Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the13bats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
My wife wants to sell her macbook, she finds it too heavy and really just uses a phone or table for everything online.

I am PC so pretty darn Mac stupid my wife has the macbook pro i5 13" mid 2012 OSX 10.9.2 ( need more info on it I will get it )

So last night I pulled up instructions on "resetting" it , it involved erasing the drive then re-installing the OS
Which was done by wife being connected to the internet, after a while it erased things and re-installed the OS, ( I am guessing you mac savvy know what I am talking about )

But, when trying to boot to what I call desktop it asks her to enter your itunes password since we wanted a clean like new comp she stopped there, so we never saw it boot up all the way,

My questions,

Is that erase, re-install she did good?

Is there a way to get it to desktop where a would be buyer can see it works? like a "demo" or not locked into a specific person...

Many thanks!
Cheers,
P.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Here are all the steps suggested by Apple before selling your used Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5189

If it asked for your wife's iTunes password after an OS X reinstall, you probably didn't deauthorize your iTunes acount (see step 1 in my previous link)

As for the desktop thing, I haven't found an easy way to "demo" a freshly formatted Mac. I usually just set up a temporary account to show it works to the buyer, and tell him he can erase it and make his own account afterwards.

the13bats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
pgiguere1...first thank you! and second i mucked that up,
It's not Itunes holding things up we can skip that it's the screen asking to create computer account name and password,

How do we set up this temp account you say that you do?

Again, thanks!

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
pgiguere1...first thank you! and second i mucked that up,
It's not Itunes holding things up we can skip that it's the screen asking to create computer account name and password,

How do we set up this temp account you say that you do?

Again, thanks!

Create a simple username/pw and give the buyer the info before you sell it.

Example:

username: User
password: user

the buyer can always change this information later on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.