Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
That's what everyone is saying. There's no option to put widgets on

This is really annoying, loved to have widgets on the lockscreen of my previous S4, and now on my G2.

Good that I don't like the S5, if I would have bought one and discovered this, that would leave me kinda upset.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is really annoying, loved to have widgets on the lockscreen of my previous S4, and now on my G2.

Good that I don't like the S5, if I would have bought one and discovered this, that would leave me kinda upset.

Well they removed it on the note 12.2 so guessing they will do the same with all future Samsung devices.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ugh, that's nuts. Why would they do that? Something to do with security maybe?

Maybe something to do with 4.4? But if that was the case you wouldn't get lockscreen widgets with 4.4 on updated devices.

Guessing Samsung just want you to use fingerprint scanner as much as possible

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That's what everyone is saying. There's no option to put widgets on

----------

Looks great to me

I get between 4-5 hours screen time, 1+ day total of my note 3

----------

What brightness do you have it set to?

Brightness is set to auto :)

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Maybe something to do with 4.4? But if that was the case you wouldn't get lockscreen widgets with 4.4 on updated devices.

Guessing Samsung just want you to use fingerprint scanner as much as possible

It has definitely nothing to do with 4.4, because my G2 is running 4.4, and I can set any widget I want.

It must be because of security or the fingerprint scanner as you said.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Very surprised Samsung have gotten rid of lockscreen widgets.

I loved it for cbs sports scoreboard

I also use nils lockscreen notifications on my note 3.whuch is great so now likely on the note 4 it will be the same as there will be noway to get notifications on the lockscreen

I think you can get lockscreen widgets only if you have slide unlock. If you have any sort of security, they are disabled.

----------

Just installed it and wow does it make a huge difference. A big gaping performance lapse is now fixed.

Glance and go information is important to me, and Glance helps a ton. Big thanks.

You're welcome!

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Samsung got rid of lockscreen widgets regardless of swipe or security enabled for some stupid reason. They also disabled notifications on the lockscreen (ie no way to pull down the notifications center) which was present on my nexus for sure. Returned the device.

The only things you get access to is camera and weather and time.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Very detailed comparison between 2. Except for ultimate speed, Samsung got everything covered. I am going to check some more about video shooting before getting it. Auto focusing during video is actually very good. Is it possible to tap anywhere on screen while recording for manual focus like Canon 70D (focus pulling sort of thing)? According to this comparison, it's speakers are loud enough but bad.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5_vs_htc_one_m8-review-1067.php

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Samsung got rid of lockscreen widgets regardless of swipe or security enabled for some stupid reason. They also disabled notifications on the lockscreen (ie no way to pull down the notifications center) which was present on my nexus for sure. Returned the device.

The only things you get access to is camera and weather and time.

You can still pull down the notifications. Seen it on YouTube reviews.

Interested what happens when you get a text. Where does it appear

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
You can still pull down the notifications. Seen it on YouTube reviews.

Interested what happens when you get a text. Where does it appear

Sorry, I meant with security enabled for the notifications center issue. Older samsung phones had access to this with the option to turn it off.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sorry to be a pain

Can UK users Check the play store to see if espn ScoreCenter is still in the play store on. The s5 ? As it has disappeared from the store on my note 12.2

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You went for the m8 then Mac?

Yeah, quick refresh (full story in other thread)

Last Monday was taking out nano sim in a micro sim adapter to put in my 1520 from my GPE S4 and I broke the pins on the S4 sim reader tray (adapter caught them).

So took it into town to be repaired (still waiting) and whilst I was in there they had a M8 for sale for €529

Asked if he'd be interested in trading my S4 once repaired and they said no, but they would offer me discount if I took the M8.

I cautiously said how much discount, and they said they would give me the M8 (and repair my S4) for €350!!!!

What could I do but go for it :D

So yeah. Ended up with an M8, though I'm still waiting for an unlock code from O2 Ireland (o2 have requested it from HTC and will send it to me when they have it)...

When you consider the S5 was going to be €250 on a new 24 month contract, €350 for both the M8 and my S4 repaired was a bargain...

----------

Yeah it's there on my note 3. Wasn't sure if it was a new device thing

Maybe a tablet thing. Perhaps they are going to launch a tablet version.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Last Monday was taking out nano sim in a micro sim adapter to put in my 1520 from my GPE S4 and I broke the pins on the S4 sim reader tray (adapter caught them).

So took it into town to be repaired (still waiting) and whilst I was in there they had a M8 for sale for €529

Asked if he'd be interested in trading my S4 once repaired and they said no, but they would offer me discount if I took the M8.

I cautiously said how much discount, and they said they would give me the M8 (and repair my S4) for €350!!!!

So yeah. Ended up with an M8, though I'm still waiting for an unlock code from O2 Ireland (o2 have requested it from HTC and will send it to me when they have it)...

When you consider the S5 was going to be €250 on a new 24 month contract, €350 for both the M8 and my S4 repaired was a bargain...

----------

Maybe a tablet thing. Perhaps they are going to launch a tablet version.

Ha that sounds like fate to me mac.. It was written

Well the app is still on the note 8.0 though. Dunno weird. Least it's still on yours.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Here is my list of S5 complaints, does anyone know how to fix these?

-Default weather app widget must have GPS on in order to work, will not work with even WIFI (minus GPS being turned on).
-Blocking Mode still allowed LED to flash when a notification is received. What's the point of blocking mode if the LED still flashes when I can turn the volume and vibration off?
- Annoying messages that tell you to make sure charging port door is securely closed every time I unplug my phone and the one that tells me to make sure the back of the phone is securely secured when I turn my phone off/on or restart it.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Here is my list of S5 complaints, does anyone know how to fix these?

-Default weather app widget must have GPS on in order to work, will not work with even WIFI (minus GPS being turned on).
-Blocking Mode still allowed LED to flash when a notification is received. What's the point of blocking mode if the LED still flashes when I can turn the volume and vibration off?
- Annoying messages that tell you to make sure charging port door is securely closed every time I unplug my phone and the one that tells me to make sure the back of the phone is securely secured when I turn my phone off/on or restart it.

So if I understand correctly, the weather widget won't work without GPS turned on all the time after being initially set up to show the weather of your location?

On my SGS3 once set up the location I can turn off GPS.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Hah, that's a sick bargain. Even with my frontal logo OCD condition I would not have been able to resist that. ;)

Man what's up with all these stories of people getting discounts on phones though....that never, ever, ever happens in Sweden. Ever. :(

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hah, that's a sick bargain. Even with my frontal logo OCD condition I would not have been able to resist that. ;)

Man what's up with all these stories of people getting discounts on phones though....that never, ever, ever happens in Sweden. Ever. :(

Must be that Irish charm

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Must be that Irish charm

Sadly, I don't think 'Irish charm' works within Ireland except on the tourists .... :D.

----------

Yeah but my Galaxy S4 won't be fixed till Wednesday next so it's not the complete bargain of the century ;)

Actually I was told it would be ready Yesterday but when I went in to collect it, it wasn't...
So they promised me Wednesday and as an apology told me they were getting flip cases for the m8 in next week and they'll look after me :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.