Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Just picked up my new 15 retina, quick question I bought it to start doing my own graphic designing which app or software would be best? I used to pay a friend with nice computer stuff to do it for me now my computer is insanely more powerful and I could save money doing it myself.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Just picked up my new 15 retina, quick question I bought it to start doing my own graphic designing which app or software would be best? I used to pay a friend with nice computer stuff to do it for me now my computer is insanely more powerful and I could save money doing it myself.

Adobe Photoshop is generally what graphic designers use. You can start with the more affordable Photoshop Elements. As for video, I prefer Final Cut Pro and iMovie 10 (for less intensive projects).

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
What do you mean specifically by Graphic Design?

Here is the Mac software that I really like after switching from PC

Photoshop - Pixelmator (great app, in some ways better than Photoshop and it costs 15 bucks)

Fireworks/UI - Sketch 3

Illustrator - iDraw

All of these will cost a few months of Photoshop CC. Good luck my friend!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
PS is the king of graphics software but now requires a subscription. The next popular item imo is Pixelmator. I use that for my light editing needs.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Hi,

As other posters have suggested, it very much depends on what you mean by 'graphic design' - it's a broad term. Will you designing books? web sites? business cards? posters? tweaking photos?

If you're serious, and have plenty of cash (and time to learn) then Adobe's Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) is what 99% of all professionals use. Or there are plenty of free - or at least cheaper - apps out there that may do a good enough job for your needs.

Also, remember that having a good computer and software doesn't necessarily make you a good graphic designer! ;-)

Good luck!

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Thanks for the replies! I have a website that I keep up with and I work with clothing design. My wife is a photographer and I'd like to get a program that could help us both out. Appreciate y'all's help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.