Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I have turned off my iPhone and I try not to look at it :)

My biggest issue at the moment is the big size of the phone :) I am afraid that I will drop it, because I continue trying to use it one handed, and sometimes that is difficult..
Touchdown has great Exchange integration and I love it. Yes, the interface could be better, but I don't really care. (I am a Microsoft Exchange architect so I know when I am saying that Touchdown has a great integration :) )
Thanks for the podcast suggestion. I will have a look at it. There are certain many good options out there.

So far I love Air Droid. It provides a great and easy way to remotely control my device..
I love the widgets too...:)

The issue I had with Exchange is that after 6 hours it couldn't sync my 3GB mailbox (I know I shouldn't have synced everything, but I was trying to see how well it behaves since the iPhone can do that easily). Touchdown works much better

You might want to consider the Nexus 5. It's on par with the M8.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
You might want to consider the Nexus 5. It's on par with the M8.

I agree with this. It's not as fancy looking as the new One, but much nicer to hold. When I checked out the new One in a store I kept feeling like it was about to slip out of my hand.

Also the Nexus 5 comes with pure Android which sounds like it'd fit the OP much better. And - it's quite a cheap phone to try out.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
How big is the Nexus 5? How about the build quality?

I want to have a device with similar quality as the iPhone. That was the main reason for getting the One.

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
I agree with this. It's not as fancy looking as the new One, but much nicer to hold. When I checked out the new One in a store I kept feeling like it was about to slip out of my hand.

Also the Nexus 5 comes with pure Android which sounds like it'd fit the OP much better. And - it's quite a cheap phone to try out.

+1 for the Nexus. It has an understated, plain design, but the price alone more than makes up for it( in comparison to other flagship devices). It's almost ½ the price of other phones of parallel ability.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

I want to have a device with similar quality as the iPhone. That was the main reason for getting the One.

It's not as fancy as the M8 in design but it seems like a good phone. It's encased in plastic but for the price, you can't beat it.

Also, it's pure Android!

Marques Brownlee reviews the red one here. http://youtu.be/qauddPrHLqU

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

The N5 also has a 5" screen but is 0,3 inches shorter than the M8 (this is very noticeable), it's also slightly narrower and thinner, and weighs 30 g less. It is not metal but a very nice kind of plastic, with a matte back that makes it very comfortable to hold.

The non-metal design isn't as expensive looking perhaps, but the design is the best of any current Android phone IMO. Utterly clean and tight, nothing unnecessary there. This is the phone I recommend first to anyone coming from the iPhone, also because it runs pure Android. In fact my girlfriend is just about to get one, the N5 was what finally tipped her over to Android after using iPhones only :)

And it costs - off contract - about half of what the M8 costs! AND it will be the first to get all new Android updates.

7gN8Khu.png

Last edited:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
The N5 also has a 5" screen but is 0,3 inches shorter than the M8 (this is very noticeable), it's also slightly narrower and thinner, and weighs 30 g less. It is not metal but a very nice kind of plastic, with a matte back that makes it very comfortable to hold.

The non-metal design isn't as expensive looking perhaps, but the design is the best of any current Android phone IMO. Utterly clean and tight, nothing unnecessary there. This is the phone I recommend first to anyone coming from the iPhone, also because it runs pure Android. In fact my girlfriend is just about to get one, the N5 was what finally tipped her over to Android after using iPhones only :)

And it costs - off contract - about half of what the M8 costs! AND it will be the first to get all new Android updates.

Do you currently own a N5?

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Getting all updates first is certainly interesting, but I prefer the HTC One's design and quality of finish. At some point there will be ways to put stock Android on the M8..(by rooting the device).
After installing the Google Now launcher, most of the Sense UI interface elements are gone, so this is not a big issue anymore..
The stability of the device worries me a bit. After installing and using AirDroid, the display doesn't turn off automatically unless I reboot the device..
HTC's music app is also bad and if you use it, you will very often get a warning that the HTC music enhancer has crashed..Google Play music is so much better.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Something that impressed me is the quality and the clarity of the speakers of the M8. I have never heard anything better on a mobile device.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Getting all updates first is certainly interesting, but I prefer the HTC One's design and quality of finish. At some point there will be ways to put stock Android on the M8..(by rooting the device).
After installing the Google Now launcher, most of the Sense UI interface elements are gone, so this is not a big issue anymore..
The stability of the device worries me a bit. After installing and using AirDroid, the display doesn't turn off automatically unless I reboot the device..
HTC's music app is also bad and if you use it, you will very often get a warning that the HTC music enhancer has crashed..Google Play music is so much better.

It really sounds like a Google Play edition of the M8 is what you want.

I'm itching for a new phone and I'v been considering selling my S4 for a N5.

So, thought maybe you can share your experience.

Sorry, I could only tell you from extensive testing that I really want to get one myself. But my Note 2 won't sell for much anymore...so, happy that my gf is getting one :D

Anyway, there's lots of info in the main N5 thread.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013

I absolutely love my Nexus 5. Light, thin, great battery life, great screen, great OS and none of the silly gimmicks other phones have (stereo speakers, 3D cameras, heart rate monitors etc etc) that you pay for but actually never use. It's just a good, useful phone at a great price.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It really sounds like a Google Play edition of the M8 is what you want.

Sorry, I could only tell you from extensive testing that I really want to get one myself. But my Note 2 won't sell for much anymore...so, happy that my gf is getting one :D

Anyway, there's lots of info in the main N5 thread.

Exactly. Unfortunately I cannot buy that in Germany,so for now I will settle with the standard HTC One M8 and the Google Now launcher. It provides most of the benefits of the google play edition anyway, so I am happy with that now.
In the next days I will try customizing my device even more and see how it goes..

