Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fmh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Hello,

I have had a 1st Gen Apple TV 40GB model for about 4 years now and it has worked fine up until a couple of days ago. It is at the latest firmware 3.0.2 and is not hacked or jailbroken. I mostly use it for streaming TV Shows and Movies from my Mac's Shared iTunes Library. Occassional when I would go places I would load up the hard drive with content and take it with me and watch off the hard drive.

I have been using it a lot lately so I know it was working up until two days ago. I had it set up to stream content from my Mac. I turned it on and for Movies Menu it had only My Movies, Previews, Shared Movies and no other menu items. Then across the top of the screen it was white and stated I had no content available where normally the content from the iTunes Store would display. I try and select Previews and the cursor would automatically jump to My Movies. If I selected Shared Movies the cursor would also automatically jump to the top option also. In the rare event I was able to actually select Shared Movies and it would select it I selected the first movie on the list and played it. The movie would play for about a second and then skip for a second, play for a second, skip for a second. Basically stuttering real bad.

Here's what I did in order to try and solved the problem. And continued down the list if it didn't correct the problem.
1: Powered down the Apple TV and started it back up again.
2: Rebooted my Mac.
3: Powered on and off all networking equipment. Switch, Router, Modem.
4: Wiped the Apple TV to Factory Settings. Applied the 3.0.2 Firmware upgrade.
5: Still did the exact same thing so instead of Streaming Content I set the Apple TV up to Sync. I copied the Movies and TV shows I wished to view to the Hard Drive.

After all this the Menu Options are still not correct and when I play a Movie or TV Show directly from the Apple TV hard drive it still Stutters.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to correct this?

CyrusTO

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
This started happening to me yesterday. I'm having the identical issues that you are. My attempts to resolve it garnered nothing. However, I did notice that earlier on in the week I couldn't access the iTunes Store (before the aTV went on the fritz). Perhaps it's related to Apple and, let's hope, be resolved soon on their end.

fmh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
I was thinking also that maybe part of it was on Apple's side. But what really bothers me is that I can not play content directly off the Apple TV itself.

fmh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Well it is on Apple's end for sure. If I am not connected to the Network (Internet) the Apple TV will play content off the hard drive just fine. When I am connected to the Network the unit fails to play content off the hard drive properly.

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Has anyone worked out what all the network traffic it is creating is? Only solution I have found is to copy content to the aTV then disconnect it from the network it will then play things fine then. Only issue is it is going to count playing rentals out until Apple undoes whatever they borked.

fmh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Well another issue we may have overlooked and has nothing to do with Apple. The ISP may be blocking traffic. This wouldn't be the first time an ISP had blocked certain types of Internet Traffic.

My ISP is Time Warner.

pjtoadie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
My content from the Apple TV hard drive would not play properly when the network was on or off. The video was extremely jumpy and everything in general was lagging. I am assuming a lot of people are experiencing the same thing?

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Well another issue we may have overlooked and has nothing to do with Apple. The ISP may be blocking traffic. This wouldn't be the first time an ISP had blocked certain types of Internet Traffic.

My ISP is Time Warner.

Globally I think not........... ISP's in the same country have issues working together getting all of them to do it globally seems unlikely.

il-widna

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
Apple TV 1st Gen - Silver

Yep - I can confirm - Apple TV no longer accesses iTunes Store, and video playback of existing library extremely jumpy - basically not able to use it anymore. Very aggrevating as there was no heads up from Apple and really leaves a bad taste. Apple is really losing its way.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

My ISP is Time Warner.

i've never heard of ISP's blocking traffic
not in the USA

gcbright

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
Solution

I have three of the first gen apple TVs and the annoying part is all of them were slugish and not responding well to the remote.

The only fix I have found is to go into network settings and alter the router address and dns address to a different IP than the router.

Once I did that, my apple TV worked fine (and did not even require a reboot).

In short on my network the settings were 192.168.0.1 for the router and dns. I went into manual settings and made my router and dns 192.168.0.2 and now it works well.

Thanks

gcbright

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
Not quite

So you basically took the device off the logical network. Should've been the same as unplugging it.

I still have access to my local network resources, sync computer and streaming computers. What I did was block internet access. Once you block internet access, the stuttering goes away and the Apple TV works as normal.

Thanks

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
It looks like Apple has fixed the problem...

My first generation Apple TV seems to be back to normal and can access content from the iTunes store.

fmh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
i've never heard of ISP's blocking traffic
not in the USA

Look up Bit Torrent being block a couple of years ago which I believe was Comcast and going back about a decade or more VPN being blocked to home accounts. ISPs said back then home users didn't need VPN. It happens in the US. Media gets a hold of it and if you are lucky it stops.

----------

Last night I noticed that my Apple TV started working normally again while on the network. Right now I have content synced and not streamed but internet content seems to be working properly now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.