Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
However as said before, currently when I run Apple SW update from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 will NOT detect any update for my current BootCamp 3.0.4, so I do NOT know where to find a Mac based update to update Mac BootCamp to 3.1 (as said before, the Bootcamp updates that I can get through Apple update center appear to be ONLY for the windows system as they all are .exe files).

Where I can get a Mac bootcamp update?

There is no Boot Camp Assistant 3.1. The latest Snow Leopard version is 3.0.4. Just run the Boot Camp Assistant that you have in Snow Leopard and it will allow you to create the partition for Windows and begin the installation. Once the installation is complete, you can then either download the 3.1 files mentioned above from Windows or run Apple Software Update from within Boot Camp Windows to update to the latest Boot Camp drivers.

I realize it's a little confusing with the naming.

puffo25

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
earth :-)
Hi, OK, I did the installation BUT I think did NOT worked out!:-(

First I have formatted mac osx SSD 1TB with OSX and installed Snow Leopard. I run it and it was fine.

Than I run BootCamp 3.0.4 from Snow Leopard. I could NOT download any driver for the Mac, how come (???), and so I skip this and went directly into the installation on Windows 7 (second option in BootCamp): so I have inserted the master Windows 7 DVD and BootCamp took me to the formatting option. I gave 500Gb to OSX and 500GB to Windows.

Than I could NOT format on the bootcamp partition Windows 7 because it requires NTFS formatting. So I choose within Bootcamp to format the Bootcamp partition and it did!

Than I was able to install Windows 7 without any problem...

However here are some problems after the installation:

1. it appears that Bootcamp is NOT installed! In fact I do have now 2 partitions HD, one with OSX and one with Win. However I could NOT find the bootcamp icon on Windows 7 (unless I am blind)?.

2. Also when I am under Mac Snow Leopard, on the start-up HD I can only see the internal Mac OSX (no icon for bootcamp).

3. The sizes of the hard discs are different. Originally I had 1TB. Than I have made the 2 partitions using Bootcamp but in reality, Bootcamp was showing more partitions and in fact now I have MUCH HD space. How come? Where it went?

I am lost:-(

So now to play either OSX I use the -alt- function at start up and this works...
But it is just a workaround!

Also from Mac OSX update it will still NOT download any new update for Bootcamp or for the Mac. And also from Windows I can update Windows 7, BUT I am NOT sure that I am getting also the drivers for my Mac (i.e. to run the iSight camera within Windows....) and so on....

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
1. it appears that Bootcamp is NOT installed! In fact I do have now 2 partitions HD, one with OSX and one with Win. However I could NOT find the bootcamp icon on Windows 7 (unless I am blind)?.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you can choose and boot into Windows by holding ALT at startup, Windows is indeed installed. When you choose the Macintosh HD in Disk Utility and click on the Partitions tab, do you see two partitions, Macintosh HD and Bootcamp?

2. Also when I am under Mac Snow Leopard, on the start-up HD I can only see the internal Mac OSX (no icon for bootcamp).

Do you have an NTFS driver installed in OS X like Tuxera? In Windows, in the Bootcamp Control Panel can you see OS X as a boot option? Try changing the default to Windows from there and then reboot and set it back then check again in OS X.

3. The sizes of the hard discs are different. Originally I had 1TB. Than I have made the 2 partitions using Bootcamp but in reality, Bootcamp was showing more partitions and in fact now I have MUCH HD space. How come? Where it went?

Again, check the partitions tab in Disk Utility as mentioned above. Are you saying there is more than one Windows partition? You should have two partitions (OS X and Windows) and no free space.

Also from Mac OSX update it will still NOT download any new update for Bootcamp or for the Mac. And also from Windows I can update Windows 7, BUT I am NOT sure that I am getting also the drivers for my Mac (i.e. to run the iSight camera within Windows....) and so on....

