Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Many gripes:

1) it makes my new MBP run as sluggish as the 2008 MBP it replaced - even on a fresh install

2) you can only get the latest iLife / iWork if you upgrade to Mavericks (otherwise I'd stick with Mountain Lion)

3) the login screen/ calendar/ reminders/ notes etc are plain and ugly

4) you can't terminal a 2D dock

There are quite a few new features which I like, but they don't outweigh the disadvantages. IMO this is the sloppiest OSX yet.

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
Network reinitialization after wakeup from sleep under 10.9.2 seems very time consuming. I often get Safari displaying the "You are not connected to the Internet" page after wakeup - takes a few Cmd-R reloads of the page before it seems to reconnect.

Then again, I am on a MacPro1,1 so I guess I can't be too picky. ;)

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
When I have a window open in an app (let's say, Preview) and I minimize that window to the dock, I was accustomed being able to click on the dock icon to bring that window back up onto the screen.

It seems like I can sometimes, maybe most of the time, still get this behavior.

But when I first installed Mavericks, one of the first things I noticed was that sometimes clicking on a running app would not bring its windows springing back onto the screen. I chalked it up to an early version bug.

But I still encounter it, sporadically. Just often enough that I sort of feel like I don't have good control over my window management. I think it's actually changed the way I use OS X. I now find myself spending time trying to figuring out the identities of the windows, based on their tiny minimized icons, because of the spotty response of the app-click method.

----------

Network reinitialization after wakeup from sleep under 10.9.2 seems very time consuming. I often get Safari displaying the "You are not connected to the Internet" page after wakeup - takes a few Cmd-R reloads of the page before it seems to reconnect.

Then again, I am on a MacPro1,1 so I guess I can't be too picky. ;)

You can be picky. We get the same behaviors on our MBA, MBP retina and iMac.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Copy to mounted volume SLOW!

Copy to a mounted volume with GB Ethernet CAT5e is maxed at 60Mbps. Download from volume has not issue. I would get almost 800Mbps. This never used to be the case. 60Mbps write/upload speed is ridiculously embarrassing with AFP or even SMB on Mavericks.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Many gripes:

1) it makes my new MBP run as sluggish as the 2008 MBP it replaced - even on a fresh install

2) you can only get the latest iLife / iWork if you upgrade to Mavericks (otherwise I'd stick with Mountain Lion)

3) the login screen/ calendar/ reminders/ notes etc are plain and ugly

4) you can't terminal a 2D dock

There are quite a few new features which I like, but they don't outweigh the disadvantages. IMO this is the sloppiest OSX yet.
Can't help with #1-3, but you get a 2D dock here: Post number 136 for the download link to ver. 3.3 of cDock.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1657691/
Works great, and has many different docks to choose from (I love the transparent version).
Many thanks to wOlf, the developer for making this software and keeping it freeware. :cool:

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Can't help with #1-3, but you get a 2D dock here: Post number 136 for the download link to ver. 3.3 of cDock.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1657691/
Works great, and has many different docks to choose from (I love the transparent version).
Many thanks to wOlf, the developer for making this software and keeping it freeware. :cool:

I've looked at some of the dock mods - too cynical to install that stuff. I keep thinking Apple is going to release and update and things will go awry.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I've looked at some of the dock mods - too cynical to install that stuff. I keep thinking Apple is going to release and update and things will go awry.

I am always afraid to do any tinkering and then have the next update come along and all the tinkering I did raised issues with the update.

.X.

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2014
For some reason the screensaver rarely activates, despite having a time set.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
My mac is strangely fast these days, regardless of all the files and random apps I had to install on it due to some project I'm doing. This computer is a huge mystery to me!

OldGuyTom

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2013
US
If I had to bitch about OS X, it would be changes they've made starting in Lion and progressing to Mavericks.

One would be the Save option in files. I know it's brought back to some extent using Alt-S, but who the Hell thought that little change up? I've seen more people totally trash perfectly good files using the strange and bizarre export option in Lion. They should have never changed this.

Another thing is that Time Machine no longer indicates it's doing a backup by looking at the icon. If I want to shut my system down, it might be in mid backup, and who knows how good a backup that will be? It's like they're trying to inferiorize the OS. Take something that makes sense and eliminate it.

The menu bar display preferences icon is now gone. Why? Was it dazing and confusing people?

I also miss scroll bar controls, the lack of color icons in stuff like mail and the sidebar of preferences windows, and to be honest, the lack of color and 3D effects in the scroll bar.

As a side note, I really don't like iOS 7 at all. The next time I look at phones/PDAs I'm certainly going to look Androids. I saw Jon Ivey's video about his new "clean" design and all I can say is it looks retarded to me. Glaring white everywhere, icons that look like they were done by high school students, and functionality that seems archaic and confusing. Ivey might be a great hardware designer, but he ain't no OS interface designer.

Making radical changes to stuff just to change it, especially when users like it is probably a bad idea. Look how many people are still clinging to Windows XP.

energy23

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
The inability to hide the recent documents and servers opened in the recent items list. I only use recent items for applications, kind of like a start menu in windows.

If anyone knows how to make it functions like Lion, Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard, please let me know. Something like THIS:

recentitems2.jpg

Instead of everything lumped together like this atrocity:

recent_items_01-277430.jpg

macross18

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
Malaysia
Exposé/Mission control

This to me a $%#$%^@# failure.

I want to see ALL the files not just from one application when i hit the "Application Window" hot corner.
"Displays have separate spaces" doesn't work.

This is just frickin exasperating. Please bring back exposé.

Mission Control is a nightmare.

