Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
2ndPath said:
Artist covers a very wide range of poeple. Lots of painters in the past made most of their paintings showing portraits of poeple, who wanted to be painted and paid for it. Which is essentially what he is doing - paintig people, which in this case are fictional ones.
:rolleyes:

"Hi, I'm Bob. Will you paint my picture?" is not "essentaially" the same as, "Hi, I'm Bob. Will you paint me an exact replica of the Monkey from Family Guy?"

Lethal

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
2ndPath said:
I think this is a legal question and not the question whether it is art or not.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my reply. :confused: But anyway, you're assertion that cartoon characters are just fictional people, and as such, selling paintings of them is no different than selling portraits of real people is just flat out wrong (from a legal point of view). Cartoon characters are not people. :confused:

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
wrong

I think your totally wrong about this. Try drawing or painting a Mickey Mouse picture and selling it. I think Disney would have a fleet of lawyers on your doorstep within minutes.:eek:

Hmmmm, that sucks.

I guess no one is gonna get any of me custom "Big Lebowski" shirts.

WORLD OF PAIN!

though on the topic of "fan art" you are incorrect. you can doodle anything you want and sell it, art is art. But when you say you are the original artist, you run into trouble.

I sell lots of paintings of cartoon shows, and because I paint them myself and make no claim to be the original character artist, have nothing legal to worry about. Someone asks me to paint a character, and I do it. How can that be illegal?

So I only wondered about the same thing with live action stuff and movies.

Tracing a movie frame in illustrator is sort of like painting by hand, as it isnt the original thing printed directly.....

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Hmmmm, that sucks.

I guess no one is gonna get any of me custom "Big Lebowski" shirts.

WORLD OF PAIN!

though on the topic of "fan art" you are incorrect. you can doodle anything you want and sell it, art is art. But when you say you are the original artist, you run into trouble.

I sell lots of paintings of cartoon shows, and because I paint them myself and make no claim to be the original character artist, have nothing legal to worry about. Someone asks me to paint a character, and I do it. How can that be illegal?

So I only wondered about the same thing with live action stuff and movies.

Tracing a movie frame in illustrator is sort of like painting by hand, as it isnt the original thing printed directly.....

I hope you have a lawyer on retainer already. Claiming to not be the owner makes no difference. You have lots to worry about selling paintings of cartoon shows. Lots.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Old thread - don't know why it appeared again

I think your totally wrong about this. Try drawing or painting a Mickey Mouse picture and selling it. I think Disney would have a fleet of lawyers on your doorstep within minutes.:eek:

I hope you have a lawyer on retainer already. Claiming to not be the owner makes no difference. You have lots to worry about selling paintings of cartoon shows. Lots.

8 year old thread resurrected by a spam post.... which I reported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.