As I mentioned before, you can download the Bootcamp 3.10 files from this link in Windows. Once you run that it will install the Bootcamp Control Panel as well as all the drivers for your iSight, Magic Mouse, video card, etc.

puffo25

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Dear SaSaSushi,

thanks once again to help me sorting out my issue. I do appreciate a lot your time! Below, in capital letters my replies to you....

I'm not sure what you mean. If you can choose and boot into Windows by holding ALT at startup, Windows is indeed installed. When you choose the Macintosh HD in Disk Utility and click on the Partitions tab, do you see two partitions, Macintosh HD and Bootcamp?
YES, I KNOW WINDOWS 7 IS INSTALLED. I KNEW THIS ALREADY:)

Do you have an NTFS driver installed in OS X like Tuxera? In Windows, in the Bootcamp Control Panel can you see OS X as a boot option? Try changing the default to Windows from there and then reboot and set it back then check again in OS X.
I DO NOT HAVE SUCH UTILITY INSTALLED ON THE MAC YET. I WILL DO IT TONIGHT AND LET YOU KNOW.... HOWEVER I MUST SAY THAT AS TODAY, UNDER THE MAC CONTROL PANEL, IN THE START-UP DISC, I ONLY SEE 1 HD, WHICH IS THE MAC OSX...

Again, check the partitions tab in Disk Utility as mentioned above. Are you saying there is more than one Windows partition? You should have two partitions (OS X and Windows) and no free space.

As I mentioned before, you can download the Bootcamp 3.10 files from this link in Windows. Once you run that it will install the Bootcamp Control Panel as well as all the drivers for your iSight, Magic Mouse, video card, etc.
WHEN I RUN BOOTCAMP 3.1 .EXE UPDATE IN WINDOWS 7, NOTHING HAPPENS....:-(

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
WHEN I RUN BOOTCAMP 3.1 .EXE UPDATE IN WINDOWS 7, NOTHING HAPPENS....:-(

I'm not in Windows right now so I can't check this, but it may just be a self-executable zip file, meaning that it extracts its contents to a folder when you run it. Is there a new folder in the directory you're running it in after you double-click it? Go into that folder and look for an exe file.

The only way nothing would happen is if the file you've downloaded is somehow corrupted and even then you should see some sort of error message.

Also, there's no reason to shout, I'm trying to help.:)

Last edited:

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'm not in Windows right now so I can't check this, but it may just be a self-executable zip file, meaning that it extracts its contents to a folder when you run it.

The file you linked to is a Boot Camp installer that updates 3.0 to 3.1.
If he doesn't have 3.0 installed then the program exits with an error.

It sounds like he needs his original SL installation disc in order to get 3.0 before anything else.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
The file you linked to is a Boot Camp installer that updates 3.0 to 3.1.
If he doesn't have 3.0 installed then the program exits with an error.

It sounds like he needs his original SL installation disc in order to get 3.0 before anything else.

Thanks very much for the correction. :)

As you mentioned, he should install BC from the SL DVD that and then run the patch to update it to 3.1.

puffo25

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Hi, I think I have finally being able to do all. Thanks everyone for the support, specially SaSaSushi!

What I was NOT doing until now was to install from Snow Leopard the boot cam drivers! Now I did.

I see the bootcamp option now under Windows 7.

Only 1 last question: when I start the Mac, it always starts as OSX (unless I specify this on the Windows boot before).

I am wondering if I have always to use the ALT command in Mac OSX to choose from which partition to start (in case I want to go to PC).

Also from the Mac control panel I do NOT see in the startup disc the PC bootcamp partition (I do have installed NTFS control panel on Mac). Is it normal to now see the windows?

Any way to make a dual boot under Mac as well?
Andrea
ps: happy Easter everyone!:)

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I am wondering if I have always to use the ALT command in Mac OSX to choose from which partition to start (in case I want to go to PC).

Also from the Mac control panel I do NOT see in the startup disc the PC bootcamp partition (I do have installed NTFS control panel on Mac). Is it normal to now see the windows?