APPLE please goddam fix it. I need to see all the files from aperture, lightroom, photoshop, illustrator, bridge, indesign and even finder, not just one program.

joebingo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
The way they've neutered the labels system. So much harder to see if I've marked something a different colour.

Not had a problem with anything else though tbh.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
This to me a $%#$%^@# failure.

I want to see ALL the files not just from one application when i hit the "Application Window" hot corner.
"Displays have separate spaces" doesn't work.

This is just frickin exasperating. Please bring back exposé.

Mission Control is a nightmare.

APPLE please goddam fix it. I need to see all the files from aperture, lightroom, photoshop, illustrator, bridge, indesign and even finder, not just one program.

they basically just changed the name from expose to mission control..
set your hot corner to 'mission control' ..not 'application windows'..

that does what you want, right?

----------

The way they've neutered the labels system. So much harder to see if I've marked something a different colour.

Not had a problem with anything else though tbh.

heh.. partially blame me (i highly doubt i personally had anything to do with it but i have written apple twice in the past about labels not being too helpful for project organization).. their answer with 'tags' is better.. way better (imo)

also, for better or worse, you can assign colors to tags then multiple tags to files.. so you can have a file with blue,yellow,&red dots attached.. (better in my case-- but i understand some people may want to use labels simply as a means to make certain files visually pop off the screen.. i use all caps for folder names which i want see more readily but ymmv)

Last edited:

joebingo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
heh.. partially blame me (i highly doubt i personally had anything to do with it but i have written apple twice in the past about labels not being too helpful for project organization).. their answer with 'tags' is better.. way better (imo)

also, for better or worse, you can assign colors to tags then multiple tags to files.. so you can have a file with blue,yellow,&red dots attached.. (better in my case-- but i understand some people may want to use labels simply as a means to make certain files visually pop off the screen.. i use all caps for folder names which i want see more readily but ymmv)

Right! I'm holding you personally responsible for this! :p

Different workflows really. My job requires I have long lists of folders (5/6 created per day on average over a 2/3 month shooting schedule) but it's far far easier to keep them at root level on the drives for software purposes. We used to mark them green when dealt with, nothing when we hadn't touched them and red if there was a problem. Now that is quite difficult to work out.

Another good one for organisation is starting folder names with exclamation marks. Sticks it right at the top, though by the end of a project you end up with folder names like "!!!!!!!!!!! FINAL ASSEMBLIES.COPY.01_22052014_EXPORT"

Which is pretty :D

Last edited:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Which is pretty :D

ha.. that is pretty :)

have you tried tagging yet? all of your 'dealt withs etc' can be found very easily (sort of like a smart folder without the hassle)..

or, you can sort folders by tags in finder:

tags.jpg

idk, i'm kind of thinking if you were using labels as a means of project organization, set aside 15minutes or so to read about all the tagging options and you'll find them better/simpler/more powerful..

joebingo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
I can be a bit of a stick in he mud sometimes to be fair, and that does look pretty useful in that view :)

Weirdly, the finder version used by pro tools 10 still has the old system
Screen_Shot_2014_04_24_at_18_31_00.png

Edit: Just thought I'd clear up, all the installers are either legally downloaded or disk images I've made, just realised how that screenshot might look.

Last edited:

macross18

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
Malaysia
they basically just changed the name from expose to mission control..
set your hot corner to 'mission control' ..not 'application windows'..

that does what you want, right?

----------

No it doesn't. It just shows me all the files from one program.

I know it's called mission control now since ML or SL but APPLE is really trying it's luck by changing things
that don't need changing.

What happened to less is more? I think it has something to do with the founder buying the farm.

----------

People who work with multiple monitors and multiple programs like me want the old exposé version back because we like to pull pictures into different programs. For example photoshop to indesign, go into bridge, all by using the same corner.

Now this crap I'm sure is happening because of all the smaller 11-13"devices that don't have space to do squat. :mad:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
No it doesn't. It just shows me all the files from one program.

I know it's called mission control now since ML or SL but APPLE is really trying it's luck by changing things
that don't need changing.

What happened to less is more? I think it has something to do with the founder buying the farm.

----------

People who work with multiple monitors and multiple programs like me want the old exposé version back because we like to pull pictures into different programs. For example photoshop to indesign, go into bridge, all by using the same corner.

Now this crap I'm sure is happening because of all the smaller 11-13"devices that don't have space to do squat. :mad:

lol.. i don't know what to tell you then.. i've had my topLeft corner as expose since panther or tiger.. i know what you're talking about.

i now have my top left corner set to 'mission control' and it does the same thing.

i also know what 'application windows' does because i also use it alot too.. only i get that one from a keystroke.. control-down arrow

do this:
push control-down arrow

now do this:
push control- up arrow

are you saying that both of those are doing the same thing? they're both only showing you 'application windows'?

macross18

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
Malaysia
It only show files from one program that is open when there is like 3-5
For example
Finder
PS
AI
Br
Itunes.

Meaning if you have Finder highlighted, it will only show all the finder windows.
All the other programs disappear behind it.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
It only show files from one program that is open when there is like 3-5
For example
Finder
PS
AI
Br
Itunes.

Meaning if you have Finder highlighted, it will only show all the finder windows.
All the other programs disappear behind it.

are you even trying the stuff i said? did you change your hot corner from 'application windows' to 'mission control'?? did you try the control-up vs control-down keystrokes..

does this look like one application to you?
this is 'mission control' -- you're set to 'application windows'

miscont.png

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
the sandboxing is doing my head in, not so much in third party stuff but apps like mail where its turning simple applescripts to process attachments etc into a chore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.