Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
2013 Mac Pro owners, I've noticed two very minor things about my system and I am wondering if you're experiencing the same:

1. The power cable doesn't fit snug into my Mac Pro. The right side sticks out a bit, while the left side is perfectly flush. I haven't experienced any issues with this, but I still found it odd — especially considering how careful Apple usually is with small details.

2. If I listen very closely to my Mac Pro, I can hear a faint static-like sound. Is this normal? It's the kind of sound that's only audible if you're really listening for it. Because I'm still going through my "new shiny toy" phase, I can't help but point it out.

Also, just as a note, my second point isn't in reference to the high pitch noise that others have apparently been hearing. Mine is very low and probably normal. However, because the fan is the only moving part, I want to be sure. Can you do me a favor and see if you can hear anything with your Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance!

h4nc0

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014
1. mine fits perfectly.
2. as fan speed increases, it does produce higher frequency whine but that is normal, imo.

Jinykim

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2014
Australia
1. I have no problem with my power cable.
2. I can hear some kinda high pitch sound honestly, but I don't think this is coil whining..:confused:

h4nc0

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014
I think that people's expectations were too high regarding fan noise. It has a fan and it will make noise, period. Throughout the years, I've tried so HARD to build a near-silent machine (water-cooling) but this nMP is quietest of 'em all. My Lacie 2big drive is so loud, I just can't hear much noise from nMP. Also, I am now afraid to turn on my PC because it is SO LOUD compared to nMP. :)

hdrummon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
Aldie, VA
Nothing to complain about on my MP

1. Cord fits snug - even - as expected
2. No fan noise at all. Can't barely tell it's running and I'm in a quiet office all the time.

No complaints here....MP2013 is awesome mean mother of a server....blows away any other server I've had.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
1. Cord fits snug - even - as expected
2. No fan noise at all. Can't barely tell it's running and I'm in a quiet office all the time.

No complaints here....MP2013 is awesome mean mother of a server....blows away any other server I've had.

Same for me... quiet office... have 12core/D700s/1TB-SSD/64GB-RAM... TV, 34" LG and 20" ACD/DVI displays attached.

At idle no noise...
At full power still no noticeable noise... just warm air flowing out the top

Do hear a audio clicking sound at times and have to save/quit/restart AE to resolve... this is becoming annoying and hopefully Apple will fix this audio anomaly soon.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
No problem with noise or plug...but a different issue

2013 Mac Pro owners, I've noticed two very minor things about my system and I am wondering if you're experiencing the same:

1. The power cable doesn't fit snug into my Mac Pro. The right side sticks out a bit, while the left side is perfectly flush. I haven't experienced any issues with this, but I still found it odd — especially considering how careful Apple usually is with small details.

2. If I listen very closely to my Mac Pro, I can hear a faint static-like sound. Is this normal? It's the kind of sound that's only audible if you're really listening for it. Because I'm still going through my "new shiny toy" phase, I can't help but point it out.

Also, just as a note, my second point isn't in reference to the high pitch noise that others have apparently been hearing. Mine is very low and probably normal. However, because the fan is the only moving part, I want to be sure. Can you do me a favor and see if you can hear anything with your Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance!

I received 6 days ago a 6 core, D500, 1 TB, 3x4 GB nMP.
Until now I could not hear the often reported high pitch noise but some people said it appeared after a certain time.
I must also mention that I am 69 y.o. and my limit in high frequencies is about 10 KHz.
The noisy external disks mentioned by other people, for instance for Time Machine, are also near my desk top and of course hide any possible low hiss which could be coming from the nMP.

My power plug was OK and fitted as it should.

However I did have an issue. A very strange one.
After migrating my data, whenever I booted from the nMP, the image in the display shaked (trembled) when scrolling up, down left or right or when moving any window.