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Exactly. Unfortunately I cannot buy that in Germany,so for now I will settle with the standard HTC One M8 and the Google Now launcher. It provides most of the benefits of the google play edition anyway, so I am happy with that now.
In the next days I will try customizing my device even more and see how it goes..

Ah I see. Yeah it's a bummer you can't buy them here in Sweden either. Well, good luck with your M8 anyway :)

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Ah I see. Yeah it's a bummer you can't buy them here in Sweden either. Well, good luck with your M8 anyway :)

Thanks. I think I will be happy with it. I am trying to get used to its size. If that works for me, then I will keep it and sell my iPhone. Two handed usage is of course no issue.

I love the way the OS works. Apple was the Pioneer in the mobile industry, but Android managed to create an OS for power users. I have to say I am impressed so far.

I hope ios 8 brings many new features that will make me come back, but somehow I doubt it.

I even like the HTC Sense keyboard. I type very fast with it, and I prefer it to the Google keyboard 3 I found on the Internet.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
You will get used to size petvas, I was in the same the same boat but I went with the Note 3 not long ago and trust me it's like I used a phone this size my whole life lol that's how quickly I got used to it.

Btw I suggest you keep using the phone like it came and not try to mess around with modifications and launchers for now, get to know every detail of Android and I'm sure you gonna love that share button and how Dropbox works with this os.

Espeonia

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks. I think I will be happy with it. I am trying to get used to its size. If that works for me, then I will keep it and sell my iPhone. Two handed usage is of course no issue.

I love the way the OS works. Apple was the Pioneer in the mobile industry, but Android managed to create an OS for power users. I have to say I am impressed so far.

I hope ios 8 brings many new features that will make me come back, but somehow I doubt it.

I even like the HTC Sense keyboard. I type very fast with it, and I prefer it to the Google keyboard 3 I found on the Internet.

As far as keyboards go, I really like Touchpal X. It's free, its swiping works very well (typing out words also works very well if you go that way), and the themes it has are all great (Black Slate seems most like android to me). I also use fleksy occasionally (I can't really explain it, but it has a free trial, and their demo has a great tutorial.)

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX

I understand having to get used to size. I went from android to iphone and am still adjusting to the small size. I can understand having to adjust going the different direction.

Some of the things I used on android were nova launcher prime, I linked swiftkey keyboard the best and try Dolphin browser. The android version at least beats anything on both platforms, imho. I always ran rooted and custom rom, titanium backup alone made the root worth it.

I've always been a tweaker, started building computers starting with "clones" in the 80's, overclocking in the 90's and early 00's and also tweaking phones by flashing firmware on the ones that were possible so android was a natural progression for me. I love it. I'm getting old and health is waning so I have moved to the easiness of ios. I will always have a soft spot for android, but I do not regret the change at this stage of life. Heh, my life story.:)

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I have turned off my iPhone and I try not to look at it :)

My biggest issue at the moment is the big size of the phone :) I am afraid that I will drop it, because I continue trying to use it one handed, and sometimes that is difficult..
Touchdown has great Exchange integration and I love it. Yes, the interface could be better, but I don't really care. (I am a Microsoft Exchange architect so I know when I am saying that Touchdown has a great integration :) )
Thanks for the podcast suggestion. I will have a look at it. There are certain many good options out there.

So far I love Air Droid. It provides a great and easy way to remotely control my device..
I love the widgets too...:)

The issue I had with Exchange is that after 6 hours it couldn't sync my 3GB mailbox (I know I shouldn't have synced everything, but I was trying to see how well it behaves since the iPhone can do that easily). Touchdown works much better

Awesome, glad that's working out for you with Touch Down! Having a lot of choices is always good!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

My only concern with the N5 is the battery. You seem to have to really tweak it in order to get good results. But I almost want to buy the N5 even knowing that.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
I'm afraid to switch to Android. iOS is so reliable and clean. But the GS5 and LGG2 look really tempting.

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
My only concern with the N5 is the battery. You seem to have to really tweak it in order to get good results. But I almost want to buy the N5 even knowing that.

My Nexus 5 battery is good enough for what I use it for. It's on standby for most of the day, with maybe 3 hours of youtube/music/small games/ internet browsing, and 2 e-mail set to update every hour. When I charge it at night, after 15 hours, it still has roughly 65% battery. It's not the best, but most people charge their devices up at night anyway, so it's easily good enough.

I felt like their was a battery saving increase on Cyanogenmod compared to stock android, but that is not to any scientific conclusions.
Word of warning though, the Qualcomm battery guru app made my battery life worse, and I had been using it for 3 weeks before I deleted it. Also, some apps can be a real battery drain even though you'd think they were idle.(Dots)

----------

I'm afraid to switch to Android. iOS is so reliable and clean. But the GS5 and LGG2 look really tempting.

Personally, I feel that Android is less clean looking, even with the ability to change icons and launchers. Design of apps isn't consistent, and neither is their icon. I use an icon pack, but obviously not every icon has an equivalent.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

No way i would swap a M8 for a LG phone. I can use mine one handed. I put one of these on mine, thin, nice feel, looks great black and gun metal, not slippery and easy use of buttons.

http://www.case-mate.com/htc-one-m8-cases/case-mate-htc-one-m8-barely-there-case.asp

Airdroid is great especially for messaging anyone off my macbook/ipad, not only idvices/imessage.
Like how i can search the google play store on my iPad, download a app then it goes straight onto my phone.

And you are right the speakers are best on any phone, great for speaker phone calls too, i am finding call quality/reception excellent too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.