Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanco84

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
I got it

I got my 1 free gb of free data from Verizon today!!! Didn't even need to call, I just went onto their website and chatted with them under managing my account and asked about the promotion and they added it right then and there took all of about 5 minutes and all I did was refresh my screen and it was there!!!!

:D

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I'm on chat with Big Red right now to get my free 1gb. Will report back the results.

**EDIT** Successfully added. At first they mentioned "loyalty upgrade" with a 1 year contract extension, but I told them no, it shouldn't extend the contract (using OP's talking points). Response was "oh yeah, I see what you're talking about, DONE". Thanks OP! **END EDIT**

Last edited:

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
I just signed up for Verizon service yesterday (10GB shared plan) and was able to add the 1GB promotion to my account without issues.

Rep said that the promotion will be shown on my online account within 24hrs...

patt2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I just signed up for Verizon service yesterday (10GB shared plan) and was able to add the 1GB promotion to my account without issues.

Rep said that the promotion will be shown on my online account within 24hrs...

It actually shows up instantly but your data will be updated within few hours.

Just look on your phone in the APP (online ) will show up later.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
They gave us 2GB for two iPhone 6 purchases.

usage.JPG

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I just logged into my Verizon account and see the 1GB promotional data was added after I activated my iPhone 6. Don't see anything that shows the duration of the promotion though.

If it's a year I may just downgrade my data plan as I barely ever reach 1GB of my current 2GB plan.

Also make back that $30 upgrade charge!

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
They just gave.

Wow, I might have to call them back. I knew about the 1 GB data promotion when you get a new smartphone, but I was told that it would take 1-2 billing cycle before it will kick in. Looks like that's not really the case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Just spoke to Verizon, was told that this is a known issue (different story now). They said the system doesn't automatically update the promotion and they can't add it manually. Told me to check back in a week to see if this has been resolved. Verizon, We are good at making up stories.

update2: Spoke to Verizon again, this time was someone more knowledgeable. It turns out that this is a known issue. I was told that they are trying to fix this, but they simply can't make changes to you plan when you still have pre-orders in the system (which I think it's stupid). So from what I was told, it will eventually kick in. The rep I spoke to put in a request for me and told me to check back in about a week, haha back to where I started. Anyways, I think I'll leave this be for now. If you guys find out anything else do let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

anonymous82

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I also had additional 1GB for each line in my account after I upgraded to Iphone 6+. The promotion runs until the end of our contract, which is 2 years. It was automatically applied to my account.

Have been with Verizon for 2 years, since I switched from ATT when the IP5 came out. Never thought of coming back to ATT as they used to ask me to put down $500 deposit just to add another line to my family plan (no subsidized phone, just a sim card to use with my current phone).

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I also had additional 1GB for each line in my account after I upgraded to Iphone 6+. The promotion runs until the end of our contract, which is 2 years. It was automatically applied to my account.

Have been with Verizon for 2 years, since I switched from ATT when the IP5 came out. Never thought of coming back to ATT as they used to ask me to put down $500 deposit just to add another line to my family plan (no subsidized phone, just a sim card to use with my current phone).

Just curious did you activated the phone as per Verizon's activation instructions (i.e., go to the website, click on activation etc...)? Or did you simply swap the SIM card over? I didn't bother with their whole activation thing, I simply swapped over my SIM card, I hope that's not causing my issue. I can tell the activation is successful since I'm able to use the phone and the device under my number has switched to the new iPhone 6.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Got Verizon? get 1GB promo data for 1 year free

I'm getting the "known" issue BS that Verizon is spewing right now. Told me to call back in a week and that it would be backdated.

I have a feeling I'll be on the phone again in a week. What a mess.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I'm getting the "known" issue BS that Verizon is spewing right now. Told me to call back in a week and that it would be backdated.

I have a feeling I'll be on the phone again in a week.

You know what's worst, is that I have a huge family. So I still have 3 per-orders (soon to be 4 pre-orders) in the system. Because of that, I'm not allowed to make any change to my data plan until I activate those pre-orders (and we know they won't be coming for another month or two), which means if we go under/over on our data, I'll have to take a hit. The representative told me even they can't change it, I think that's just stupid. Whoever designed the system didn't think this through.....

Let me know how it goes when you do get it. I was thinking to call them again, but it's just takes so much effort to talk to them.

anonymous82

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Just curious did you activated the phone as per Verizon's activation instructions (i.e., go to the website, click on activation etc...)? Or did you simply swap the SIM card over? I didn't bother with their whole activation thing, I simply swapped over my SIM card, I hope that's not causing my issue. I can tell the activation is successful since I'm able to use the phone and the device under my number has switched to the new iPhone 6.

Nope. Just got my phone from Apple store, went home and turned it on. Did not have to go to Verizon website and do anything. The phone came with new sim card. So I assumed once i turned the phone on, it activated the new sim.

I think the whole activation thing is more for people with new line added to their account or new customer. If you're current then you could either use your current sim card or use the one came with the new phone. Hope that help.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Nope. Just got my phone from Apple store, went home and turned it on. Did not have to go to Verizon website and do anything. The phone came with new sim card. So I assumed once i turned the phone on, it activated the new sim.

I think the whole activation thing is more for people with new line added to their account or new customer. If you're current then you could either use your current sim card or use the one came with the new phone. Hope that help.

Thanks, I wonder if the SIM card swap would have caused the issue. I think thats he only thing that we done differently.

Update: I put back the SIM that came with the new iPhone, called Verizon and activated that SIM card. Still didn't work.

Last edited:

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Check out my post here.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1792782/

Did any of you upgrade your plan after activating the phones?

That can cause the issue of not getting the promo. Pretty stupid in my opinion. They should be able to see that you just bought a phone and add the promo.

No, I have called many times and Verizon just can't seem to get their story correct. I was told several stories such as: a) we can't give you the promotion because you still have pre-oroder in the system, b) if you didn't upgrade the phone on the same line or did EDGE we can't give you the promotion, c) it will take until the next billing for it to kick in.

Story a. and c. was disproved when one of my member on my plan activated their iPhone 6 and we received the 1GB promotion right away.

Story b. was disproved because it clearly stated on the confirmation email from Verizon that I will be able to receive the 1 GB promotional data.

Now I know several things 1. Verizon reps has no idea what they are talking about, they simply will make up stories to try to get rid of you. 2. They never read the notes taking by the previous rep.

I'm at the point where I might just give up on try to get my promotional data. In the end it's not so much the data that I really cared about, it's the principle of things.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
I'm at the point where I might just give up on try to get my promotional data. In the end it's not so much the data that I really cared about, it's the principle of things.

Don't give up. I finally got ours. Had to call back a few times. I just kept saying I was following up. The last person I got said the request to have it fixed was rejected. But then went on to say it was submitted incorrectly and she was able to submit it again. I was very clear that I wanted to make sure we received 1 GB per activated phone. She made very clear notes on the account and read them back to me. Within a few days I checked the account and everything was as it should be.
I was able to sign up for only 1GB for $40/mo and with the added 2GB, it is much cheaper. Would have been spending $60/mo. Also complained to them a number of times that all the calls were inconvenient and got a $10 inconvenience credit applied to the bill. Icing on the cake.
So keep at it. They will get it straight.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Don't give up. I finally got ours. Had to call back a few times. I just kept saying I was following up. The last person I got said the request to have it fixed was rejected. But then went on to say it was submitted incorrectly and she was able to submit it again. I was very clear that I wanted to make sure we received 1 GB per activated phone. She made very clear notes on the account and read them back to me. Within a few days I checked the account and everything was as it should be.
I was able to sign up for only 1GB for $40/mo and with the added 2GB, it is much cheaper. Would have been spending $60/mo. Also complained to them a number of times that all the calls were inconvenient and got a $10 inconvenience credit applied to the bill. Icing on the cake.

Thanks for the input, unfortunately being the sucker that I am, I did call back a few times after that. I think I wanted the promotional data more on principle than actually needing the data. I have called a total of six times by now. The very last time, I called I was told that it was in the system and they know about the issue and they are still fixing it (BS...). I was told to wait until my next billing cycle (I call this BS as well). Annoying was it was, but since it was early in the morning and I wasn't in the mood to get angry, plus I was only about a week away from my next billing cycle, so I figure I would go ahead a wait.

I'm three days away from my next billing cycle, so I'll be calling them back sometime this week and see what's up with the promotional data. The funny thing is, I've just received/activated another iPhone 6 last week and right away I got my promotional data from that line.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Thanks for the input, unfortunately being the sucker that I am, I did call back a few times after that. I think I wanted the promotional data more on principle than actually needing the data. I have called a total of six times by now. The very last time, I called I was told that it was in the system and they know about the issue and they are still fixing it (BS...). I was told to wait until my next billing cycle (I call this BS as well). Annoying was it was, but since it was early in the morning and I wasn't in the mood to get angry, plus I was only about a week away from my next billing cycle, so I figure I would go ahead a wait.

I'm three days away from my next billing cycle, so I'll be calling them back sometime this week and see what's up with the promotional data. The funny thing is, I've just received/activated another iPhone 6 last week and right away I got my promotional data from that line.

Any luck?

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Any luck?

Nope, called again and was told the same story and to give them another week to "process". Was told that this is a known problem, and they are trying to fix it. I call it BS, because if it's a known problem it should be fairly easy for them to authorize and add the missing data to people's plan yet it's taking them forever just to fix the problem. Also, since this is a special offer which has already ended, it's not as if they need to find any kind of permanent solution, any stopgap measure will do just fine.

Anyways since then, I have added two more iPhone 6 plus, so they now owe me a total of 4 GB/month. I should get follow up phone call from them tomorrow so I'll see if I can get anything resolve. Will come back to update.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I got around to calling again last night and was told the same thing.... They are aware of an issue and are working to fix it. The guy said he submitted mine to the "appropriate department" and that based on everything he saw, I was definitely eligible. Then said to give them 10 days to correct this issue. We shall see.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Any luck?

I got around to calling again last night and was told the same thing.... They are aware of an issue and are working to fix it. The guy said he submitted mine to the "appropriate department" and that based on everything he saw, I was definitely eligible. Then said to give them 10 days to correct this issue. We shall see.

Just thought I would give a quick update in case anybody else is still having the same problem. So as of yesterday 10/30 I finally got 4 out of the 5 GB that I was suppose to get. I'm not really sure what the waiting period is any anymore or if there is a waiting period at all. I activated my first line on the 9/19 and got my last line activated just last Wednesday 9/23. It seems like they really just have to flip a switch, but they are told not to do it without some kind of approval from much higher up. Hence the delay.

Yea I'd say, call once a week just to check up on the status until it shows up.

patt2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
They gave us 2GB for two iPhone 6 purchases.

View attachment 494590

Check my new thread and get another 1GB promo for 2 billing cycles, more data is always welcomed!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1818386/

I just logged into my Verizon account and see the 1GB promotional data was added after I activated my iPhone 6. Don't see anything that shows the duration of the promotion though.

If it's a year I may just downgrade my data plan as I barely ever reach 1GB of my current 2GB plan.

Also make back that $30 upgrade charge!

Check my reply above get yourself another 1GB free.

Just thought I would give a quick update in case anybody else is still having the same problem. So as of yesterday 10/30 I finally got 4 out of the 5 GB that I was suppose to get. I'm not really sure what the waiting period is any anymore or if there is a waiting period at all. I activated my first line on the 9/19 and got my last line activated just last Wednesday 9/23. It seems like they really just have to flip a switch, but they are told not to do it without some kind of approval from much higher up. Hence the delay.

Yea I'd say, call once a week just to check up on the status until it shows up.

Check my post above get yourself another 1GB free for 2 cycles.

Works with the promo data you already have.

Check my post above another 1GB free for 2 billing cycles.

Takes 2-3 minutes no need to call them.

I got my 1 free gb of free data from Verizon today!!! Didn't even need to call, I just went onto their website and chatted with them under managing my account and asked about the promotion and they added it right then and there took all of about 5 minutes and all I did was refresh my screen and it was there!!!!

:D

Score another GIG free look at the link above in QUOTE.

My brother only has 2 GB of data which I feel bad, I also have account adminstrator privilages on my account, you think I could call Verizon and see if they will bump my brothers line to 3 GB of data from 2 GB? I been a Verizon customer for a long time now (over a decade) so

Look at my quotes above get him extra 1GB for 2 billing cycles,it's always something.

Then call back few hours later and ask for 1GB data for 1 year free, so you might be able to score 2gigs for free.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Just called, waited about 15 minutes, basically mentioned hearing about the promotion, the agent said he'll check to see if I qualified (not sure how much qualification there really is), said that I do (based on being with VZW for a long time and having a good payment history, but, again, not sure how much that really plays into it), and applied the promotion (set to expire a year from today).

He also mentioned that you can basically call every once in a while and check to see if there are promotions that might exist that would apply to your account and that could be added. Not sure if every agent would be as quick/forward to really check on all that and give you all the promotions that are applicable, but supposedly you can ask when you call in every once in a while.

Thanks again for the details about all of this. It's not a huge thing, but certainly helps given that the new "more" plans don't really help out as far as more data or better pricing those who are with 4 GB or more of shared data.

My brother only has 2 GB of data which I feel bad, I also have account adminstrator privilages on my account, you think I could call Verizon and see if they will bump my brothers line to 3 GB of data from 2 GB? I been a Verizon customer for a long time now (over a decade) so

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.