Strangely when booting from an external clone drive connected via USB3, there was no trembling in the display when scrolling or moving a window, although it used of course the graphic card of the nMP in the same way as when booting from the inside HD.
The Apple Customer technicians suggested me first a PRAM reset and then trying a different monitor.
Both advises brought no solution.
A different display showed the same behavior. :confused:

Finally I decided to delete entirely the internal HD, to install again OSX and to migrate my data a second time.
Now it does not show the shaking in the display and I hope it remains so.
:D

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Maybe I just have good hearing, but I can definitely hear a very low static-like sound coming from inside the Mac Pro. It's not distracting, but just knowing it's there has me curious.

For those testing, did you put your ear all the way up to the Mac Pro and listen carefully? I'm thinking it might be the fan, but just the other night I heard it go off for what seemed to be a millisecond between renders in Final Cut Pro X. Weird, huh? Would the processor make any kinds of small noise?

I haven't had any issues, so I don't think it's something worth bringing up with Apple. Perhaps it's something minor that will be resolved with a firmware update. And as for the power plug, mine is still not flush. Still though, not an issue since I haven't had any power failures of sorts.

I'll be honest... I am very picky, even with the smallest details. I've already noticed a few small blemishes around the top of the Mac Pro's shell that were not caused by me. They seem to be small spots of some kind, as if the paint didn't completely cover them.

Regardless of my small nitpicks, it's a beautiful system that runs extremely well. Performance is impressive and overall fan noise (or lack thereof) is quite the engineering achievement.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I've uploaded an audio clip of the sound: https://soundcloud.com/david-di-franco-jr/mac-pro-noise

I maxed out the volume in FCPX, so it's not even close to being this loud. Actually, I really can only hear it when I'm actually listening for it, and usually with my head right up to the Mac Pro itself. It's not like others' issues where people seem to be annoyed by it.

However, listen to right around :05. That's its high point, which I actually just heard for the first time when recording and editing this.

rwbarna

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Bernalillo, NM
My 2 bit coins:
1. Cord fits snugLY.

2. After I put a Pegasus2 R4, and a Startech 2-bay UASP unit nearby, the nMP is silent as the p in beer.

h4nc0

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014
I've uploaded an audio clip of the sound: https://soundcloud.com/david-di-franco-jr/mac-pro-noise

I maxed out the volume in FCPX, so it's not even close to being this loud. Actually, I really can only hear it when I'm actually listening for it, and usually with my head right up to the Mac Pro itself. It's not like others' issues where people seem to be annoyed by it.

However, listen to right around :05. That's its high point, which I actually just heard for the first time when recording and editing this.

Yeah, mine makes similar noise. I think it's quite normal.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Could the non fitting powerplug have anything to do with the noise? If I payed that kinda money for a nMP I would expect the plug to fit tight,and if not would exchange...

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Could the non fitting powerplug have anything to do with the noise? If I payed that kinda money for a nMP I would expect the plug to fit tight,and if not would exchange...

I'm thinking it might be the cause, but I doubt it. It's weird too, since everything looks aligned on the Mac Pro itself. It could be the cable... but who knows. I'll be trying another outlet at some point. Until then, it's honestly not an issue. I've learned to not worry about it so much. It's working perfectly fine, and I'd hate to send it in and take the chance of receiving another Mac Pro with issues that actually matter.

----------

Yeah, mine makes similar noise. I think it's quite normal.

That's what I am thinking. I can't even hear the noise right now, without putting my ear up to it, which leads me to believe that I am overthinking a non-issue. However, if something eventually does come up, then I'll contact Apple.

h4nc0

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014
I'll be trying another outlet at some point. Until then, it's honestly not an issue.

That's what I am thinking. I can't even hear the noise right now, without putting my ear up to it, which leads me to believe that I am overthinking a non-issue. However, if something eventually does come up, then I'll contact Apple.

I am using mine in a home studio, all power runs off an AVR and an isolation transformer. I doubt it's anything other than just the fan and the airflow making the sound. Can you post a picture of the power cable not fitting perfectly?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012

I can sat I haven't heard anything like that coming from my machine.
Usually the only thing I hear is the hum of my external drives.

When really pushing the machine with multiple heavy 3D tests simultaneously I could hear the fan. Nothing like what you recorded though.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Even with both my hearing aids in . .

