Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you do?

• I pull over ASAP.

Votes: 51 91.1%
  • I try to find a lit, crowded area to pull over into.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I go to a police station.

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Well I pull over. Find out what I was doing wrong. Hand over my insurance and id. watch officer walk back to car. then proceed to pray that my excuse was good enough to get out of the ticket.

And then pray they didn't see the obstruction hanging from the mirror. ;)

Michael

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Late one night, my ex-wife had an unmarked car turn on its lights. For some reason she didn't think it was a real police car. She drove to a friend's house and turned into his driveway. It turned out the car was really an unmarked State Police. Luckily, the friend was the elected Sheriff of the our county.

When he came out in his pajamas, everyone had a real good laugh. This was before we all carried cell phones to call 9-1-1.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
It's been so long since I've been pulled over. But when I was younger, I had an old convertible. And I always managed to get the top down in February… in Canada. There would a really sunny day, and I'd park the car in the sun so the top warmed up enough to fold down. Then it would get real cold again. Then I'd get pulled over…. for nothing really, but it was always at night. And they'd check my eyeballs… because only crazy and drunk people drive in freezing weather with the top down. I've been pulled over by BC Mounties, Alberta Mounties, Manitoba Mounties, the OPP and the Niagara Regionals. I pull over. I obey their instructions. I let them look at my eyes.

The Manitoba Mounties are, by far, the friendliest police I've dealt with.

Only ticket I've ever gotten was a speeding ticket in Washington state driving a tiny 3 cylinder under powered Firefly - nicknamed a fur-flea. I really had to work for that ticket.

They're just doing their jobs, and I don't resent it. It's a tough job.

ps Why would you drive to a police station? Though I suppose there are some folks from less developed nations on this forum where you can't necessarily trust the cops.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I've been pulled over three times in my life:

One for running a red light, the stop was a simple curb, so pulled over right away.

Second was speeding and also a simple curb, so I also pulled over right away.

Third (and hopefully last!), I was on the freeway and a CHP turned on his sirens and had me exit at the nearest possible exit. He, of course always says "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I hate that question. Anyway, he said that I was weaving in and out of lanes and thought I was a DUI; it was a weekday and I was going home from work at around 630-730. Anyway, he did the field sobriety test on me and passed it and breathalyzer also. To which he said "Okay, I'll let this one go. But next time, be more careful." Of course, I'll be respectful and say thanks, but seriously "let it go"? well, yeah, you had no hard evidence.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
This seems like a great place to mention this. I've lived in many places and been stopped by law enforcement at one time or another in each. But I have to say the most professional law enforcement that I've ever seen is the Rhode Island State Police. While I was living there I had several encounters with them usually due to the fact that I had no front license plate and was running Georgia plates even though I'd been there for quite a long time. (Legal, because I was active duty at the time.)

The troopers were always professional, their uniforms perfect and they always were polite. The stops always started the same. The trooper would get out of his vehicle, straighten his hat and walk up to the driver's side where he'd have to look down because they are all the tallest individuals around. Then he'd say something like, "Good morning, driver. I'm Trooper Smith from Post H. My probable cause for stopping you today was your out of state tag." They'd go onto to remind me that I had 90 days to change it over, etc. Then I'd show my military ID and all would be good.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Pull over to a safe place where we aren't in danger of being run down, roll down the window and say "I have my concealed in the car on my hip" before the cop even says a word.

I've always wondered what would be the correct thing to say to a cop who pulls you over when you have a concealed permit. I know in Pennsylvania you aren't required to inform the cop that you have a concealed weapon, but it seems like it would be best to let him know before he finds it if your vehicle is being searched. I would assume saying "I have a gun" would probably not be the best approach.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I've always wondered what would be the correct thing to say to a cop who pulls you over when you have a concealed permit. I know in Pennsylvania you aren't required to inform the cop that you have a concealed weapon, but it seems like it would be best to let him know before he finds it if your vehicle is being searched. I would assume saying "I have a gun" would probably not be the best approach.

It's just a courtesy and proactively sets the tone. It also gets you out of tickets a lot of the time.

To me it just seems like the smart thing to do.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
It's just a courtesy and proactively sets the tone. It also gets you out of tickets a lot of the time.

