Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
U.S
I put my computer with a charger plugged in, and then next morning when I wake it up (either by opening a lid or unplugging the charger) the computer makes the sound from the optical drive as if it was booting up, but the screen remains black. The white led is on, but nothing on the screen. It even goes into sleep when I close a lid again and wait for few seconds, but it never turns the screen on. I am very frustrated because I have to force shut off the computer and restart it every day. I tried SMC and PRAM resent and didn't solve this issue.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

I have MacBook Pro Mid 2012 Base Model with Mavericks.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I put my computer with a charger plugged in, and then next morning when I wake it up (either by opening a lid or unplugging the charger) the computer makes the sound from the optical drive as if it was booting up, but the screen remains black. The white led is on, but nothing on the screen. It even goes into sleep when I close a lid again and wait for few seconds, but it never turns the screen on. I am very frustrated because I have to force shut off the computer and restart it every day. I tried SMC and PRAM resent and didn't solve this issue.

Sounds like an issue I had with my 2009 MBP. Put it to sleep then the next time I take it out and open it the screen is black. With mine the led light would go off and I would hear the hard drive spin up, but nothing except a hard restart would fix it. I hard restarted so many times that it would burn out SATA cables. Took it to Apple a bunch of times even after AppleCare ran out, and they still didn't have a permanent fix back in December. It doesn't do it anymore, but that machine doesn't leave my house anymore and is usually shut down when not in use.

Good luck! If you have AppleCare, I'd take it in.

byziphone4

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011

I have the same MacBook with the same specs...and I noticed mine is doing the same thing as well, just the way you described it. But it also does it when it is not plugged in before waking up from sleep. This has now happened to me twice...once after waking from sleep and it was plugged in..and once just now after waking up from sleep and not being plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.