Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Where do you backup?

• I Don't Backup

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I Just Backup Locally To A TC/Other

Votes: 37 40.7%
  • I Do 2 Backups Locally To A TC/Other

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • I Do A Local Backup and 1 Off Site

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I Backup Off Site

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other (Please specify in a post)

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
I use my internal, optibay'd 640GB hard drive for TM backups on my mbp. SSD as main drive.

I'm just too lazy to get another external drive for backups.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
1 Local time machine (time capsule)

5 external hard drives duplicate data

Crash plan : laptops and external drives -> crashplan cloudserver
Crash plan : valuable files -> my server onsite
Crash plan : valuable files -> my server offsite
Crash plan : valuable files -> other laptops on the network

Mortis360

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2013
Norway
I backup to my Time Capsule locally every day, and once a month I do a updated offsite-backup on a external harddrive that is on the family cottage almost four hours away from home.

Mr Pink57

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
a van down by the river
Two off site backups and 1 local backup. My best friend works for Code42 (Crashplan) so I got a free Crashplan Enterprise account. I have put my entire family on this account and everyone is backed up to it while I administer the account.

The local is a network drive connected to a Tomato router, my gf and I are backed up to. The NAS has our media on it which is also backed up to Crashplan off-site.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have a 2TB WD drive that I do Time Machine backups to. Any super-important (work) files are also on Dropbox or Google Drive.

Each member of our family also has all photos stored locally on their laptop, so photos are also safe.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I have a Mac with a 256GB internal SSD and two external drives (one for iTunes and one for photography).

I have a 3 prong backup solution:

1. Time machine for my startup disk
2. Online backup with Backblaze for all my drives
3. Once a month I backup all my drives to standard internal hard drives via a USB Drive toaster (such as http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Docking-Station-ASMedia-Chipset/dp/B003UI62AG/). I then store these drives at my rented storage facility which it temperature controlled.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
All my personal files sync to my Dropbox, but I also have a local NAS that I do a dump to every month or two.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
I've once lost a considerable amount of data, so I know to backup my stuff, but I suppose my solution is maybe a tad excessive:
- Full time machine backup on it's own dedicated external HDD
- Copies of all of my files on my NAS drive (separate from the external HDD)
- Copies of all of the important documents on a USB thumb drive I carry with me
- Dropbox account with all the important files (thinking about getting an F-Secure Younited account after Condoleezza Rice joined the Dropbox board of directors)
- Random backups of important data here and there

Used to have a full disc clone that I updated once a week, but I concluded it was beyond overkill with the time machine and other backups.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
All my files are backed up to my google drive and an external hard drive.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I just use Time Machine to backup my MacBook Air locally.

Occasionally I do a double backup to another drive at another location.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I manually back most things up to an external firewire HDD.

Not very sophisticated I know, we really need to set up some kind of networked storage for the house.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I use my internal, optibay'd 640GB hard drive for TM backups on my mbp. SSD as main drive.

I'm just too lazy to get another external drive for backups.

If it is lost, stolen, dies in a fire, or some malware trashes your drives what will you do to get your data back? An internal backup is marginally useful.

Justinhub2003

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Cincinnati Oh
Oh Man. I have about 14 External Hard drives that I keep my backups on.

Some are pictures only, some are time machines. Some are music and Movies only.

Then I also have a Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb SSD in a USB 3.0 Enclosure that is a direct clone of my 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Once a month or every other month, I use carbon copy cloner to back up to that drive.

I then also pay for 100Gb of Dropbox storage and am grandfather in Google's old storage plans (5$ a year for 25Gb plus 15GB free then email storage) of which backup certain apps, pics and documents.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I use tar to create a .tgz file of my important folders, then I encrypt it with an OpenSSL script I wrote. I'll copy the file to an external hard drive I keep offline, then upload a copy to Google Drive. Every few months I delete the oldest copy off Google Drive to save some space. That way I always have a local and offsite copy and both are safe from theft/prying eyes. I've only needed a backup once and the system worked well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.