Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wololololo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
hi, hope this is in the right section.

I have a imac 12,2 and replaced the original Standard Apple 1 TB HDD (sata 2) with a HDD/SDD 2TB Hybrid Drive (sata 3) and used the OWC external sensor kit so the Drive would not fry or get crazy fans (this seems rather standard practice).

I sent my Imac to be sent for repair (free) as my ODD drive was spitting out DVD's randomly (hardware issue) and this was the only recorded fault.

When I received my imac back I went over system profile and noticed a (Sata 2) Apple 2TB HDD had been installed! I checked the computers serial etc and this is the same computer not a replacement.

Very Very strange! Is this normal practice, seeing as the replacement HDD would definitely pass the Hardware Test? i'm also kinda lucky that I didnt put my Samsung 840 pro in it! this may have led to a expensive downgrade!

Are Apple allow to change things that are not broken, I would at least want them to ask me before changing a part that was not specifically to do with the fix (odd in this case).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.