Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
I have a new 2014 Mac Pro with a 2.7 Ghz 12 core processor, dual D500 graphics cards, 1TB internal drive and 64gig ram. I’ve an Apple 27” Thunderbolt display and a Wacom 24” Cintiq. I'm running the latest version of Photoshop and always keep all my software and drivers up to date.

Before this I used a 2012 MacPro also with 64 gig of Ram and dual 6 core processors.

With my new setup, I’m having various problems with Photoshop. The first problem is that I sometimes have to restart computer because trying to load my first Photoshop file of the day just results in the forever beach ball. When I restart the MacPro it loads the file fine and so do any other files from then on.

BUT the main problem - which I NEVER had with my ‘older’ MacPro - is this - I’m working away drawing in Photoshop on the Cintig, move my mouse across to the Apple display and select some music to play in iTunes while I’m working. THEN, moving back to the Cintiq and Photoshop using the stylus again, there is nearly always a delay of up to 15 seconds before I get control of Photoshop again. This is weird. It’s not like I haven’t got enough ram or power!!

Anyone got any ideas?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
It could be a driver issue. Have you reinstalled the Wacom drivers?

The driver could be crapping out which requires you to reboot everyday before being able to open files.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
I have installed the latest Wacom driver - no improvement, but I'll try installing it again. What is strange is that I had no problem with my 'old' Mac Pro - same software, OS and drivers - only change is the actual computer.

----------

Also run Onyx to clear out any old caches etc.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Create a new profile on your current setup and see if you still have the same issue using the new test profile. If you do not get the error, something is corrupt in your profile. If you do, one of your installs is corrupt.

To continue testing, if you have a spare external drive try a clean install of the OS, Wacom drivers and Adobe CS. Boot from the external and test Photoshop for the lag. If you do not get the error something is corrupt with your OS or your CS install.

If you do get the error booting from the external it is a hardware issue with your nMac Pro.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Create another user account and try your process while running under the new user account. Sometimes a user account can get corrupted. At least if this works it does indicated there's an issue with your primary user account and this put you one more step toward solving the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.