Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
instead of the cool black color that was on the 5.. you guys know what I'm talking about? I liked the black 5.. Doesn't bother me as I have a case on my 5s but I think my next iPhone might be a white one rather than black iPhones.. white looks so clean

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
instead of the cool black color that was on the 5.. you guys know what I'm talking about? I liked the black 5.. Doesn't bother me as I have a case on my 5s but I think my next iPhone might be a white one rather than black iPhones.. white looks so clean

scuffgate

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
The black anodization on the iPhone 5 seems to be susceptible to scratches. I think that's why Apple changed to gray… fewer warranty claims and unhappy customers.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I never thought much of it because I skipped right from the 4s to the 5s, but I recently bought a brand new(sealed) black iPhone 5 off of CL for my dad and I have to admit it does look very nice.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Its because of ScuffGate. The issue was the way the iPhone 5 was anodized black on the back and sides (iPad mini, iPod touch and nano included, although the iPhone 5 had it the worst). The anodizing would rub off over time leaving the "bare" (aka, anodized, but with no color like the MBPs and silver iPhone) aluminum to shine through. I have seen this happen in person. After it happens the phone looks cheap.

I like the space gray, but it looks lighter on the iPhone then the other devices. It could be the fact it has the black glass accenting and antenna breaks, I don't know. But it looks better on the iPad and iPod touch/nano.

Also, all the colors this year look silver in the right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) light, gold included. In different light, gold looks gold, silver - silver, and space gray, well, gray.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ahhhh. Now you've done it!

The hordes of Space Gray 5s owners that blindly and obstinately consider their phones to be black will soon descend on this thread.

In their eyes gray is black so Apple still makes a black iPhone. Because you know, that's what everyone calls it.

/sarcasm

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In their eyes gray is black so Apple still makes a black iPhone. Because you know, that's what everyone calls it.
Bezel's still black (this is actually the reason I opted for Space Gray instead of Gold). Besides, easier to type just black rather than Space Gray. I haven't met anyone who doesn't understand "black iPhone" and yet I feel there are a lot of owners of Space Gray iPhone 5s's who don't even know that Apple calls it Space Gray. Personally, I'd like to see it in gunmetal gray. :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Bezel's still black (this is actually the reason I opted for Space Gray instead of Gold). Besides, easier to type just black rather than Space Gray. I haven't met anyone who doesn't understand "black iPhone" and yet I feel there are a lot of owners of Space Gray iPhone 5s's who don't even know that Apple calls it Space Gray. Personally, I'd like to see it in gunmetal gray. :p
LOL. No offense, but you have just confirmed what I posted.

Yes, the bezel in front is black. But the sides, top and bottom are not. The iPhone 5 (in Black/Slate Gray) also has the black bezels, but both the sides, top and bottom are black. The only place the iPhone 5 (Black/Slate Gray) is NOT black is the actual metal back. And even then the Slate Gray of the back is darker than the Space Gray back of the 5s.

As someone here once remarked, the black bezels make the Space Gray iPhone black in the same way that the tires on your car make your car black.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
Well, I actually prefer the Space Gray to the black. The details just got completely lost with the Slate and I find the contrast very nice.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
There is no and has never been a black iphone. A black iphone would be one complete shade of black. So the sides and everything would be the same black as the front glass.

For anyone who said the iphone 5 is fully black. It's not. Neither is the space gray 5S.

Has never been a black iphone. The closest was the 5. Period

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
There is no and has never been a black iphone. A black iphone would be one complete shade of black. So the sides and everything would be the same black as the front glass.

For anyone who said the iphone 5 is fully black. It's not. Neither is the space gray 5S.

Well, the 3G/S was black, so there definitely has been a black iPhone!

I think it's pointless arguing over the semantics of what makes the phone 'black'. Compared to the other two, which the front of the phones are white, it's perfectly understandable and, arguably, more logical to call Space Grey phones black.

Gosh, who knew a name of a colour could cause such a furore!

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010

I think it's pointless arguing over the semantics of what makes the phone 'black'. Compared to the other two, which the front of the phones are white, it's perfectly understandable and, arguably, more logical to call Space Grey phones black.

According to the logic of some members here. The 3GS and 3G were not black. It had a silver bezel.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011

Thank you for replying to this guy... Every time I see something like that posted I just imagine pro-Apple hipster type person posting trying to "correct" everyone on the face of the earth for calling it something it's "technically" not.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA

I think you can definitely call the 4/4s black...even though it had the silver frame around the side but a majority of it was black.

If you think that means it isn't black because it had the silver frame around it...think about if I wear a solid blue Nike shirt but it had a white Nike logo on the front. My shirt is still blue-isn't it.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I think you can definitely call the 4/4s black...even though it had the silver frame around the side but a majority of it was black.

If you think that means it isn't black because it had the silver frame around it...think about if I wear a solid blue Nike shirt but it had a white Nike logo on the front. My shirt is still blue-isn't it.

Nope, you would have a WHITE Nike logo.. so your shirt wouldn't be "blue" it would be both white and blue. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.