Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you using Office for iPad?

• I don't have Office for iPad installed (select if you downloaded but subsequently deleted).

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • I have it installed but have not paid for a subscription.

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • I have it installed and I had an Office subscription previously.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I got an Office subscription because of Office for iPad.

Votes: 12 16.9%

• Total voters

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Just wondering if people are using Office for iPad. I didn't see a poll, so I thought I'll put one up. Any thoughts you have on Office, please feel free to post comments.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I am greatly against software rental but after kicking the tires on Office for iPad, experienced frustration with other apps attempting to fill in the gap, and the realization that for $65 a year I could have Office installed on every device in my house, I had to make an exception.

iPad apps like "AnyFont" help to make Office docs created on other devices appear identical on an iPad.

For producing documents to be published, I still rely on OSX Pages.

But I'll see how Microsoft handles the new version of Office for Mac and overall their commitment to obtaining feature parity across platforms.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
Can't say that I would unless it was 365 university ($80 for 4 years).

$99 a year for a single user is dog$#%! :(

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Yes. Office is the best productivity set on the App Store!

----------

I am greatly against software rental but after kicking the tires on Office for iPad, experienced frustration with other apps attempting to fill in the gap, and the realization that for $65 a year I could have Office installed on every device in my house, I had to make an exception.

iPad apps like "AnyFont" help to make Office docs created on other devices appear identical on an iPad.

For producing documents to be published, I still rely on OSX Pages.

But I'll see how Microsoft handles the new version of Office for Mac and overall their commitment to obtaining feature parity across platforms.

Do you use OneNote? I have just tried and am thinking of dropping notability for it. I'm confident that Microsoft will update the Mac version.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes. Office is the best productivity set on the App Store!

----------

Do you use OneNote? I have just tried and am thinking of dropping notability for it. I'm confident that Microsoft will update the Mac version.
I'm a big fan of nvalt (notational velocity fork) and have much of my notes in plain text stored in DropBox for cross-platform capabilities... But I've warmed up to OneNote. I really like the layout but Microsoft has flubbed it with the lack of inking in both the OSX and iOS version. I managed to get a free copy of Outline+ for iOS which is actually a better OneNote than OneNote.

I'm currently converting my plain text notes to OneNote as I need to edit them. I have great hopes for OneNote... But I'm painfully aware of how many times Microsoft has disappointed me. :)

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
iWork does everything I need so no need to pay $100 a year to use something I only use once and while.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm a big fan of nvalt (notational velocity fork) and have much of my notes in plain text stored in DropBox for cross-platform capabilities... But I've warmed up to OneNote. I really like the layout but Microsoft has flubbed it with the lack of inking in both the OSX and iOS version. I managed to get a free copy of Outline+ for iOS which is actually a better OneNote than OneNote.

I'm currently converting my plain text notes to OneNote as I need to edit them. I have great hopes for OneNote... But I'm painfully aware of how many times Microsoft has disappointed me. :)

Nicely put. I hope they are settling into their new roles as a cross-platfrom software company (not just Windows OS maker) and just focus on making top quality software products with parity on all platforms instead of heavily biasing Windows, but Apple does the same handicapping with iTunes for Windows I suppose.....

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Without Office I may as well be armless. And now finally (most of) its awesomeness is on the iPad.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
This.. I work on document few times (resumes/cover letter) that was it. Thank God, iWork has an option to save PDF format without any mess up. :apple:

You can also save email the doc in a Word format so really it's very multifunctional.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have it and because of the power/flexibility of Office I did get a subscription. After weighing the pros and cons of a subscription based model I found that I'm getting value for my money and opted for the subscription.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have been using Office for years and was happy to see it come to the iPad. I did subscribe to Microsoft Office 365 when it started and ran with it a few months hoping that an iPad version would come out. When the iPad versions were announced I reinstated my membership and I have to say that I am glad that I did. Although I was getting by just fine with the iWorks apps, and I feel that they are really great apps. Unfortunately, not all the work I do can be done in iWork because my employer uses Windows computers that have MS Office on it, so for me the Office 365 subscription is needed. I no longer have compatibility issues with spreadsheets. When I showed my superiors that we can now open documents without issue on the iPad they were so impressed that they are considering buying several hundred iPads so that they can be used in the field.

For me, I've been using Excel for years as well as Word. I do prefer Pages over Word, but again I work in an Office environment so that compatibility has to be there and Office for iPad and Excel work flawlessly. Overall I am more familiar using Office than iWork so it's nice to have the applications I am more familiar with on the iPad. Don't get me wrong I do like iWork and will probably continue to use that more for my personal life, but for my professional life, the Office 365 subscription is worth the $99 I pay for the year. With the ability to load it on to all my devices which include an iMac, MacBook Pro, Windows 7 laptop, iPad, and iPad mini and have them all with the latest versions of Office is cheaper and well worth the price.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
No it doesn't work that way. I created resume with Pages then attached with email sent to my teacher who have Office for Windows, the formats are a mess. :apple:

Yes it does. When you email the doc from the iPad it will give you an option to send as word doc pages doc PDF or an ePub. I know this because I have done it before. It's very easy. And the person on the other end opened it in office no problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 124

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
No it doesn't work that way. I created resume with Pages then attached with email sent to my teacher who have Office for Windows, the formats are a mess. :apple:

Yes it does. When you email the doc from the iPad it will give you an option to send as word doc pages doc PDF or an ePub. I know this because I have done it before. It's very easy. And the person on the other end opened it in office no problem.

The results will vary based on what formatting elements you used in your document. For instance, if you used a font that the other person's computer doesn't have, then you might end up with a messy document.

TerryReis

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
The time it has taken MS to bring this out gave me the opportunity to work with Pages and Numbers until they are now fully integrated in to my work flow. I have been most impressed how I have been able recreate all our DP in pages (previously InDesign).
Currently changing our database system from Access to Filemaker.

Goodbye PC's, Windows etc.
Hello Macs, OSX and iPads for everyone at my company.

Cheers,

Terry

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I got a subscription, but not just for the iPad. We have four copies of Office installed in our home, so that plus the iPad apps makes it a good deal to me.

The sub really only makes sense if you take full advantage of it and install/use multiple copies.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I got a subscription, but not just for the iPad. We have four copies of Office installed in our home, so that plus the iPad apps makes it a good deal to me.

The sub really only makes sense if you take full advantage of it and install/use multiple copies.

I did the same, although I'll wind up using all 5 copies. Even with MS products, there can be compatibility issues, but it's unfortunately the path of least resistance.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
iWork does everything I need so no need to pay $100 a year to use something I only use once and while.

This applies to me as well. Furthermore, out of iWork I only really use Pages, and even that is rare.

I did use Numbers to track the budget when planning our wedding last year.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
The results will vary based on what formatting elements you used in your document. For instance, if you used a font that the other person's computer doesn't have, then you might end up with a messy document.

Yup thats correct and I think the best to use Time Roman font for all documents. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.