To me it just seems like the smart thing to do.

I'm not doubting that it's a smart thing. I just never knew how you should word it. Like you said explaining you have a concealed permit and the weapon is in the vehicle is the best way to tell them. But I wonder how many people just simple say "I have a gun". All the office may hear is "Gun" and it's all downhill from there.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
. Officers are people too and they don't like dealing with jerks just as no one else does.

In my experience, more than a few officers are jerks, and I don't like dealing with them.

I haven't been pulled / waved over in a car, but have been when on a motorcycle on occasion over the years.

About 40 years ago I didn't say or do anything much….. Just sat astride my bike, accepted the speeding ticket (on three occasions) and carried on. I haven't had a ticket since.

About 30 years ago I was pulled over when I fell foul of a give way law that had been changed during a couple of years that I was abroad. I asked, "What's the problem?"

The WPC explained the law change and sent me on my way. Last year the law was changed back to how it was before. Now it is in keeping with the rest of the world again.

About 20 years ago in the UK I was pulled over, so once again asked what the problem was. The PC's said that they had seen my bike wobble at a roundabout. They got me to blow into a breathalyser, got a negative and sent me on my way.

I had felt the wobble, and suspected a problem with the rear wheel. On inspection when I got home I found the bearings had failed, so replaced them a few days later.

Where I live now, like many locals, I seldom bother stopping when waved over at the frequent checkpoints. There is no point….. I wear a helmet, carry a licence and my bike's registration is current. Better leave the police to deal with heinous criminal tourists who obligingly stop sans helmet and licence on a rent-a-scoot. In exchange for a fee of about $20 they get a document that allows them to ride without a helmet or licence for the rest of the day.

Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Where I live now, like many locals, I seldom bother stopping when waved over at the frequent checkpoints. There is no point…..

Must be nice to be able to say "thanks but no thanks" and keep going!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
When I lived in New York almost everyone I knew had a "Family and Friends PBA card. At least that's what I think they were called. I called them a "Get out of jail Free" card.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
When I lived in New York almost everyone I knew had a "Family and Friends PBA card. At least that's what I think they were called. I called them a "Get out of jail Free" card.

When I lived in New Jersey you had to make sure to show the right card. NJ State Police, you showed PBA the local/county ones you showed FOP. There are so many stickers on the back window of people's cars it is crazy.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I pull over ASAP, and I'm very polite to the officer, admitting to whatever I did wrong. That said, I haven't been pulled over in 20 years. This is when I had fast cars. Now that I'm much older,(62 this May) I drive in a reasonable manner, keeping up with traffic, even if means I'm speeding. I drive a silver Toyota Corolla which makes me less of a target these days.. :)

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Must be nice to be able to say "thanks but no thanks" and keep going!

Not really a case of "thanks but no thanks". More a case of not wanting to deal with jerks. They don't like it, but give chase? Why bother when some obliging felon will come along and stop.

Last edited:

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Not really a case of "thanks but no thanks". More a case of not wanting to deal with jerks. They don't like it, but give chase? Why bother when some obliging felon will come along and stop.

In Georgia if you drive by a roadblock, things are not going to go so well for you. We have these officers who just love to open up those Police Interceptor engines.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For those who don't already know ......... You DO NOT have to stop for an unmarked police vehicle. You can keep going and call 911 to request a marked car.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Both times I've been "pulled over" or "stopped" have been in parking lots - something about being in a parking lot after hours, idk. Both times I (along with the friends I was with) were polite and courteous to the officer and every other word out of our mouths was "sorry". Both times I (we) were given a verbal warning and told not to do it again.

Essentially, the officers wanted to make sure we were not:
  • Having sex
  • Smoking weed
  • Drinking
Respect will get you a long way. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You mean you should say "What happened the donut shop ran out of donuts" when he pulls you over :p

When my son was a teenager he used to put stickers on the car he was driving, I told him that the "Bad Cop, No Donut" sticker was not a good one to have, but when he did get stopped, the cop thought it was funny. There's just no telling. I think he was lucky to get the right cop, but I don't remember what he was pulled over for or if he got a ticket. :eek:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
When the cop approaches my car, I lower the window and ask him if he has a moment to talk about Jesus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.