Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Apple needs to update it or discontinue it and tell everyone they're out of the monitor business. It should have been updated to look like the new iMac and have Magsafe 2 and USB 3 a year ago.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Hope springs eternal. ;)

Indeed, just maybe we will see something for higher res monitors....that do TB2, USB 3 and drop FW. Maybe not 4K....but higher res than current ATD.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For what ever reason Apple is very slow (always has been) in updating their displays. Its like they don't really want to be in the business of producing display but yet every xx years or something they update the line instead of killing it off.

If they're going to continue to sell displays they really should update it.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Just maybe 10.9.3 begins to set the stage for Apple to introduce 4K monitors. Having Mac Pro doing 4K @60 is not enough. Apple needs Retina MacBooks doing 4K@60 as well.

Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 Build 13D43 to Developers
Tuesday April 15, 2014 4:22 pm PDT by Juli Clover
mavericks.pngApple today seeded build 13D43 of OS X 10.9.3 to developers, just under a week after releasing the sixth OS X beta, build 13D38, and a little over a month after the first 10.9.3 beta.

The beta is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store as well as through the Mac Dev Center.

Apple continues to ask developers to focus on Graphics Drivers, Audio, Mail, Contacts and Calendar sync over USB in iTunes, and Safari. As was discovered with the first beta, 10.9.3 adds new support for 4K displays, offering "Retina" resolutions that improve readability along with support for 60Hz output from the Retina MacBook Pro.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
For what ever reason Apple is very slow (always has been) in updating their displays. Its like they don't really want to be in the business of producing display but yet every xx years or something they update the line instead of killing it off.

If they're going to continue to sell displays they really should update it.

Displays in general tend to run for very long cycles compared to computing devices. It's often a 2-4 year cycle for other brands with anything in between being little tweaks to model numbers indicating some kind of menial change. I expected some of that. Sometimes concurrent models are also released alongside the aging ones if a different panel size enters the market. I thought they would update the thunderbolt display to match the imac within 6 months of release. I was wrong. Obviously at some point the rest of the mac lineup will move to thunderbolt 2, and 4K will continue to drop in price. I don't know if 4K will drop fast enough for them to implement it in a 27-28" display at the current $999 price. The only ones in that price range use twisted nematic panels types, which would feel like a downgrade from the current option. Typically viewing angles on those aren't as good, which is extremely annoying with a large display.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The rMBPs can do 4K @ 60Hz but only through Windows. It's a graphics driver limitation in OS X.

Understood. For many of us doing 4K in a Windows VM is of zero interest. So let's see if 10.9.3 brings 4K to OS in native mode.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
The rMBPs can do 4K @ 60Hz but only through Windows. It's a graphics driver limitation in OS X.
I believe Apple fixed that in an update released earlier this year, although I may be mistaken. I own neither a macpro or a 4k screen so I really can't check myself to make sure... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.