Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrick-32

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Phone was robbed.. iphone 4 with ios7

I had it set that so when screen locks or gets turned on you need enter in 4 digits.

As far as I know I had it synced as I restored it months ago.

Now I'm wondering
1) is it possible if they put in new simcard they will be able to use it or see all my data.. or will code be asked to beentered on any sim being put in?

2) Will it be possible for them just to hook it up to laptop and browse into files tru der laptops drive? as in windows it would be like a removable device like usb u could broswe 2

3) Can they backup sync it to another itunes

4) can they bakckup data even if they cant sync it?

5) i bought the phone 2nd hand.. so i cant block the imei as im not originally owner, not sure how that works.. is that depending on the carrier?

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
yes they can. you're screwed. remember to turn on find my iPhone on the next time you get an iPhone.

----------

sorry this happened to you though :(

Patrick-32

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
yes they can. you're screwed. remember to turn on find my iPhone on the next time you get an iPhone.

----------

They can restore it only, or everything like go through files? Thanks.

If you didnt have find my iphone turned on then all they need to do is restore it and use it right after with no probs.
What carrier was it for?
Maybe they can blacklist it for you.

No, I had planned to and forgot.. sadly. I'm not american, from europe so probably just need ring them.

I was hoping it was mistaken as it was in my jacket with charger etc.. and jacket went missing, it rang out for hrs, although battery was near dead so was hoping jacket was misplace, or someone would try charge it as then the messages i sent would deliver and could try ring.. but wishful thinking..

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
They can restore it or everything?

No, I had planned to and forgot.. sadly. I'm not american, from europe so probably just need ring them.

Yes, once they restore it then your password will be gone and offcourse all your info on it too. They will have a clean ios 7.1 installed iphone.
Was it locked to any particular carrier or unlocked?

Patrick-32

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Yes, once they restore it then your password will be gone and offcourse all your info on it too. They will have a clean ios 7.1 installed iphone.
Was it locked to any particular carrier or unlocked?

It was bought from '3network' in ireland. then sold to myself and I purchased a '3Network' simcard.
So definitely locked to it. I was wondering see if they bought a simcard from same carrier.. would they be able use it and access files.. which i don't wan;t

But all they can do is restore yes? and it all be gone anyway..

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It was bought from '3network' in ireland. then sold to myself and I purchased a '3Network' simcard.
So definitely locked to it. I was wondering see if they bought a simcard from same carrier.. would they be able use it and access files.. which i don't wan;t

If there was a passcode they can't access files on the phone, just restore it and use it or sell it after wiping your data. You probably can call your carrier and report it stolen even if you weren't the original owner, that will make it useless to whoever stole it.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California

Yes they can do restore but all your info will be gone.

Patrick-32

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Sorry you were robbed and I hope you're ok, but why why why did/would you not have FMI on?

I just don't get it when people don't have it on. :confused:

I never knew about it until a while ago.. I had meant to do it since. :(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If they plug it into a computer they can using finder or windows explorers, on Mac and PC, respectively.
Shouldn't the fact that the phone is passcode/password protected get in the way of being able to do that (with unknown computers at least)?

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high

----------

BTW I do know how to bypass the iOS7 iCloud lock. It was man made, i'm sure we can figure it all out. ;)

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
I'm not lying. It's simple. Not so much for the A5 and up. A4 is easy. The 4S is where it starts getting tricky. The 5 is when all you can do is hack your way into the phone to get the recent owners email address and ask them to remove it. Otherwise, it's a brick.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm not lying. It's simple. Not so much for the A5 and up. A4 is easy. The 4S is where it starts getting tricky. The 5 is when all you can do is hack your way into the phone to get the recent owners email address and ask them to remove it. Otherwise, it's a brick.

Sure, just tell the owner that you're in possession of their stolen phone and ask them to remove it from icloud so you can use it. Its pretty simple:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.