Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookWhooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Philippines
Hi,

I recently tried out iCloud Keychain and I must say it is awesome. Although I can't recall if I used an iCloud security code or just used my Mac's login password. Now when I checked out the Settings of my phone then went to the settings of Safari, there is a way there for me to see my iCloud passwords right? Well, the problem is that I can see them without any iCloud security code prompt or a password prompt. I can just see my passwords in as easy as just tapping my phone.

Another thing, can I use the iCloud Keychain on Google Chrome for OS X and for the iPhone? How about third-party apps?

Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi,

I recently tried out iCloud Keychain and I must say it is awesome. Although I can't recall if I used an iCloud security code or just used my Mac's login password. Now when I checked out the Settings of my phone then went to the settings of Safari, there is a way there for me to see my iCloud passwords right? Well, the problem is that I can see them without any iCloud security code prompt or a password prompt. I can just see my passwords in as easy as just tapping my phone.

Another thing, can I use the iCloud Keychain on Google Chrome for OS X and for the iPhone? How about third-party apps?

Thanks.

iCloud Keychain will work for any application that uses the Keychain. Google Chrome uses its own password syncing service through your Google account if you have one hooked up.

I just took a look at Settings on my phone and it only showed a locally stored password from before I used iCloud Keychain and it required my passcode to view.

MacBookWhooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Philippines
iCloud Keychain will work for any application that uses the Keychain. Google Chrome uses its own password syncing service through your Google account if you have one hooked up.

I just took a look at Settings on my phone and it only showed a locally stored password from before I used iCloud Keychain and it required my passcode to view.

It shows all of my passwords in Keychain. I never saved any passwords on my phone before I used iCloud Keychain. It shows everything. It didn't even bother to ask me for a passcode.

MacBookWhooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Philippines
I would lock your device with a passcode. I reported this to Apple.

I hope they'll be replying to your report soon.
Yeah, so temporarily I have to lock the device with a password?

By the way, I am now planning to totally erase everything on my phone and just install iOS and restore everything. Do you think that would work out?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I hope they'll be replying to your report soon.

Yeah, so temporarily I have to lock the device with a password?

By the way, I am now planning to totally erase everything on my phone and just install iOS and restore everything. Do you think that would work out?

I do not think restoring iOS would do anything. I have replicated the fact it doesn't ask for a pass code. Setting a device lock pass code, resolves the insecurity, but it definitely should require an iCloud pass code.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Any updates?

Sorry I didn't reply. I got an email back from the security team. Here it is:

Hello (Name Hidden),

Thank you for contacting the Apple Product Security team. We take every report of a potential security issue very seriously. This message is being sent to you by a security analyst who has reviewed your note.

Physical security, i.e. preventing others from taking unwanted actions at the device, is an important aspect of securing a system. The scenario you described is an example of loss of physical security. However, iOS offers a security feature to prevent this situation: the passcode lock. The following Apple Support Knowledge Base articles provide details on enabling this feature:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4113

We recommend you take advantage of this feature if you're concerned about the physical security of your iPhone.

Best regards,
Brandon
Apple Product Security

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.