Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swampthing

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Or so I've been told by Apple Care. Apparently no one can find a way to buy the 1TB SSD model unless you had it built to order on Apple's website.

Now it stands to reason that part is available separately in some fashion, because if your SSD dies for whatever reason, possibly through a Genius in a store, but Apple isn't going to throw out a $4000 Mac Pro computer and will obviously just replace the SSD. They got to be able to replace the part somehow...

And the "add on" price when building out a Mac Pro is only $800 additional dollars for the 1TB piece. I'm willing to pay that price at this point...

I've got the 256GB, and want the 1TB. The Apple Care reps and the Apple website "chat" both say it is "impossible" to buy separately and you have to buy from a third party.

Tried checking Amazon and eBay as well. Seems that I can't find a 1TB PCIe based flash drive anywhere. I asked Apple Care and the Apple website chat folks for a a model number of a comparable product... they could not offer any. Well, they DID, but they were SATA SSDs... lol

Any suggestions how to get one of these pieces? Can I convince a Genius Bar rep to order one for me?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
It's probably just a supply and demand thing ....

I imagine the 1TB PCIe SSD for these things is just in tight supply right now, so Apple isn't about to start selling it as a separate component yet -- when it's holding back ability to sell custom built Mac Pros that need one in them.

You can currently find the 512GB version of it on eBay auctions quite readily, at prices as low as $360 or so in some cases (and as high as $599 or so in other auctions).

Or so I've been told by Apple Care. Apparently no one can find a way to buy the 1TB SSD model unless you had it built to order on Apple's website.

Now it stands to reason that part is available separately in some fashion, because if your SSD dies for whatever reason, possibly through a Genius in a store, but Apple isn't going to throw out a $4000 Mac Pro computer and will obviously just replace the SSD. They got to be able to replace the part somehow...

And the "add on" price when building out a Mac Pro is only $800 additional dollars for the 1TB piece. I'm willing to pay that price at this point...

I've got the 256GB, and want the 1TB. The Apple Care reps and the Apple website "chat" both say it is "impossible" to buy separately and you have to buy from a third party.

Tried checking Amazon and eBay as well. Seems that I can't find a 1TB PCIe based flash drive anywhere. I asked Apple Care and the Apple website chat folks for a a model number of a comparable product... they could not offer any. Well, they DID, but they were SATA SSDs... lol

Any suggestions how to get one of these pieces? Can I convince a Genius Bar rep to order one for me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.