Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wu-TangDan

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
Touch ID Optional?

This might be a silly question given Apple's track record, but do you suppose there is a chance that TouchID would be an optional function on the new iPad? I feel like that would be a great way to offer a price break for those who don't want this feature like myself.

I know it's a great security feature and all, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am giving up my finger print to a company so high on the NSA's priority list. Even if it is just stored as data, if anyone can access it, it's probably them...

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
The next-generation iPad Air is expected to launch later this year...

I thought the "Next Generation" iPad IS the iPad Air.

----------

2GB RAM and I buy.

Air 1 crashes apps way too much.

You do realize that it's very possible that while Apple may add more ram to the next model there may be functions in it that might eat up much of that ram. ;). Also I have counted less than 3 crashes in a month's time with extensive use on my iPad Air and that's between iOS 7 and 7.1.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
This might be a silly question given Apple's track record, but do you suppose there is a chance that TouchID would be an optional function on the new iPad? I feel like that would be a great way to offer a price break for those who don't want this feature like myself.

I know it's a great security feature and all, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am giving up my finger print to a company so high on the NSA's priority list. Even if it is just stored as data, if anyone can access it, it's probably them...

Jesus not this again.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
A move to an integrated front panel/display would reduce overall thickness, potentially allowing Apple to further slim down the iPad Air or make room for other components such as a slightly larger battery.

I doubt they make the battery bigger with that extra space. That isn't Apple's MO. They would find a way to increase battery life while keeping the battery the same size or making it even smaller. Thinner is better, at least according to Apple.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
I doubt they make the battery bigger with that extra space. That isn't Apple's MO. They would find a way to increase battery life while keeping the battery the same size or making it even smaller. Thinner is better, at least according to Apple.

Thinner is better because the device can become lighter. The weight of the iPad Air is great. But making it even lighter will be awesome.

Never really had an issue with battery life. I guess it is my preference, but I would take an even lighter iPad with the same battery life, over an iPad with the current weight and a longer battery life.

Last edited:

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i guess gone are the days of blurry pics ... it looks like from the reflection this pic was taken with a gold 5S.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
What the hell is going on with all these leaks WAY earlier than they have been in the past?

It used to be these kinds of leaks occurred 1 week before product reveal. Now they come 6 months before product reveals. How is Apple supposed to keep its lead on Samsung when Samsung can see what they need to clone months earlier?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
bigger battery?!?!?!

I thought everyone wanted a thinner device :p

The air is thin enough, until battery technology have a breaktrough in how they can contain bigger energy charge in smaller thinner package. This is probably the thinnest point for the ipad air.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011

It is an optional function, you don't have to use it.

If they do it, they'll probably add it to all future models.

A lot of people want it. Not me, it just seems silly.

Wu-TangDan

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
It's been explained again and again how Apple uses only mathematical representations of your fingerprint, and not your actual fingerprint. Also, it is on a separate locked down chip that isn't accessible by anything else.

I'm not trying to be a troll, so forgive me. I think I would just like to err on the side of caution here. I want to believe what you and others say, but my gut tells me where there is data, there is a way to access it with the proper resources. Something about a Patriot Act and a HUGE data center tells me the US Government just might have these resources! It's not Apple I don't trust. It's the jackasses with the "court orders"

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Instead of opsessing with thinness Apple should try to add functionalities to iPad. I have a 3rd gen and don't have much reason to upgrade.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I'm not trying to be a troll, so forgive me. I think I would just like to err on the side of caution here. I want to believe what you and others say, but my gut tells me where there is data, there is a way to access it with the proper resources. Something about a Patriot Act and a HUGE data center tells me the US Government just might have these resources! It's not Apple I don't trust. It's the jackasses with the "court orders"

If it makes you feel better, it would only require a very little data center to store your fingerprint data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.