Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hello all,

I've just finished making a book and video of my son's first year. I made them in iPhoto and iMovie respectively. I exported the movie to a mp4 and my intent is to put a copy on a flash drive and tape it inside the book. That way when somebody looks at the book they can pop the flash drive into a computer and watch the video if so inclined.

My question is what would be the best format for the video that will make whatever computer it's used on more likely to play it.

Is there any format that will easily play on both PC and Mac. Come to that, how do I need to format the flash drive so it can be viewed by either type of computer?

Thanks in advance!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Use Disk Utility to format the disk. If the video file is 4GB or larger, choose the ExFAT option. If the file is less that 4GB, use the MS-DOS (FAT) option in the format drop down.

Bot formats can be read from in either OS X or Windows.

ExFAT gets around the 4GB single file size limitation of FAT32.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Use Disk Utility to format the disk. If the video file is 4GB or larger, choose the ExFAT option. If the file is less that 4GB, use the MS-DOS (FAT) option in the format drop down.

Bot formats can be read from in either OS X or Windows.

ExFAT gets around the 4GB single file size limitation of FAT32.

Thanks so much! And I left the file in mp4 and it seems to play fine on both platforms.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks so much! And I left the file in mp4 and it seems to play fine on both platforms.

MP4 is just a container, neither system would have an issue with that.

For future proofing the codec (likely H.264 in this case) is more important. Unfortunately there's not much of a way to figure out what will be future-proof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.