Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chidorisai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Hello,

I am new to mac, and I have a general question. (10.9.2)

When I use mail or other application where you can have multiple windows, they all combine on the docks under the application icone.
I was wondering if like windows you can disable to combine\group the same windows ?

at the moment, I have to click right on the application to be able to seeall the mail I have already open etc....

Hope this is not too confusing ?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hello,

I am new to mac, and I have a general question. (10.9.2)

When I use mail or other application where you can have multiple windows, they all combine on the docks under the application icone.
I was wondering if like windows you can disable to combine\group the same windows ?

at the moment, I have to click right on the application to be able to seeall the mail I have already open etc....

Hope this is not too confusing ?

The options to change that are available by clicking :apple: --> System Preferences --> Dock...

chidorisai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for the response Unfortunately, I don't see any option which allow me to un-merge/un-combine windows of the same application.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Do you mean when the windows are not minimised?

If so it might be quicker to double tap with two fingers (not click) on the application icon using your trackpad, or if you have a magic mouse you can double tap with one finger (actually this might be with two fingers as well, I don't have my Magic Mouse on me at the moment). This will show all the windows on the current desktop from the application you tap on.

You can also use mission control, then on the grouped windows of an app you can do the spread gesture (trackpad) which will spread the windows out a bit so you can select the right one.

There is also CMD + ` which cycles through the windows for the selected application.

chidorisai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
thanks for the reply

and yes it was for no minimised, I will have to learn new habit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.