. . all I can hear is the fan in my Drobo Time Machine, the fan in my external thunderbolt raid work drive, a faint hum from my UPS, the dog scratching itself on the couch at the other end of my office, the clock ticking, the coffee machine behind me grinding some beans, the voices inside my head and iTunes playing the Ramones.

I expect if I put my ear REALLY CLOSE to the top of my absolutely wonderful MacPro I might be able to hear a very faint noise, but why on earth would I want to do that?

Can't tell how crooked my power cable is because I've misplace my micrometer.

:rolleyes:

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
The black power plug square snaps into place. I've purchased at least 30 Mac Pros so far for work and noticed 2 of the power plugs not alined properly.

I applied pressure to the black square and it snapped into shape. Then plugged it into the Mac Pro.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
. . all I can hear is the fan in my Drobo Time Machine, the fan in my external thunderbolt raid work drive, a faint hum from my UPS, the dog scratching itself on the couch at the other end of my office, the clock ticking, the coffee machine behind me grinding some beans, the voices inside my head and iTunes playing the Ramones.

I expect if I put my ear REALLY CLOSE to the top of my absolutely wonderful MacPro I might be able to hear a very faint noise, but why on earth would I want to do that?

Can't tell how crooked my power cable is because I've misplace my micrometer.

:rolleyes:

There's no need to roll your eyes, especially when we're talking about a $4,000+ computer. It's perfectly okay to be curious about small details. And judging from others' replies, I'm obviously not alone.

----------

The black power plug square snaps into place. I've purchased at least 30 Mac Pros so far for work and noticed 2 of the power plugs not alined properly.

I applied pressure to the black square and it snapped into shape. Then plugged it into the Mac Pro.

Well, I'm glad I am not alone. Thanks for chiming in!

compute

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2013
I have a simular kind of sound and to be honest i don't think this is all that abnormal...it has been blown a bit out of proportion i think...

for what its worth...i checked on my old macpro 2009 model since i still need to send it back:

- On the nmp i have this sound when adding a field blur in photoshop...out of curiosity i started up the old mac pro, removed the door and guess what...the old mac pro actually makes the exact same or atleast very comparable sound the nmp makes when i play around with the field blur in photoshop....this sound in the old macpro came from the videocard as it was easily to pin-point since the case opened up niceley...

- another sound that was described on here as coil whine i could also reproduce on the old mac pro (when downloading very large large files) this time the coil whine like sound came from the power suply inside the old macpro...

So in both cases the old macpro kind of like did the same witch makes me think this is not all that abnormal for a computer to do...and its not as if the sound is very loud, you would actually have to really focus on it to hear it...i'm not going to worry about it, i'll just get Apple care witch i was going to take anyway in this case i'm save incase something happens. for a machine this expensive you should take applecare anyway.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
There's no need to roll your eyes, especially when we're talking about a $4,000+ computer. It's perfectly okay to be curious about small details. And judging from others' replies, I'm obviously not alone.

Well, mine actually cost nearer to $12,000 and I actually bought it to work on, so I think what you call 'small details' is nit-picking. The fact you are 'not alone' just means there are other people nit-picking too.

If, as you think, your machine is faulty, you obviously will have complained to Apple about it. Maybe you could tell us all their response.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Well, mine actually cost nearer to $12,000 and I actually bought it to work on, so I think what you call 'small details' is nit-picking. The fact you are 'not alone' just means there are other people nit-picking too.

If, as you think, your machine is faulty, you obviously will have complained to Apple about it. Maybe you could tell us all their response.

Nah, I don't think it's faulty. It's actually been working perfectly fine. I simply started this thread to see if anyone else was "nitpicking" and whether my issues were something actually worth worrying about.

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009

Agree about how did apple handle it. What does the cost of the hardware have to do with it?

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
In my opinion, the cost of a product should reflect small "nitpicks" and whether they're an issue. It's all relative to one's experience.

The cost of the product has nothing to do with how you are treated as a customer. At least it shouldn't. The CPU, ssd, ram all have real costs associated with them and should not affect the customer experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.