Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I recently switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. After I paid off my last bill and ETF, they unlocked an iPhone for me that was previously used on AT&T (via their online site). It says you can unlock up to 5 phones per year.

My question is: If I buy a used iPhone off ebay or craigslist that is locked to AT&T and then submit the unlock request (while again checking the box as a former subscriber), will AT&T unlock the phone for me even though I never personally used the phone on their network via my own account? Has anyone attempted this in my same situation? Thanks!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As per the AT&T website:

Former customers are allowed a total of five device unlocks per former account.

I just put a request in to unlock an iPhone 5 I recently purchased off of craigslist. It hasn't been rejected, but I also haven't received the confirmation email.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
As per the AT&T website:

I just put a request in to unlock an iPhone 5 I recently purchased off of craigslist. It hasn't been rejected, but I also haven't received the confirmation email.

Thanks, please report back either way!

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
That's not going to work assuming the original owner is still under contract. That contract (not yours) must be fulfilled before they will unlock it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Thanks, please report back either way!

I just received my unlock confirmation email. I'm away from home, but I'll restore it when I'm back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 103

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
If the phone is no longer under contract they will unlock it. If someone does not have att account use someone else's att account or buy unlock for $20. For under contract iPhones unlock is $50-$100 and harder to unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.