Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today has added new channels from A&E Networks to its Apple TV, including A&E, The History Channel and Lifetime. Select Apple TV owners will be able to watch episodes from popular TV shows such as Duck Dynasty, Storage Wars, and Project Runway.

apple_tv_ae_history_lifetime.jpg
These new channels on the Apple TV offer a preview to all users, but full content is only available to cable television subscribers. Currently, the service is available to customers who subscribe to DirecTV, Verizon FiOS, and Cablevision Optimum, with support for additional providers coming in the near future.

The addition of these channels is part of a larger push by A&E Networks to expand their content beyond broadcast TV. Earlier this month, the network updated both its A&E [iTunes Link] and History Channel apps [iTunes Link], letting iOS owners stream live episodes of popular shows to their iPhone or iPad. Similar to the Apple TV, this iOS-based live streaming requires a valid cable subscription.

Article Link: A&E, History Channel, and Lifetime Channels Added to Apple TV

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
Wow. I'm in the UK and its not too bad here, I'm just not sure how those US Apple TVs are managing to cope with the silly number of channels they have! Navigating must be a nightmare!

Goldex

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
Keep 'em coming, Apple! Next: Spotlight!!

[/sarcasm]

Last edited:

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Hopefully in before the "why do I need a cable subscription?" complaints.

The model is what it is, and will take time to alter. Putting the infrastructure in place to potentially allow ala carte programming is a good thing. Yes, for now, it's tied to your cable provider, but over time, it's possible that some or all may go with independent subscriptions, depending on contract terms with the cable/satellite companies.

That said, I will whine about Apple needing a proper "App Store" for ATV channels, and opening that up to 3rd-party developers if they really want to get this ball rolling.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If they could only speed up the interface and navigation....

Although the iOS remote app does help. Whoever designed that tediously thin aluminum remote should be fired.

Still, the history channel can be quite interesting.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I agree, an app store for the :apple:TV would be great. There are so many channels that I don't use.

One question though: I've never used one of these channels before. Do I have to enter my cable service for each one individually, or can I just go to Settings and put it in once? It would really help if I just had to enter my info once and it'll work for all channels.

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Why no Showtime Anywhere?

For the TV/movie apps I only really use Netflix, Hulu (on occasion), HBO GO and smithsonian sometimes. Would definitely use showtime anywhere if it was on the Apple TV!

Hairllama

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
Very little point to adding this clutter to the AppleTV when cable subscriptions are required, but a number of large cable providers are not on board. To me it seems like the point of being able to have the content on the AppleTV would be to get around having a cable subscription.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
if i had the cable subscription required to access this content, i more than likely wouldn't be using these apple tv channels. what a hindrance

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Yay, more crap I can't watch

Apple turned a hobby into a joke, another front end to OLD Big-Telco's monopolistic overpriced subscription model, which I guess fits nicely in with Apple's greedy fascist tendencies.

I guess Cable lobbyists are way more powerful then Apple's ability to innovate and create a product that might allow use to cut the cord.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Apple turned a hobby into a joke, another front end to OLD Big-Telco's monopolistic overpriced subscription model, which I guess fits nicely in with Apple's greedy fascist tendencies.

I guess Cable lobbyists are way more powerful then Apple's ability to innovate and create a product that might allow use to cut the cord.

and how else are the shows supposed to be paid for?

a la carte is fine for people who watch one or two shows

cheezehead

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Well, it's there... 1/2 baked. Missing the majority of providers and subscription-only. I'll take the History channel on my Roku, no subscription required for some shows and available the day after it airs.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It is really getting time for a new UI ... getting way to cluttered and not well integrated.

These new apps don't have that hideous faux glass look to them which is nice. But yes the UI does need an overhaul and I'll be disappointed if something isn't announced at WWDC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.