Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:15 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Launches 'Better' Environmental Campaign, Shares Glimpse of New Nevada Data Center

In advance of Earth Day, Apple overhauled its Environmental Responsibility website with new content that reconfirms the company's dedication to operate its business in a way that is best for the environment. The updated website features a new "Better" video narrated by Apple CEO Tim Cook that explains the company's environmentally friendly values.

Keeping with this Earth Day theme, Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president for environmental initiatives, recently gave Wired an exclusive tour of Apple's newest data center in Yerington, Nevada. Apple is close to powering all its facilities entirely with renewable energy, with both its corporate office and data centers now at 94 percent and climbing. This Nevada facility continues Apple's commitment to obtain its energy from cleaner sources.

Apple's data center in Sparks, NV. Photo: David Calvert/WIRED
Quote:
Though Jackson can't take credit for Apple's renewable initiative, she monitors its progress and, perhaps even more important, spreads the word that renewables aren't just for tree-huggers, but are serious energy sources that can take on the biggest jobs. "No one can ever claim again you can't have a data center that runs on 100 percent renewable," says. "Once those proof points are out there, it makes it easier for policies to follow."
Though the company uses wind and hydroelectric power in its other facilities, Apple is relying on solar power in its Nevada facility. This design mirrors the company's Maiden, North Carolina data center, which uses two 100-acre solar fields to produce a total of 50 megawatts.

Apple is now building out a similar solar array in Nevada on a 134-acre field within the grounds of the Nevada facility. When completed sometime next year, this array will generate approximately 18-20 megawatts of power, with the remaining power for the center being supplied by geothermal energy.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Better' Environmental Campaign, Shares Glimpse of New Nevada Data Center
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Lionel Messi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Though the company uses wind and hydroelectric power in its other facilities, Apple is relying on solar power in it Nevada facility.
its*
Lionel Messi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:17 AM   #3
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

How about Apple launches a 'new products' campaign? You know, where where they release new products.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Lionel Messi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
How about Apple launches a 'new products' campaign? You know, where where they release new products.
Never knew Apple does that!
Lionel Messi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:17 AM   #5
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

we don't want green products, just new products

I don't buy an iPhone, just because it's 'greener' that's just a bonus
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:18 AM   #6
keterboy

Love it. Bravo!

keterboy is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:18 AM   #7
abhishake
macrumors regular

Quote:
They're revolutionizing the world. One "product" at a time. "Making the tools to inspire others to do the same..."
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Simmias
macrumors member

Quote:
Maybe these are the new products. iSolar Panel. iData Center.
Simmias is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Great use of Tim Cook for the narration. More of these please.
Matthew Yohe is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:22 AM   #10
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Wow! Tim Cook narrating...
mdridwan47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:25 AM   #11
moeafg
macrumors newbie

It's fantastic that big companies are using renewable energy to power their facilities . A lot of users will comment about how much "they don't care about green products as long as they have new products", but what they fail to realise is that their phones, laptops, computers aren't going to save them when the weather behaviour begins to become extreme.
moeafg is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:26 AM   #12
DanielSw
macrumors regular

Quote:
The get released when they're ready. Patience, grasshopper.
DanielSw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:28 AM   #13
diddl14
macrumors 6502

Nice! And if they now also fix the FaceTime 'easter-bug' I'm totally happy.
diddl14 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:30 AM   #14
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Lighting

Is the lighting that is supposed to be the sun added to this video? It wouldn't normally be coming over the back of the solar facility. The Solar Facility should be facing South to receive the sun, but it seems in a few places that the sun is coming from behind and the solar arrays aren't tilting to meet the sun.

Tough to say, maybe this video is mainly shot at dawn.

Anyway, good to go Apple. But really solar power is going to come on strong in the next few years. It is just getting too cheap. Apple isn't just doing this for the press. I bet it pencils out financially when you look at it over a 20 year lifecycle for the solar project.
TallManNY is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:42 AM   #15
Radio
Banned

I don't buy it

This is like skynet x10000
Radio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:46 AM   #16
Jonny1989
macrumors member

What American accent is this? I think it spoils the video.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:46 AM   #17
Jeff750
macrumors newbie

Love it

Apple is an example of a highly responsible corporation. Apple's values are just more reasons to love their products.
Jeff750 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:48 AM   #18
Canyonero
macrumors member

When I first read it's narrated by Tim, I wasn't that excited. After 10 secs in I was in awe, if he wants to sound exciting he can (compared to the keynotes). How awesome would it be to get a TV ad narrated by him on a commercial break. Nothing says "we care" more than the sort of distant CEO narrating these types of videos.
Canyonero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:50 AM   #19
DrPosaune
macrumors newbie

Breaking News:

Breaking: Samsung launches sBetter campaign.
DrPosaune is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:51 AM   #20
Chris5488
macrumors regular

"Better glue the batteries in MacBooks"...
Chris5488 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:52 AM   #21
pietrociao
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Messi View Post
its*
Thank you so much for your correction, I was struggling to understand that message and with your correction it suddenly made sense.
pietrociao is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM   #22
Mr Fusion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I don't buy it

This is like skynet x10000
More like the newest place for the NSA to mine data.
Mr Fusion is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:00 PM   #23
iBug2
macrumors 68040

He wasn't as bad as I'd imagined him to be, but still I think we can get a better narrator out of one of the VP's.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:03 PM   #24
michaelsviews
macrumors 6502a

Tim Cook Narration

So does this mean all new macbooks are coming with solar panels as part of going green

And on the initial start up of the mac it will be Tim's voice instead of the other voice telling you about voice recognition for the setup?

Skynet 101
michaelsviews is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:05 PM   #25
paulloewen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Apple recently said that they care less about specific times of the year for launching products. Where they used to have them spread out over the calendar year, they're now releasing them when they're ready. I think they want to avoid some of the things they've bungled, like maps for instance.
paulloewen is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion