Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Oh here comes the posts of "Apple purposely did this to make people upgrade to the newest Apple TV".

Oh, here come the people saying "here come the people saying".

Duh. It makes sense that people would post things that relate to the post. Sheesh.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Two pages and 45 comments of people arguing "Conspiracy" and "It Just Works" and a bunch of other "they need to fix this, call code red" "who's cares if this is easter sunday, this is BS" but so far no one has commented that they have been affected:rolleyes:

Maybe I should dust off my first generation Apple TV from the closet and plug it in just so that i can complain that its not working, maybe then this thread will get back on topic instead of all these "A series of controlled events that force users to buy or upgrade to their newest products"

Let's not forget the 'it doesn't affect me so everybody quit whining" posts. Humanity at its finest.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Still works fine with the Remote app and local audio...

I was surprised to read about this, as I have been using my first generation Apple TV with no problems (including last night and this morning). The catch is that I almost always control it with the Remote app on my iPhone. That still works smoothly. However, when I tried controlling it with the IR remote, I experienced the terrible lag that folks are describing. I wasn't even able to play a movie from my Mac's iTunes library. It started playing the sound, but the screen remained black and soon the ATV reset itself.

My first gen ATV is ideal for playing music because it has two features that have been dropped from the ATV2 and ATV3: local storage (so I don't need to turn on a computer to play music) and analog audio outputs (so I can feed my receiver's analog Zone 2 input to play music through my patio speakers).

Almost all receivers with a Zone 2 amp still require an analog input, so it's a real nuisance to have to connect a separate digital-optical to analog converter to handle that need with an ATV3. I'm also not sure if I would still be able to control the volume remotely with that setup.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Oh God, shut up about this. Almost every one of your posts seems to be looking forward to the next Apple outage, just so you can make some dumb, unhelpful, sarcastic comment.

It's a 7-year old device, and the outage is likely to be purely accidental after some under-the-hood update. It's not a conspiracy, and it's not planned. And it'll be fixed soon enough.

Why some of you people even joined is behind me.

Wow, someone needs to get a sense of humour! Why be so defensive?!

trekleader

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
Not just first generation

My current gen AppleTV has not been able to connect to iTunes for several days.

Perhaps this is related to the new Apple TV apple is releasing?....

macs4nw

macrumors 601
A total misquote and the reason why the down one button needs to come back

1. Apple neve said their stuff is issue proof, especially using that phrase

2. You are talking about a nearly full seven year old device, running ages old software. Time to move on from it and stop expecting it to act like it should be running just as well as when it was new.

Right on, and pretty well what I replied to two other posters, a few days ago.
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19009244&posted=1#post19009244
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19008788&posted=1#post19008788

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I get the feeling it went like this:

____

Dear Apple,

I would like to have access to iTunes Extras content on the current gen Apple TV and iPad since I've noticed I have access these iTunes Extras on my first gen Apple TV.

Thanks,
User

____

Dear User,

We have removed the ability to access iTunes on first gen Apple TV, as per your request.

-:apple:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
The iTunes Store is a goldmine for Apple. $$$$$$

Why would anyone think Apple would purposely shut down an older device which encouraged users to purchase content from the iTunes Store? :confused:

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
This is the problem with any device that requires an online server to work. Once it's old enough, support gets dropped, broken, or disabled. You're stuck. 7 years old isn't bad in computer years. Good thing a new one is only $99 (hopefully it have newer one around the corner).

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I have an Apple TV of each generation. They all have their uses. The first generation is the only one that works with one of my televisions (no Available HDMI). I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't get fixed.

richardk32

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
UCNJ
Upgrade or not upgrade

Apple, the only thing stopping me from upgrading is the lack of a storage option on the newer appleTVs. Why should I have to keep my Mac on to listen to my music or watch my movies? Why should someone else on that Mac have to deal with stutters and stalls because I'm streaming content? You have a USB port, enable it and watch your 1st gen usage fall off the charts.

EmbraceNext

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2007
I have one of these still hooked up to a TV. I have to agree with Apple on this. It is 7 years old. Time to move on. The sales stopped almost 4 years ago. If your TV doesn't support HDMI, then get an adapter or new TV.

Yeti Jones

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
I, too, have an Apple TV gen 1 that's been affected. While I don't believe this is some sort of conspiracy to force users to upgrade, I find it strange that Apple has made no comment on the issue. Why is that? The problem has been going on since at least April 17, well before the Easter holiday. Apple has to be aware that content sales and rentals have fallen off because of this.

georgevargas

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
Apple TV 1st generation Steptember 2010

The Apple TV 1st generation was manufactured through September 2010 meaning that they were still available to purchase through retailers and Apple as of October 2010 and that does not include the refurbs available through the Apple Store well after October 2010. That means that many ATV1 units were bought brand new out of the box that are now 3.5 years old and maybe even newer than that as opposed to 7 years old or 10 years old as some are reporting.

$299 is a lot of money for some people and the $399 spent on the 160GB is even more for an item that 3.5 years later is not working properly through no fault of the user of breakdown of the unit. $99, $299, and $399 may be months or years of savings for some people to buy a luxury item for themselves or as a gift. While some of you may have that much money to toss around on an hourly basis it is not for the preverbal you to determine how others should spend their money and tell them to go buy a new one. Consider that some may have to buy a new TV or component or interface to have the HDMI of newer ATV units connect to their preexisting rig which now makes the $99 anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousands when none of their equipment is malfunctioning, as opposed to disabled.

The bigger issue is that Apple did not notify the ATV1 community, if this was intentional, or responded in any way if this was unintentional. It seems that Macuser.com, iClarified and Macrumors.com are the only ones speaking about this issue over the Easter weekend because Apple sure hasn't.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
2. You are talking about a nearly full seven year old device, running ages old software. Time to move on from it and stop expecting it to act like it should be running just as well as when it was new.

It's completely idiotic to support the idea that it's normal to suddenly throw away a device fully working a few days ago.

In your superficial society everyone should have only new stuff and people should shame each other based on how new their stuff is :D

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Hmm.. Phone 4 users losing FaceTime ability and now this? Seems more than just a coincidence...?

If Apple did cut of these users they should have absolutely given prior warning. Thats what other companies would do.

It's iOS 6 users, not iPhone 4 users.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Shows Apple are doing work on backend, there's no conspiracy here.

It's good news that Apple are improving the service rather than just accepting the status quo as the best they can do.

If people are still using Apple TV one I suggest an upgrade anyway I'm sure it was standard def anyway. Worth the upgrade alone.

Graig

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Actually I have never tried connecting to iTunes Store. I put in my password and clicked submit, It asked if I wanted iTunes to remember it. Whats supposed to happen after that? Do I need iTunes running on my computer as in sharing music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.