Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's FaceTime appears to be malfunctioning for iPhone and iPad users with devices running iOS 6, according to multiple tips received by MacRumors as well as a MacRumors forum post and a thread on the Apple Support Communities.

It appears that users who are running iOS 6 are unable to place or receive FaceTime calls, with reports of problems dating back to yesterday. Devices running iOS 7 appear to be functioning as normal, and Apple's System Status page is not reporting any outages.

facetime-500x222.jpg
One user mentioned being able to FaceTime with a device running iOS 6.1.6, while a device with iOS 6.0.1 was not able to access the service. Another has reported that Mac users running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion may also be experiencing problems with FaceTime.

Users who have had issues have contacted Apple Support and several Apple representatives have recommended an update to iOS 7 to fix the problem. It is likely the iOS 6 FaceTime outage is only temporary, however, and will presumably not necessitate an update to iOS 7.

Update 4/18 3:20 PM PT: Apple has updated and reordered its FaceTime troubleshooting page to give more prominence to a suggestion that all users update their devices to the latest version of iOS. While Apple has always recommended that FaceTime users install the latest operating system, the updated support page lists upgrading as the first troubleshooting step.

Article Link: FaceTime Not Working for Many iOS 6 Users

Airgaf

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
San Diego
Sounds like a planned outage

Causing a brief outage in only iOS 6 and OSX 10.8 sounds like a great way to boost the iOS 7 and Mavericks adoption rate. Just sayin...

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Causing a brief outage in only iOS 6 and OSX 10.8 sounds like a great way to boost the iOS 7 and Mavericks adoption rate. Just sayin...
That's exactly what I was told by Apple support after they had me jump thru hoops for 90 minutes of setting/resetting/etc.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It just works. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input, I hadn't noticed this before. Yep, it all just works, 100% of the time. As every Apple product ever has -- people never encounter issues with technological devices. There have never been problems, and this is the first. Ever.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Sister had this issue last night... Updated her to iOS 7, fixed the problem no problem.

advancewarsbest

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
I just added new features to an App I been working on with a team. The previous versions main features no longer work and need to update to have the previous features and the new features again.

Unless Apple is intentionally doing this, some of these comments are brutal to the developers.

costica1234

macrumors regular
May 21, 2013
I can confirm, FaceTime is no longer working on my dad's iPad 2 which is running iOS 6.0. FaceTime fails to connect when trying to make a call to a device running iOS 7/Mavericks or when receiving a call from such devices ...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
That's exactly what I was told by Apple support after they had me jump thru hoops for 90 minutes of setting/resetting/etc.

So rather than them immediately suggesting you upgrade to iOS 7, which you evidently don't want to do, they made you 'jump through hoops for 90 minutes' -- read: spend ages patiently trying to fix your issue on their last-gen mobile OS -- and only suggested upgrading when nothing else worked.

I'm amazed at some commenters' level of self-importance and insistence on whining about every little thing. If it's so bad, jump ship -- and you'll be lucky to get more than a 'tough ****' when things go wrong.

I wonder what gems and nuggets of wisdom you could have brought to the table had you been in that tech guy's position. Grow up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.