Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Extends Company's Trademark to Include 'Jewelry and Watches'

Last June, Apple began registering for trademarks on the "iWatch" name in a number of countries, but since that time the company has been bolstering its trademarks on the actual company name "Apple" to also cover jewelry and watches, MacRumors has discovered.

By international agreement, trademarks are broken down into 45 different classes to organize the types of goods and services being registered for protection. Watches and other jewelry are part of Class 14, which is focused on precious metals/stones and products made from those materials. While some of Apple's trademarks on the "Apple" name have previously included some goods from Class 14, the company is now broadening and cleaning up its trademark applications in those areas. The moves come as the company is widely expected to introduce its "iWatch" smart watch as soon as later this year.

Among the recent expansions for Apple is Ecuador, where Apple filed a new trademark application in late December specifically to add protection in Class 14 for a long list of product types including jewelry and watches. Google translation of new category application for "Apple" trademark:
Quote:
jewelry; watches; watches; goods in precious metals or coated therewith; cufflinks or cufflinks; keychains; timers; brooches in precious metals or coated therewith; ornaments in precious metals or coated therewith; tie pins in precious metals or coated therewith; tie clips or tie clips of precious metal or coated therewith; badges of precious metal or coated therewith; bracelets of precious metal or coated therewith; Necklaces in precious metals or coated therewith; medals in precious metals or coated therewith; short chains and ornaments in precious metals or coated therewith; buttons in precious metals or coated therewith; clip in precious metals or coated therewith; boxes of precious metal or coated therewith; decorations in precious metals or coated therewith; jewelry; sculptures and precious metals products.
Applications in other countries have followed in recent months, including a nearly identical filing in Mexico in early January that again solely focused on Class 14. Other expansions have come as part of larger filings, such as in Norway, where Apple in mid-February applied for increased protection in seven different classes including a significant list within Class 14. And just last month that effort extended to the United Kingdom, where Apple filed to broaden its protections in over a dozen classes, including Class 14 for the first time there.

While new applications to protect Apple's use of its own name in jewelry and watches have appeared in a number of countries in recent months, the company has yet to make the move in all countries where it operates, most notably the United States where the "Apple" name is not currently covered under Class 14 at all.

Article Link: Apple Extends Company's Trademark to Include 'Jewelry and Watches'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

It's time to start watching these rumors closely!!!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:29 AM   #3
hybroid
macrumors member

Curious if Nike has applied for the same trademark protection as well. Might be a joint iWatch release?
hybroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:30 AM   #4
AstronomyiPhone
macrumors regular

Nice:
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:31 AM   #5
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

during the earnings call this Wednesday we will know if any products will be released this quarter based on predicted revenue.

I can't wait for the iWatch!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:34 AM   #6
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

jewelry and watches...

what are they getting into?
BJMRamage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Yelmurc
macrumors regular

I've come to the conclusion the new iWatch will look like a normal high end analog watch with sensors built in.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:36 AM   #8
alexgowers
macrumors 6502

The rumours are overwhelming at this point, i just hope apple has got something good up their sleeves, the whole area of smart watches feels like a disappoint already and we've not even seen an iwatch yet.

Personally haven't worn a watch for many years so i'm not the target market but i'm finding it hard for even my dream watch to grab my attention.
alexgowers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:36 AM   #9
TennisandMusic

Considering how buggy OS X and iOS are, the idea they are potentially getting into "jewelry" is a bit worrisome. They need to get the fundamentals right before they encrust them with sapphire.

Of course I am half kidding. Obviously this just seems geared towards an iWatch, not actual jewelry (Apple, please still fix OS X).
TennisandMusic is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 AM   #10
justinthesommer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
I've come to the conclusion the new iWatch will look like a normal high end analog watch with sensors built in.
But it will have to have some sort of screen to see notifications instead of having to look at your phone!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:38 AM   #11
xizdun
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybroid View Post
Curious if Nike has applied for the same trademark protection as well. Might be a joint iWatch release?
Apple doesn't need Nike's help on the iWatch, especially in regards to hardware.

Nike's role was to simply cash-in on the period before the iWatch with its FuelBand product. Did you notice how minor the enhancements were on the FuelBand SE—it was just another round for Nike to make money before the iWatch. Nike has no intention of competing with Apple. Tim Cook being on Nike's board gives Nike advanced knowledge of Apple's intentions. Nike will simply offer software (apps) to augment iWatch's capabilities to the benefit of both Nike and Apple—last thing they're going to do is step on each other's toes.
xizdun is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:38 AM   #12
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Considering how buggy OS X and iOS are, the idea they are potentially getting into "jewelry" is a bit worrisome. They need to get the fundamentals right before they encrust them with sapphire.
Mavericks on my Air and Pro run flawlessly. iOS 7.1 update fixed all of the problems for me that 7.0.X had on my 5S.

The time has come to encrust my products with sapphire.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Polansky
macrumors newbie

Call it negative or whatever, but IMO a 'watch' is not whats going to be a moneymaker for Apple.

It must be something very, very special or its going to be a fail.
Polansky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:40 AM   #14
driceman
macrumors regular

I haven't worn a watch in years... This product would really have to blow me away for me to even consider it. This coming from a pretty devout Apple fan...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:41 AM   #15
Elijen
macrumors regular

So if they didn't do this could I make my own jewellery named Apple? Sorry I am not a lawyer
Elijen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:44 AM   #16
carjakester
macrumors 68000

its coming...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:48 AM   #17
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

I can see Apple coming up with something beautiful. Not big and chunky like some of the other smart watches out there; knowing Apple I'm hoping to see something streamlined with a look that can compete with designer wristwatches.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:52 AM   #18
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

iCufflinks are coming, you heard it here first.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:55 AM   #19
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

I'm really curious why they haven't filed in the US. I would have thought that would be the first place they'd file for protection.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:55 AM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydcxx View Post
during the earnings call this Wednesday we will know if any products will be released this quarter based on predicted revenue.

I can't wait for the iWatch!
Yes. Apple guidance should be an indicator if anything new is coming in June.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:57 AM   #21
Redbeard25
macrumors regular

iHope they get a better name than iWatch.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:59 AM   #22
mozumder
macrumors 6502

told you that watches were jewelry, and not some geek product.
mozumder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:07 PM   #23
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMRamage View Post
jewelry and watches...

what are they getting into?
My theory: You have an iPhone in your pocket. So now with the iWatch, you can see what's on your phone without taking it out of your pocket. Next up, the iRing, so you can see what's on you're iWatch without looking like you are watching the time, this way you can glance at your hand and be more subtle while at a meeting, appointment, etc. You won't appear impatient looking at you iRing as you would looking at your iWatch.

After the iRing, the iGlass, which will be based on Google Glass. Apple will claim Google copied them even though Google Glass came first. Meanwhile legions of Apple loyalists will rush to Apple's defense, claiming Apple did iGlass right and were truly innovators.

In the futrue, their will be the iEar, a small earring type device where Siri speaks softly into your ear with any information you need from your iPhone, iWatch, iRing or iGlass. But wait! One more thing. The iProbe, the first insertable wearable device. Users will have various options to have this probe surgically implanted in their heads, etc so that the information from the aforementioned iDevices transmits the the knowledge directly to their brains.

Disclaimer: This is intended to be a humorous, lighthearted post. And if any of these ideas come to fruition in the future, remember, you heard it hear first.
AppleScruff1 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:15 PM   #24
PlanetFree
macrumors member

So we wont be getting an iWatch untill Apple registers Class 14 trademark in every country Apple has trademarks in, is that right can someone post if im correct
PlanetFree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:15 PM   #25
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

Finally! iJewel!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion