Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
My girlfriend's first-year warranty on her iMac ends on May 7th, and I'd like to make sure she's covered for any issues as long as possible.

I see you can buy Applecare on the online Apple Store. How does that work? Does Apple send you a physical kit or do you just get some sort of registration code to use online?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I just call them. Do it over the phone. Receipt is emailed to you or mailed. Easy

laserfan

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
I just call them. Do it over the phone. Receipt is emailed to you or mailed. Easy

A friend of mine bought an iMac late 2013 and recently inquired at an Apple store about Applecare and was told that since months have passed since purchase, he would have to bring his iMac into the Apple Store to have it checked-out before they would sell him an Applecare package. Reason being (of course) that otherwise people would wait-and-see if their Mac fails, and then buy Applecare only if it failed and then get it fixed/replaced.

Is this not true, and that you can get AC w/o proof of a working Mac?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
A friend of mine bought an iMac late 2013 and recently inquired at an Apple store about Applecare and was told that since months have passed since purchase, he would have to bring his iMac into the Apple Store to have it checked-out before they would sell him an Applecare package. Reason being (of course) that otherwise people would wait-and-see if their Mac fails, and then buy Applecare only if it failed and then get it fixed/replaced.

No, that is not true. You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year of ownership, while your Mac is still under the original warranty. There is no need to bring it to an Apple store for inspection.

laserfan

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
There is no need to bring it to an Apple store for inspection.

That makes sense to me, particularly as many people live nowhere near an Apple store.

I do wonder why the guy at our local Apple store would say such a thing then... :eek:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That makes sense to me, particularly as many people live nowhere near an Apple store.

I do wonder why the guy at our local Apple store would say such a thing then... :eek:
It's important to remember that "Genius" is their job title, and not necessarily an indication of their knowledge or experience. They are frequently wrong.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
It's important to remember that "Genius" is their job title, and not necessarily an indication of their knowledge or experience. They are frequently wrong.

I don't see any place in the post where someone mentioned a job title at all.

You do know that not everyone that works in an Apple store is a "Genius," right?

In fact, I'd wager that less than 20% of Apple store staff have the Genius title.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

He may have confused it with AppleCare+ for iPhone that does require an inspection if you buy it in store.

VtFMreM.png

Looks like they want to make sure you have not dunked your iPhone in the toilet first. :)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

I have a feeling your friend isn't really telling the truth. Everyone in an Apple store knows how AppleCare works. Unless he accidentally told them "iPhone", since you *do* have to have your iPhone inspected if adding AC+.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't see any place in the post where someone mentioned a job title at all.

You do know that not everyone that works in an Apple store is a "Genius," right?

In fact, I'd wager that less than 20% of Apple store staff have the Genius title.
Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that not everyone who works in Apple Store is a Genius. It was a lighthearted way of indicating that the person in the Apple Store did not know what they were talking about. That fact still stands.

laserfan

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
He may have confused it with AppleCare+ for iPhone that does require an inspection if you buy it in store.

I have a feeling your friend isn't really telling the truth.

More likely confusion, and/or he mis-heard (he is hard of hearing, 15 years older than me, and I am old!).

I'll tell him, he will be glad to know that if he decides to buy it he can do so online... Thanks fellas.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Call or surf to B&H Photo, buy it from them for lots less than Apple's prices. I bought my $349 Applecare for one of my rMBPs from B&H for $244, with free shipping. The box (with all of the instructions) showed up in two days, registration took 5 minutes. Buying anywhere else is a waste of your money.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
AppleCare is simply a serial number that will be attached to your device. You can purchase it from a variety of sources including Amazon and B&H for much cheaper than from Apple. Or if you are specially sporty you can try eBay. In the end you will get a number that you plug into the Apple care site.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I had no idea I could buy the kit from Amazon. $118 is a much better price than $169. I'm having a kit shipped right to her house for her to register.

iono11200

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I just scored Applecare for my new iMac from LA Computer for $115 plus shipping vs. $169 from Apple, Initially was going to forgoe it, but for that price it was a no brainer.

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
Everyone in an Apple store knows how AppleCare works.

Not so!

I wanted to pay cash for AppleCare on my son's iMac so I went to our local Apple Store. The first two sales reps told me the computer would have to be brought in for inspection; the third guy (maybe he was a genius :) ) knew that this was not the case although for some reason he could not activate it in store.

Activating it at home was a breeze.

Cheers

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Not so!

I wanted to pay cash for AppleCare on my son's iMac so I went to our local Apple Store. The first two sales reps told me the computer would have to be brought in for inspection; the third guy (maybe he was a genius :) ) knew that this was not the case although for some reason he could not activate it in store.

Activating it at home was a breeze.

Cheers

Yeah... its' AppleCare+ for iPhone and iPad that requires the inspection and proof of purchase. I have seen posts before about Apple Store employees confusing the two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.