Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Any news on toyota getting in this? My parents are planning to get the 2015 toyota 4runner as soon as it comes out,

rageguy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Great decision. Hyundai is really gaining popularity and this move will certainly influence more potential car buyers to go Hyundai.

memcpy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
How about a local Siri server built into the car? It would mean that you can use Siri even when you have no Internet connection.

I'm serious, I'd almost submit this as a suggestion to Apple because I've had so much frustration with Siri being unable to play my music just because I'm in a dead zone or my DHCP lease is taking forever to work.

----------

Depends how you define progress. ;)

And "liberal". Is that Democrat or… actually liberal?

----------

Yes, Hyundai and its sister Kia gave come a long way in the looks & drivability department. They are quite competitive now in the low and mid market. Their high end is very nice too but still have a hard time wrapping my head around a $60K Hyundai.

More like they stole their looks from Mercedes.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
More like they stole their looks from Mercedes.

Most cars take design cues from Mercedes, BMW, or Audi. It's just the nature of the industry to copy designs people like. Hyundai is no different. Copying is easy, execution of the copy not as much. And then you have to engineer a car that doesn't drive like a sack of marbled or fall apart like a Jenga structure.

I don't own a Hyundai myself but have had opportunities to drive them recently.

Last edited:

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
There is number of important points. Hyundai is largest Korean automaker and quite popular, its cars are quite good, yet affordable and in recent surveys are in top in terms of customer satisfaction.

The fact that Hyundai prefers Apple is very important for further penetration of Asian market - in fact, Hyundai and Samsung are rivals in some cases.

Hyundai is also not bad at all and recently has launched a line of great looking SUVs likes this Santa-Fe. They also own Kia brand.

Hyundai
2014_hyundai_santa_fe_limited-pic-4949768255797232877.jpeg

Kia
2011-kia-sportage-front-angle-view-588x375_4cea0e40e725c.jpg

maybe their owners are not exactly Apple demographic (its more maybe BMW or Audi), however still they have purchasing power.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. Can’t people wait until their parked to worry about some silly text message? People don’t realize that vehicles are heavy machines that can cause great damage.
I can’t be alone in thinking that driving without distractions should be the number one priority. I can understand hands free Bluetooth (which is law in Illinois as of 1/1/2014) but reading information off or interacting with a huge screen should be against the law. I must be getting too old which is causing me to become more responsible.

I was asking the question, not to want to use the functionality, but point out the dangers involved.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
You've obviously never used Siri in the car. For at least 95% of the time, the screen won't be needed for core interaction. That's the point of CarPlay. You'll be LESS distracted using CarPlay than even changing the radio station the current way.

Changing the radio station "the current way" in my car already uses voice commands, and does not require using the screen or physical controls. As does controlling navigation and all sorts of other things, plus it can read out incoming texts if you want it to. I don't really see what all the hype about CarPlay is. The only thing I might find useful that I can't currently do is stream Internet radio in the car.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Here are pictures of people reading maps while driving. Happy?

While I completely agree with your statements about safety, I have to nitpick and add that if the couple in the second picture is driving, the map is less of a safety concern then the open door... ;)

EDIT: ups, did not see the other post about the open door, silly me. Sorry

RedGemini

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Altoona, PA
Changing the radio station "the current way" in my car already uses voice commands, and does not require using the screen or physical controls. As does controlling navigation and all sorts of other things, plus it can read out incoming texts if you want it to. I don't really see what all the hype about CarPlay is. The only thing I might find useful that I can't currently do is stream Internet radio in the car.

Streaming internet radio (iTunes Radio etc.) is something I CAN currently do, as can you, from the sounds of it. If your car supports Bluetooth audio streaming, then you can stream music. I can't do the rest of that unless I use Siri (still can't change radio stations, though). Oh, and I have a 2012 Sonata SE with the standard audio system.

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I don't want an aftermarket unit. Don't want to lose volume control on the steering wheel

There are solutions for that. Many of the aftermarket companies are even OEM providers for the auto industry (Panasonic, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, Alpine, etc.)

And they are aware that people want to keep the volume controls on their steering wheels.

My Sequoia originally came with a JBL system from the factory. When it was upgraded to Pioneer a compatible interface was attached for the steering wheel controls and I never lost any functionality.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Im sorry, I didn't get you. You mean hands are needed to talk?
Well, while there are certainly many people who use the hands to talk (often stereotyped to southern europe)...my comment was more intended towards hands used for "body talk"...sorry I will not get any mor einto detail, as this may not be appropriate in a public forum ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.