Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Smashing affair, truly.

Wheel to wheel racing, strategy, tactics and emotion.

Good stuff!

A bit worried that the nose contributed to the flip, might we see a change there?

Couple more races like this and people will forget about the lack of engine noise.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Wow! What a race! How on earth did Hamilton stay in front on the harder tyres after the SC? Feel a bit sorry for Nico, but great the team are letting them race.
Lots of overtaking further down the field to. Well done Force India. On a shoestring compared to others on the grid, but still got a podium. How he must have wished the front two would take each other out.

----------

Smashing affair, truly.

Wheel to wheel racing, strategy, tactics and emotion.

Good stuff!

A bit worried that the nose contributed to the flip, might we see a change there?

Couple more races like this and people will forget about the lack of engine noise.

The flip was scary to watch, but he got out and walked off like he had just had a small shunt on the way to work!

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Was a great race grace to watch! even though it started and ended at the same time as the Liverpool game! I had the football on the telly and f1 on the
iPad.

I really like the sound of this years cars and don't really mind that 1 team are dominating it. They are both good drivers and they allowed to race! Plus Hamilton is just keeping out another German driver! so good to hear our national anthem instead of theirs!

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
One of the best races I have watched for a long time.

The critics can't complain about the new format of racing anymore, it was edge of the seat racing for 57 laps!

Just a shame both Williams cars could not get past the Red Bulls in time to round out the Mercedes blitzkrieg!

Shanghai here we come! :D

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Just a shame both Williams cars could not get past the Red Bulls in time to round out the Mercedes blitzkrieg!
Weren't they far ahead of the Red Bulls prior to the safety car coming out? As I recall Vettel was stuck in something like 10th place before that. It screwed over a bunch of people. I'd bet that if Hamilton/Rosberg weren't so far ahead they wouldn't have brought out the safety car and only went with a local yellow.

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
The Williams were suffering because of their tyre choice towards the end. The Red Bulls had fresher stuff on I believe.

Anyway, if the rest of the races are like this it is all good for the sport. :)

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The Williams were suffering because of their tyre choice towards the end. The Red Bulls had fresher stuff on I believe.

Anyway, if the rest of the races are like this it is all good for the sport. :)

we could use a different team winning… even if it is vetted/red bull…

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Finally able to watch last weekends BBC recap. Loved seeing Nico and Lewis go at it. And force India too. Team orders should always be race it out.

Do wish the rest of the field was in it to win. But have to enjoy Lewis dominating too.

iHackPro

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
DFW, TX
Mercedes domination so far. Right now, WCW and WDC are theirs to lose. It's scary how far ahead they pulled away after the Safety Care, if they hadn't been battling each other, they would've pulled even farther away, they still had pace left in them.

But, the racing was excellent throughout the race, Bahrain has been the best race of the season so far.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
They ran away as it was, battling each other.

Interesting seeing the fuel numbers and they don't seem anywhere close to having to conserve

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hamilton is king of qualifying again. Red Bulls looked closer, but as it wasn't dry it's hard to say if they have made up ground. Either way looking forward to tomorrows race.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 22.27.01.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 22.27.01.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 73

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
What happened to Maldonado?

Never got a run out due to technical issues.

Anyway another great result for Mercedes. Hamilton just dominated from start to finish. A poor start from Nico made him have to work hard for his second place.
Good to see Alonso back on the podium, but what ever happened to Kimi? This was going to be the season when it was going to see Alonso verses Kimi and it just hasn't happened yet.
Of course if Vettel had followed team orders, Alonso would have been beaten by Ricardo. His tough luck comment won't have one him any fans, but great to see him down in fifth. I hope his team mate continues to outshine him all year long. The team have missed out on points because of him today, and he just doesn't get it because he isn't a team player.
Felt sorry for Massa at the first pit stop. How hard is it to get the right tyre on the right wheel?

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Never got a run out due to technical issues.

Anyway another great result for Mercedes. Hamilton just dominated from start to finish. A poor start from Nico made him have to work hard for his second place.
Good to see Alonso back on the podium, but what ever happened to Kimi? This was going to be the season when it was going to see Alonso verses Kimi and it just hasn't happened yet.
Of course if Vettel had followed team orders, Alonso would have been beaten by Ricardo. His tough luck comment won't have one him any fans, but great to see him down in fifth. I hope his team mate continues to outshine him all year long. The team have missed out on points because of him today, and he just doesn't get it because he isn't a team player.
Felt sorry for Massa at the first pit stop. How hard is it to get the right tyre on the right wheel?

this is the past three seasons with a silver car winning… happy for lewis, but same song different verse.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Looking at how Vettel dominated last year and the way Hamilton is dominating this year really shows how much is down to the cars. Obviously you have to be a very good driver to survive out there, but winning the title is more about the car and the team and less about the driver.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looking at how Vettel dominated last year and the way Hamilton is dominating this year really shows how much is down to the cars. Obviously you have to be a very good driver to survive out there, but winning the title is more about the car and the team and less about the driver.

But hasn't that always been the case? Do you think Mansell was a better driver than Senna when he won the title? No he just had a better car.
What is better this year is you have two drivers competing in the best car. The last few years at RBR there was a number one driver and a number two.
And who can't enjoy seeing Vettel being out performed by his team mate?

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
But hasn't that always been the case? Do you think Mansell was a better driver than Senna when he won the title? No he just had a better car.
What is better this year is you have two drivers competing in the best car. The last few years at RBR there was a number one driver and a number two.
And who can't enjoy seeing Vettel being out performed by his team mate?

well, if by competing you mean no one has openly told nico to back off, yeah, i guess so.

but we will see. i'm not completely disagreed with you.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
So, I've watched both the BBC coverage and NBCSN's this year.

Frankly, I'm not seeing much of a difference - well, aside from the lack of adverts on the BBC, but that's not live either, so...

Overall, the commentary (and that's really the only difference, as they both use the world feed) is fine on both sides. I've seen the BBC team miss a few things that the SPEED^h^h^h^h^h NBCSN caught, and vice versa. Usually they both catch the important stuff more or less in the same timeframe.

That's actually pretty remarkable, I think.

I'll continue to watch the BBC coverage, it's nice to get another viewpoint, but again, it's not really all that different.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Today is the 20th anniversary of the death Ayrton Senna, one of the greatest drivers to have driven a grand prix car.

Twenty years on and no answer as to the cause of his crash and I doubt another twenty years will make any difference.

Does anybody remember where they were when they heard Senna had been killed? I watched the race and spent the rest of the day hoping for good news but at 9pm on Sunday 1st May 1994 the dreadful news came through.

Also a time to remember Roland Ratzenberger who was killed 20 years ago yesterday and never got a chance to show his talent in F1. RIP to both, never to be forgotten :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.