Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tofray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Hello,

I have a 2012 27" iMac, that is also boot camped for Win8.1. I have a work PC laptop, and instead of buying an external monitor for it...I was wondering if it's possible to boot the iMac into Windows, and use some kind of adapter to use it as an external monitor for my PC laptop?

I searched a ton, and everything I could find referenced the iMac being used as an external monitor for a macbook, and even that had contradicting information.

Thanks for any help!

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hello,

I have a 2012 27" iMac, that is also boot camped for Win8.1. I have a work PC laptop, and instead of buying an external monitor for it...I was wondering if it's possible to boot the iMac into Windows, and use some kind of adapter to use it as an external monitor for my PC laptop?

I searched a ton, and everything I could find referenced the iMac being used as an external monitor for a macbook, and even that had contradicting information.

Thanks for any help!

Sorry it won't work, most PC's don't have a Thunderbolt output and for the ones that do they currently do not support video. You will need to get an external displace for your notebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.