Any way to make a dual boot under Mac as well?
Andrea
ps: happy Easter everyone!:)

3 ways

in OSX, go to system preferences and select startup disk

in Windows, click on the boot camp icon in the notification toolbar (grey diamond) and again choose your startup disk

and as you've found out, holding down alt/option before restarting the machine works, too

puffo25

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply, yes, I know already those 3 methods.

However I am wondering if it is normal that:

1. under Mac OSX in the startup disc control panel I see ONLY the Mac partition HD?

2. Under Mac OSX I cannot start-up the Windows partition unless I start the Mac using the ALT key. Is it normal?

Andrea

3 ways

in OSX, go to system preferences and select startup disk

in Windows, click on the boot camp icon in the notification toolbar (grey diamond) and again choose your startup disk

and as you've found out, holding down alt/option before restarting the machine works, too

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010

1. under Mac OSX in the startup disc control panel I see ONLY the Mac partition HD?

2. Under Mac OSX I cannot start-up the Windows partition unless I start the Mac using the ALT key. Is it normal?

Andrea

no and no

1&2 are related, if you can't see Win in the startup settings in syspref, how do you expect to boot Win without using the alt restart method

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Andrea

This is weird.
I just installed Windows 7 onto a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro.
The Air shows the Windows drive in SysPref but the MacBook Pro doesn't.
:confused:
The Pro does however show the Bootcamp drive on the desktop (I have it set to show all drives on the desktop.)
I followed the same procedure with each.
Wonder what happened.

puffo25

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
jenzjen, I am confused! So there is something wrong with my bootcamp or my Mac OSX settings that do not see the Windows partition in the startup disc (I only see it mounted on the desktop however)?

Indeed I can start the Mac/PC using the ALT command and get the dual-boot option.

Howver I do not understand why in the Mac Snow Leopard settings, under the Mac start-up control menu disc, I see only the Mac 10.6.8 and I do not see the PC/Win partition as well? (But I do see both partitions under the bootcamp control panel in Win).

Maybe I need also a dedicated bootcamp control panel also on the Mac side (I do not see it). ? or I need to install a different NTFS control panel?

Thanks to explain me this in plain English.
Andrea

no and no

1&2 are related, if you can't see Win in the startup settings in syspref, how do you expect to boot Win without using the alt restart method

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
You don't need to install anything else, it should just be there under start up disk in the system preferences. Up to you, you can try clean reinstalling your OSs or live with it as is

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Howver I do not understand why in the Mac Snow Leopard settings, under the Mac start-up control menu disc, I see only the Mac 10.6.8 and I do not see the PC/Win partition as well? (But I do see both partitions under the bootcamp control panel in Win).

Andrea,

Do you by any chance have Paragon NTFS installed?
That was my problem.
As soon as I turned off Paragon NTFS and then rebooted, my PC/Win partition showed up in the Startup menu.

puffo25

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Gjwilly, you are a master!!!! Many thanks! I have disabled paragon and now I see the Windows partition in the Mac control panel on Mac too.

Happy Easter to everyone
Andrea

Andrea,

That was my problem.
As soon as I turned off Paragon NTFS and then rebooted, my PC/Win partition showed up in the Startup menu.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Gjwilly, you are a master!!!! Many thanks! I have disabled paragon and now I see the Windows partition in the Mac control panel on Mac too.

Happy Easter to everyone
Andrea

I'm happy to hear that you finally got it sorted.

For the record, I did tell you to check if you had any NTFS drivers installed in post #28 above. :p

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Andrea,

That was my problem.

Paragon NTFS for Mac has always been like this. You don't need to turn the driver off. When you want to start from the Bootcamp partition you set it as the start up disk from the NTFS Pref pane instead of the Start Up disk pref pane. Its in the manual.

Samurobai3000

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2016
win8.uefi02.jpg

I had a similar issue and it was actually pretty easy to solve it. (I have Windows 8.1)

1. Insert your windows installation disk.
2. go to "fix your pc".
3. go to "Advanced options".
4. click on "Automatic Repair".
5. when the computer reboots, hold down the option key.
6. you should now see the windows disk.
7. boot from the disk and you should get into windows.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.