Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Oh well

I'm driving a '08 Prius and plan on keeping it for another 5 to 10 years at least. I guess by the time I get a car with this it'll be obsolete, along with whatever the next big thing is too.
:D

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Things I don't want:

My SMS coming up on a screen visible to everyone in the car. Not that I have anything to hide. But, by way of example, this morning my friend told me he went on date with a stripper and is planning on seeing her again. Had that SMS come through in the car in front of friends and family, someone might have asked me "Who's Jen? And why does he say her real name is Jean?"

Awkward.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Legal, yes. Safe, not. It's next to impossible to determine if drivers were distracted wading though their screen options when involved in an accident, so there won't be enough proof to outlaw it. Just viewing a navigation map is often enough distraction to cause havoc, let alone wading though menus and icons.

How little we forget. This is what we were doing 10 years ago - unfolding, reading, and folding paper maps. It's a LOT safer today.

400_F_26292439_kVJVdkqr01urSwDsVIqruthL79khjXnK.jpg

527317-528587-man-reading-map-in-car.jpg

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
Non physical buttons are a distraction so as long as there are steering wheel controls, it's all good, it'll become 2nd nature in a very short time.

The problem I have is this.

THIS YEAR, Hyundai are bringing CarPlay to THIS YEAR's car.
How the ******* is that the 2015 model?

This is an American thing. American car retailers are using psychological tricks to make people feel they are buying next year's model. Nowhere else does this happen.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Non physical buttons are a distraction so as long as there are steering wheel controls, it's all good, it'll become 2nd nature in a very short time.

The problem I have is this.

This is an American thing. American car retailers are using psychological tricks to make people feel they are buying next year's model. Nowhere else does this happen.

long standing tradition that Car manufacturers release their next years model cars in September of the year before. So this September will see the launch of 2015 models.

I'm not sure if this is just a North American thing or not, But its pretty much standard fare during my entire life, and my father says the same thing. Always September.

----------

How little we forget. This is what we were doing 10 years ago - unfolding, reading, and folding paper maps. It's a LOT safer today.

Except in Neither of these photos are the users actually driving their cars at the time :p

so i'm not sure what you're trying to prove. Both are doing it properly. Pulled over off the roadway, or parked.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

This happens all over the world. I actually bought a 1999 Saturn in June of 1998. Car manufacturers used to start in January, then moved back to December to beat their competitors, then back to November, etc. September has been pretty normal for the past 20 years. But sometimes it's even earlier.

Just like magazines - their dates are screwed up too. See the latest issues on the news stand? They're all dated June 2014.

----------

so i'm not sure what you're trying to prove. Both are doing it properly. Pulled over off the roadway, or parked.

The first one, you can't tell if he's driving or not.

MANY people, if not MOST read maps WHILE driving. It was as prevalent back then as using a cell phone while driving today is.

Why are you trying to be argumentative?

Here are pictures of people reading maps while driving. Happy?
IMG_3366.JPG

couple_reading_map_in_car_at_night_37ap0002rm.jpg

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Not being able to use my navigation app of choice -- Google Maps -- with CarPlay makes it a total non-starter for me. I'll just stick with my current bluetooth head unit. It works just fine with Google Maps for audio -- which is all I need.

Google is so far ahead of Apple in the mapping department it isn't even funny. In Atlanta, a brand new interchange opened at the beginning of this month. I checked Google Maps on the same day the interchange opened and they already had the new ramps showing up. The *same day* the interchange opened. That's astounding. No telling when the new ramps will appear in Apple Maps.

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Have not looked into the CarPlay integration.
While driving a car, can you receive and reply to SMS messages using CarPlay?

Makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. Can’t people wait until their parked to worry about some silly text message? People don’t realize that vehicles are heavy machines that can cause great damage.
I can’t be alone in thinking that driving without distractions should be the number one priority. I can understand hands free Bluetooth (which is law in Illinois as of 1/1/2014) but reading information off or interacting with a huge screen should be against the law. I must be getting too old which is causing me to become more responsible.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
I have a 2007 Lexus ES350 that has a large touchscreen that has nav, but also controls the temperature and a variety of other required controls. How would I go about installing an aftermarket CarPlay kit into something like this?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have a 2007 Lexus ES350 that has a large touchscreen that has nav, but also controls the temperature and a variety of other required controls. How would I go about installing an aftermarket CarPlay kit into something like this?

I would imagine you could not have both. The aftermarket units really only work for people who have a current unit that only controls the radio. Unless Lexus was to sell something you could use.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I still do not see how this stuff is legal. All of these states are going to "hands free" and this just encourages you to multitask while driving.

With or without this people do it anyway. Adjusting the stations on their car radio and/or changing CD's or MP3's.

In terms of legalities, that makes no sense what you're saying. You do realize any of the iOS Carplay functionality can be done while parked or at a stoplight.

RedGemini

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Altoona, PA
Makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. Can’t people wait until their parked to worry about some silly text message? People don’t realize that vehicles are heavy machines that can cause great damage.
I can’t be alone in thinking that driving without distractions should be the number one priority. I can understand hands free Bluetooth (which is law in Illinois as of 1/1/2014) but reading information off or interacting with a huge screen should be against the law. I must be getting too old which is causing me to become more responsible.

On another side of the coin, Apple Maps has found locations that Google Maps didn't even know existed. NO mapping solution is 100%. Overall, I use Apple Maps nearly 100% of the time with ZERO issues. It's come a LONG way in a short amount of time. Also, Apple Maps is backed by TomTom. Speaking of which, I use TomTom on my iPhone if I don't have access to a cellular or data network to start navigation, which, again, has been great but not perfect.

Using a navigation screen is fine, since nearly all units now have voice guidance. The only time I reference the screen is if there's an interchange of multiple lanes and I need to make sure I take the right one. Otherwise, I rarely look at it while driving.

RedGemini

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Altoona, PA

You'd have to try looking for a company that does specialty units. They're out there, but good luck finding one that's investing in CarPlay in the near future.

There was a company I looked into that was making a Nav unit that was plug n play for the last gen. Mazda 3, complete with custom dash kit. Made it look factory, and it was designed to work with the factory BOSE system --- completely plug & play.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Car play is definitely something that will influence my next vehicle purchase. I don't know that I would purchase a Hyundai just because it has it, but I may delay my purchase until my already selected brand supports the standard.

This is exactly what car manufactures want. It's really benefitting the car manufacturer rather than Apple.

Renzatic

Suspended
We shouldn't stop progress because some people are stupid. Nanny state sucks.

So does getting both your legs broken and spending a month in traction because one of those stupid people was too busy playing with the super-cool display on the dash rather than paying attention to the road.

I'm just libertarian enough to not be too big a fan of nanny state ideals (whatever that happens to be, considering it changes depending on who you ask). But when it comes to driving, I'm about as totalitarian as Stalin's Russia. Hands free is alright. But anything that draws your eyes from the road while operating your two tons of steel and plastic at high speeds should be illegal. There are exceptions, of course. But I think that should be the general rule.

Think of it less as telling someone what they can or can't do, and more about keeping them from maiming you.

RedGemini

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Altoona, PA

You've obviously never used Siri in the car. For at least 95% of the time, the screen won't be needed for core interaction. That's the point of CarPlay. You'll be LESS distracted using CarPlay than even changing the radio station the current way.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Infotainment

Can this word please die?

Your point gives me commentainment.

I was almost with you there, but in the example you provided, he's pulled over. That seems safer to me than typing in an address into your GPS while driving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.