car platform, so adding a software layer to support CarPlay might be a lot easier, and Cheaper than they let on.

I know when I bought my Camry, Toyota includes a QNX based car infotainment system in ALL models. Even the lowest end one now. However the GPS and maps functionality is still an upgrade (though standard in the SE and above).

I wouldn't be surprised if more manufacturers start including this sort of base functionality in most of their cars (or at least after a certain price point, I wouldn't expect a compact budget car to)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:34 AM   #25
d4rkc4sm
macrumors 6502

Infotainment

Can this word please die?
d4rkc4sm is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion