Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
Man that sucks, I did hear stories of people having issues with the kitkat update. Sounds horrible. I'm still on 4.3 with Verizon and it's still as buttery smooth as the day I got it.

U seem to be lucky pal.

I was truly amazed with note 3.....until the lag issues and battery drainage drove me nuts.

Must give apple full marks to have hardware and software so well fine tuned, that the experience is Mind blowing.

----------

i was in the same boat as you. tried all kinds of smartphones - treo, blackjack, blackberry, motorola q, nexus, samsung. once i got hold of an iPhone - i never looked back.

East or west...yo iPhone is the best :D

----------

Many including myself had nothing but lag issues with the note 3 especially after the kitkat update. Sold it for a HTC m8 now and my gosh this phone is fast , and so clean. No junk hardly in the software. Way better experience.

Htc sense ui is much more optimised than touchwiz

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I feel like the people who say their stock Samsung device doesn't have any lag just don't notice it or don't care. I used a stock S5 and it lagged the very first time I used it, just opening the app tray.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I feel like the people who say their stock Samsung device doesn't have any lag just don't notice it or don't care. I used a stock S5 and it lagged the very first time I used it, just opening the app tray.

The trick with Android is to either turn off animations or decrease them to .5 in Developer options.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
I agree. I keep coming back to the iPhone regardless even after trying the best on the market (most recently HTC One M8). Android will never be able to match the iOS feeling and that is simply what I prefer.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I'm glad I stumbled on to this post. I just tried the galaxy s5 and I couldn't believe the lag it had. I talked to a guy at best buy and he thought I was nuts. I guess he never had a iPhone 5s.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I wholeheartedly agree with this thread.

The OVERALL experience of iPhone just can't be beat. Don't get me wrong, Android has TONS of customization and features. BUT the overall experience is just blah...

I had the GS5 for like 3-4 days, and I was instantly reminded of why I leave Android each time I give it a try.

I was making compromises from the moment I powered that phone on.

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS for Apple and the iPhone!!!

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Many including myself had nothing but lag issues with the note 3 especially after the kitkat update. Sold it for a HTC m8 now and my gosh this phone is fast , and so clean. No junk hardly in the software. Way better experience.

Don't say many. Just say only yourself. I have no lag issues with note3.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Welcome back to the buttery smooth world of iphone. Playing clash of clans is much better on the iphone's small screen because on a note 3, even it's larger, the delay in touch responsiveness is making me crazy.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
People who say Android does not lag simply haven't used an iPhone or don't know what lag is.

The other day I was checking out the new Son Xperia Z2 tablet, the design is fantastic (except for the thick bezels), the hardware is top notch, the moment the guy starts using it... LAG! And that's a brand new, top of the line device.

Due to the nature of Android, it'll most likely always lag, it's emulated and not native code.

But it has a ton of features and some people might still prefer to sacrifice the smoothness for those features. If Android was as smooth and responsive as iOS and had the bounce-back feature... it would be unstoppable.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
People who say Android does not lag simply haven't used an iPhone or don't know what lag is.

The other day I was checking out the new Son Xperia Z2 tablet, the design is fantastic (except for the thick bezels), the hardware is top notch, the moment the guy starts using it... LAG! And that's a brand new, top of the line device.

Due to the nature of Android, it'll most likely always lag, it's emulated and not native code.

But it has a ton of features and some people might still prefer to sacrifice the smoothness for those features. If Android was as smooth as iOS and had the bounce-back feature... it would be unstoppable.

Yes. I love android because it enables me to download torrent and play emulator. But for mobile games, nothing can beat the iphone and ipad.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I bought a HTC one M8 and six hours later sold my 5S. Fast as and couldn't go below a 5" screen now:)

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I tell people (even though they are few these days) have never had a smartphone to start on Android.

Because if you start on iPhone, you'll never want to try anything else, and you'll be like us, who every so often give Android a try and then laugh at how foolish we were.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Android does run native code. Since it involves a Dalvik Virtual Machine (which google is slowly phasing out in favor of a much better Android Run Time) interpretation, it tends to be slower at times. Java is traditionally less performance oriented but more portable compared to C and its cousins, so there you have it.

Also android as an OS and its apps both work as activities divided for even separate views, meaning poorly coded apps and skins by OEMs which cause the OS to run too many activities than needed or too much redraw which stains the system.

Seems like ART could make this better as i get both performance and battery life improvements that i can actually see on my google edition device. ART compiles all system and user apps before they are prepared to run for the first time, than the just in time interpretation/compilation of Dalvik.

Now the tech stuff aside, there are equally amazing looking and functioning apps on play store as well, and any gap that exists can be leveraged by a smart developer if one wants. Also as someone who used iPhone 3GS -> 4 -> 5 as daily drivers alongside part time android devices for a fun spin, i actually feel pretty much settled with my current android devices including a new Nexus 7 tablet. May be it is smartphone exhaustion, but 99% of what i want can be done on my GE GS4 or iPhone 5S equally well, i don't bother with themes or flashing ROMs or jailbreaking, and i am finding android dev as not too hard as everyone says as i am planning to fill some of the apps gap myself.

The 5 inch screen may bother me at times but it does not make me want to go through a phone swap. Unless this guy breaks there is no reason to waste $$$, and if it does, i will probably buy a nexus or the newest HTC device next time as i sort of like some flexibility in my work flow.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Don't say many. Just say only yourself. I have no lag issues with note3.

MANY...MANY.....Look at the Android forums and you will see MANY having issues. Root it and put another piece of software on it may fix it, but it also ruins your warranty with the knox. I now have a HTC M8 that blows it away.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I don't really care about lag as long as it's not excessive and I think the current gen of flagship Android devices is fine. Problem is the apps just aren't up to ios quality. Clear lack of refinement pretty much across the board. Android really is for tinkerers and it's a great OS for that. But for people who want to use the functionality in apps as opposed to customize stuff, ios wins.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I don't really care about lag as long as it's not excessive and I think the current gen of flagship Android devices is fine. Problem is the apps just aren't up to ios quality. Clear lack of refinement pretty much across the board. Android really is for tinkerers and it's a great OS for that. But for people who want to use the functionality in apps as opposed to customize stuff, ios wins.

Agreed. Every time i bought android phones, the most enjoyable thing was rooting and tinkering with custom roms and tweaks. After i found the best, i get bored, bought another android phone and it repeats. With iphone, i enjoy using the apps and the phone.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I think what happens is certain android apps just destroy the performance of android and there's no good way to stop that from happening. Apple's app restrictions maybe keep that from happening?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.