Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

My friend's 2009 15" Macbook pro 5,4 has an issue with the trackpad being erratic. It doesn't properly respond to movement and is responsive in a random fashion making it impossible to use. I can click on stuff properly.

I am not sure if it is a battery bulging problem causing trackpad to function improperly.

He went to Apple a couple of years and they said there was water damage. I opened up the laptop and the inner side of the bottom plate has trackpad shaped rust stains.

Can I fix this myself?

Is there a place to fix this in New York where he lives or a place that will fix it for a reasonable price? The computer is old but works. But if they want $800 we might as well buy a new one.

Everything else works with the laptop so I'm not sure how the rust occurred.

Thanks

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi,

My friend's 2009 15" Macbook pro 5,4 has an issue with the trackpad being erratic. It doesn't properly respond to movement and is responsive in a random fashion making it impossible to use. I can click on stuff properly.

I am not sure if it is a battery bulging problem causing trackpad to function improperly.

He went to Apple a couple of years and they said there was water damage. I opened up the laptop and the inner side of the bottom plate has trackpad shaped rust stains.

Can I fix this myself?

Is there a place to fix this in New York where he lives or a place that will fix it for a reasonable price? The computer is old but works. But if they want $800 we might as well buy a new one.

Everything else works with the laptop so I'm not sure how the rust occurred.

Thanks

The easiest way is to remove the battery and inspect it. My guess is that the trackpad assembly is dying or the cable is crimped or corroded. A new trackpad assembly including screws isn't too expensive, and iFixit has some fantastic guides!

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Yes, as mentioned above, iFixit is a great resource for Videos on component replacement and breakdowns of how the machines go together/come apart.. and some links to Parts as well, or ebay likely will also have many options if you can troubleshoot enough, and get p/n specifics!!

This should be the link to yours (mid-2009 thru 2010) if a MBP 5,4 ~ Good Luck!!

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15"_Unibody_Mid_2009

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.