Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

angela_ahrendts_bw-250x333.jpg
Burberry chief executive Angela Ahrendts resigned last October from the British luxury fashion house to join Apple as the head of its retail division. According to The Guardian, Ahrendts is free to leave Burberry this month, having fulfilled her six-month notice period, but her actual exit date is not yet known.

Ahrendts may be staying longer at Burberry to help smooth the transition over to her successor Christopher Bailey, who is currently serving as the company's chief creative officer. Money also may be a factor in Ahrendts leaving as she is slated to receive a two million pound bonus in June for her recent performance as Burberry CEO.
"It's a big sum of money. In some ways it would be good to see the business moving on after six months of handover time. You want to see clarity," said Rahul Sharma, an analyst at Neev Capital.

But he said investors were also likely to feel reassured by Ahrendt's presence ahead of some big moves for Burberry and continuing concerns about Bailey's ability to combine his creative role with that of a chief executive.

"That is a big concern in the back of investors' minds and Ahrendt's presence delays that point of judgment," he said.
Another factor may be Ahrendts' critical role in Burberry's revamped Japanese business strategy, which involves severing long-term apparel licensing agreements in 2015 and creating its own distribution system in the important Asian market. Burberry is expected to confirm this plan as part of the company's annual report next month.

Ahrendts will join Apple as the Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores, a position that has seen significant turnover in the past several years. In 2011, Ron Johnson left Apple for J.C. Penney, after building up Apple's retail presence during his 11-year tenure. Johnson was replaced by Dixons CEO John Browett, who served less than a year at Apple.

Article Link: Angela Ahrendts May Delay Apple Start Until Mid-Year

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
She's turned Burberry around for sure, it's amazing the growth it's had over the last few years

One of the FEW good moves in the Tim Cook era

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
She's turned Burberry around for sure, it's amazing the growth it's had over the last few years

It's all to easy to be critical, but in fact we know almost nothing about the inner workings of Apple (or any other company), and not especially at the top levels where the big fish swim. It's a wild guess at who will work out and who will fail. Ron Johnson, who was so successful at Apple, was a total disaster at JC Penny, and contrary to the partisan feelings in places like this, it wasn't the company's fault. Of course we hope Ahrendts will work out at Apple but we really don't know yet whether her skills will translate to this assignment.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Hmmm... She's been so successful over there. What motivated her to leave her current position? Maybe she'll be the next CEO for Apple?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

i dont think thats quite accurate. tim hasnt had any grandiose moments, but he hasnt made too many missteps.
sure the first replacement for the svp of retail position was a bomb

but other than that, and the maps fiasco, which he inherited from Jobs, he's done a pretty good job...

iOS 7 was a transition, like every other big transition, there will be rough patches. See: intel transition, os X transition, XP to Vista transition etc etc

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
She's a sexy version of the president of caprica

She does kind of look like President Adar. Surely you didn't mean Laura Roslin; she was just an opportunistic school teacher dictator.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
£2 million pounds just to stay?
Are Burberry made of money?

that's her annual bonus. It's usually given when someone meets or exceeds their goals. A lot of companies do that on annual basis. At least she does something, there are many useless Wall Street execs who get that on quarterly basis for doing absolutely nothing.

If I were her, I'd stay until I get my bonus ;-)

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
So is apple supposed to just wait until she is ready to leave her current position? She accepted a job gave a start date surly she should be held to that. Guess retail can continue to run as it always does without a leader. Let's see how long she lasts.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What happened with Browlett that he flamed out in one year?

We don't know the entire story about Browett, but the sense I got was that he was hired to apply some of his mass-market retail knowledge to making Apple Retail more efficient, and got canned for actually trying to do it. Maybe he tried to do too much too quickly. That was Johnson's apparent mistake at JC Penny.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
So is apple supposed to just wait until she is ready to leave her current position? She accepted a job gave a start date surly she should be held to that. Guess retail can continue to run as it always does without a leader. Let's see how long she lasts.

Which start date was mentioned in the contract that she signed?

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Which start date was mentioned in the contract that she signed?

I can't remember a start date being reported. I am sure she has one, but does it really matter? I feel like Apple can be flexible right now and wait a few extra weeks. Its not like retail is tanking and the holiday shopping is right around the corner. :)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I can't remember a start date being reported. I am sure she has one, but does it really matter? I feel like Apple can be flexible right now and wait a few extra weeks. Its not like retail is tanking and the holiday shopping is right around the corner. :)

It will be tight though, if she starts in say Mid June, and the new iPhone is release mid September... are 3 months enough? Maybe they are thinking more long term

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.