Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:44 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 6 Renders Reimagined as iPhone 6c

Last week we posted renderings of what the iPhone 6 might look like based on leaked design drawings of the unreleased device. Since that time, we've seen early cases and possible design molds for the device.

Ferry Passchier, the designer we commissioned for the original designs, has rethought the design as if it was modeled after the iPhone 5c with colorful plastic backings. Passchier produced these renderings with that in mind:

The original renderings assumed it followed Apple's aluminum design of the iPhone 5s, though an all-aluminum design would introduce issues with Apple's antenna design.

Apple is expected to release the iPhone 6 this fall, and we expect to see more design and part leaks as production starts ramping up.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Renders Reimagined as iPhone 6c
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Menel
macrumors 601

Hmmm very probable.

4.7inch plastic phone with bezels, first out the gate.
5.5inch alloy flagship, no bezel (lcd to antenna band), with the dual flash, later...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:46 AM   #3
allistera
macrumors regular

Will be interesting to see where Apple goes with the C range, all the attention is on the iPhone 6 the now, will they discontinue the C, or keep it going in another form.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:46 AM   #4
steven oreally
macrumors newbie

Stretching things... extraordinary, magical!
steven oreally is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:46 AM   #5
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Codename: Granny Smith
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Sky Blue

Please no.
Sky Blue is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:48 AM   #7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Ferry Passchier, the designer we commissioned for the original designs, has rethought the design as if it was modeled after the iPhone 5C with colorful plastic backings. Passchier produced these renderings with that in mind:
Rethought? Really? Don't think much thought went into this, this is just a rescaled 5C. This might be how it looks, but don't claim a lot of thought went into it - it is basically sticking with a design (and I actually really like the 5C, feels nice in the hand, nice touch to the surface and looks good in most colors - but this green is too extreme for me, but others might like it)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:50 AM   #8
mKizzo
macrumors member

That might connect better with the previous story "New Photo of Alleged iPhone 6 Manufacturing Mold Hints at 4.7-Inch Display" as a mould would be used for the plastic back of a 6C whereas an aluminium iPhone6 would probably be CNC machined liked the MBP chassis.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:53 AM   #9
groovyd
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven oreally View Post
I see room for one more row of buttons

I predict they will render icons at the same size in pixels and add another row instead of stretching what is there now.
groovyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven oreally View Post
Not only is it bigger, but it's made from polymer it's simply magical.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKizzo View Post
That might connect better with the previous story "New Photo of Alleged iPhone 6 Manufacturing Mold Hints at 4.7-Inch Display" as a mould would be used for the plastic back of a 6C whereas an aluminium iPhone6 would probably be CNC machined liked the MBP chassis.
Their plastic is also CNC machined. http://gizmodo.com/the-brilliant-sim...ign-1291914052

But yes, that article confused me. They'd likely injection mold a solid rear shell, followed by the CNC.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:55 AM   #12
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Still ugly. Jony Ive has poor taste in color.
mdridwan47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:59 AM   #13
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdridwan47 View Post
I love it. Plus, I can get a matching Porsche:

Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:59 AM   #14
ColdShadow
macrumors regular

Thumbs down

Yuck!
seriously you are wasting your money commissioning this guy.no offence but he has no talent,at least not in designing phones.
he just re-scales and mixes an iPad mini with an iPhone 5c on photoshop and call it his design!
it looks terrible,thanks god the real Apple product will not look like this.
ColdShadow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:02 AM   #15
Mad Man
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdridwan47 View Post
This is no official or Jony Ive design - it is a mockup from someone pretending to think like Apple but falling short.
Mad Man is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:07 AM   #16
mtbgtr
macrumors member

With all the sharp eyes on this forum I cant believe I am the only one to notice that the renderings don't match the drawings for the backside. The drawings clearly show a case separation on the backside like the front side separation from the glass. I imagine its also a sapphire back. So get your rendering engines started again, its a long way till September, we need more Rumors .
mtbgtr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:07 AM   #17
iZac
macrumors 65816

This!

Apple's own powerpoint said the most significant growth in the market is for 'cheaper, larger phones' Where better to increase growth than with a cheaper larger phone?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:07 AM   #18
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
This is no official or Jony Ive design - it is a mockup from someone pretending to think like Apple but falling short.
But iPhone 5c has terrible color. That was chosen by Ive.
mdridwan47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:08 AM   #19
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

I guess I'm one of the few who really likes the 5C. My only complaint has been the lack of higher capacity versions. If the 6 is designed like the 5C and has a 64 gb version, I'm getting it.
jayducharme is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:08 AM   #20
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

The iPhone C line is disgusting
Aluminum213 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:14 AM   #21
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

If the schematics shown previously are to be believed as from the next iPhone, then it will have to have a plastic back - because there is no antennae windows shown.

If the next iPhone were to have an aluminum back, it would require the top and bottom glass or plastic windows that current 5s (old 5) and all iPads have (top and Apple logo in the case of the iPads).

If they stick with the current plastic and aluminum options for models going forward, then we haven't seen any examples of the metal backed versions or schematics yet. It could be they're being more secretive about it, or it could be the end (for now) of aluminum backed iPhones.

I'm fine either way - although I absolutely don't want some garish colored iPhone - black, gray or white MUST be an option or I'll stick with my 5s.
jmgregory1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:16 AM   #22
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
Rethought? Really? Don't think much thought went into this, this is just a rescaled 5C.
Actually it's not just a rescaled 5C. The volume and power buttons are based on the drawings and rumors.
sulpfiction is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:21 AM   #23
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Why is the word "Alleged" not in the title? This is still no evidence whatsoever that anything has actually been leaked. Just because some Japanese website posted technical looking documents it doesn't mean that they are real. My son is a mechanical engineer and could make as convincing a blueprint on his Macbook without breaking a sweat.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:22 AM   #24
Locoboof
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Locoboof
"A all aluminum back would cause antenna issues" Wasn't the very first iPhone all aluminum?
Locoboof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:25 AM   #25
lusky
macrumors newbie

my first thought when I seen the design mock-ups was that it looked 5c like and This would fit but whou knows, remember all the tapered design leaks before the 4s came out?

I'll say one this for the 5c, I work at weddings and every year you can see what the popular phones are with what guests are using, nothing scientific but anecdotal. and this year by quite a margin the most popular phone with guests (usually young female) has been the 5c, specifically the pink and yellow.

I know it means nothing in the grand scheme of things but it is a useful bellwether for what is the in phone every year, still a lot of 4 and 4s kicking around stills well
lusky is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion