Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstofnine

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2014
Munich/Bavaria/Germany
In terms of USB3 it is not just only about "it's just a HUB". The nMP supports the UASP protocoll with USB3. If a device (i.e. drive enclosure chip set) supports that protocoll as well you can reach much higher transfer rates compared to devices not supporting UASP. If the USB3 HUB "kills" the UASP protocol when a device with UASP is connected, you loose much of its possible performance. Unfortunately not every HUB manufacturer communicates this feature, but from my experience the HUB the TE suggested works fine with UASP, because I have it myself and I tested it.
Regards

Short note: a SSD in a USB3 enclosure with UASP connected via SATA-3 is much(!) faster than a SSD in a Thunderbold enclosure where the SSD is connected via SATA-2.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
In terms of USB3 it is not just only about "it's just a HUB". The nMP supports the UASP protocoll with USB3. If a device (i.e. drive enclosure chip set) supports that protocoll as well you can reach much higher transfer rates compared to devices not supporting UASP. If the USB3 HUB "kills" the UASP protocol when a device with UASP is connected, you loose much of its possible performance. Unfortunately not every HUB manufacturer communicates this feature, but from my experience the HUB the TE suggested works fine with UASP, because I have it myself and I tested it.
Regards

Short note: a SSD in a USB3 enclosure with UASP connected via SATA-3 is much(!) faster than a SSD in a Thunderbold enclosure where the SSD is connected via SATA-2.

Same question, which hub were you using that had uasp support? I don't know what the TE is either.

Thanks.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Hi,

I am a graphic designer, I ordered my Mac Pro but wont be here till February. :( But I am looking for a USB Hub to keep my desk free of cables. I have two or three drives connected to the Hub.
I have thinking off this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Anker®-7-Port...669&sr=1-2&keywords=Anker®+USB+3.0+7-Port+Hub

But I am not fully sure will it be compatible with OS X Mavericks, any recommendations will be grateful.

Thanks in advance. :)
I am using the 7 port version (slightly different chipset), it is working well with Mavericks and Mountain Lion. For Lion, I used hacked LaCie drivers.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Interestingly ....

Until now, I would have said, "ANY USB hub should work just fine.... Shop based on price and number of ports, plus power output."

But I had an odd experience with my new Mac Pro the other day. When I first set it up, I just re-used the hub I've had on my 2008 Mac Pro since it was new; an Inland branded powered hub with 4 USB ports and 2 Firewire 400 ports. I started experiencing an issue where the hub would disconnect momentarily and reconnect again, every 10 or 15 seconds. Shuffling around which devices were attached to it didn't seem to make any difference. (And I didn't have anything attached to the Firewire 400 portion of the hub either.)

I tried a spare 4 port no-name brand hub I had lying around, next, and it's working perfectly.

So unless I had the freaky bad luck of this hub going bad right when I decided to use it on the new Mac Pro? I think I may have just found one that's incompatible with it.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Until now, I would have said, "ANY USB hub should work just fine.... Shop based on price and number of ports, plus power output."

I tried a spare 4 port no-name brand hub I had lying around, next, and it's working perfectly.

You may want to rethink that. USB 3.0 is so much faster than USB 2.0. Look at the number of folks with the oMP (me included) scurrying around to find USB 3.0 solutions (PCIe Cards and Powered Hubs) and our experiences with USB 3.0. Just some food for thought.

Lou

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: older hubs

No, I realize that and that's a valid point. But in my case, the devices attached to the hub don't need the speed of USB 3.0 in the first place. I've got a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500m scanner, for example, and a cable to charge/sync a Lytro camera.

You may want to rethink that. USB 3.0 is so much faster than USB 2.0. Look at the number of folks with the oMP (me included) scurrying around to find USB 3.0 solutions (PCIe Cards and Powered Hubs) and our experiences with USB 3.0. Just some food for thought.

Lou

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
I use this hub hooked up to an Inateck 4004 for USB 3.0:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7P6176/

Decent price, has the latest chipset as mentioned earlier. Ports are a little finicky but it's never failed me. Also has a decent power supply and if the firmware ever needs an update the vendor has great tech support and download links to current firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.